1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leicester v United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Sep 1, 2022.

1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I really don’t get it! You would think from the way we obsess over the player, he must be the new Messi at age 25. Fkin insane!

There is clearly something wrong with our transfer strategy for us to spend that much time chasing him given this outcome. Even now, we are still hoping that he changes his mind.

The impact of that failed policy meant we missed out on other viable options and ended up overpaying for everyone else that we got.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I'm not obsessed you ****ing morons.

It's a perfectly reasonable observation that, given how ****e they have treated him thus far and may well continue to do so, his 'loyalty' to Barcelona (in other words, the money they owe him) might wear thin.

Dick.

Treble likes this.
  3. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I don't think it requires much understanding to grasp that if, at any time de Jong had told us to bugger off, we would have. Clearly there has been dialogue between EtH and the player or his people and that there was sufficiently strong encouragement for EtH and the club hierarchy to so publicly ally themselves to this particular transfer.

The critical factor has been the millions in deferred salary owed to the player, which didn't come to light until we began transfer negotiations, yet still we continued to press for his signature. Ask yourselves why that is.

EtH doesn't strike me as a fool and by the evidence of our other signings this window, our recruitment policy seems sound. With the World Cup starting on 20th November de Jong is taking a calculated risk. If he had agitated for a move away he definitely wouldn't have played for the club again and the lack of game time would have undoubtedly impacted on his selection for the national team. This way he stands a slim chance of litigating to get some or all of his deferred wages and getting the odd game. Once the World Cup is over I believe we will go back for him in the January window.

Diego likes this.
  4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

But, but, but...... we put all our eggs in one basket <wah>

While in the meantime signing six other players.

Diego and glazerfodder like this.
  5. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

All speculation and wishful thinking <laugh> I would prefer to deal with people who declare they’d love to play for Utd , like the others we’ve brought this summer.

cytrax likes this.
  6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

How is what GF says (who is based in Spain) speculation, and what you trip out is fact?

I genuinely do not get what part of him being owed €14 million, and so would never say he wants to leave, isn't sinking in?

Soon as he does, he's effectively asked for a transfer.

It's really not that hard to grasp.

Diego likes this.
  7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

The point is that it was always a useless mess to begin with. We should have told both Barca and De Jong where to go.

Our transfer policy far too often is filled with summer soap opera of he said, she said. I’m convinced that the club will take hard lessons from the way that we conducted our negotiations this summer.

8. Christiansmith

and wishful thinking.

Are we basing that strategy in January on Dejong asking to leave because of the money he is owed ? Is there any possibility that he and Barcelona may come to an agreement to defer that payment and in which case he will NOT be asking to leave in January either?

9. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Maybe, but given it's only just September who really cares (or knows) for now?

It can only going forward be based on what happens between now and then. Why dismiss anything just because it's what you want to think?

And also, why tell de Jong where to go just because he (understandably) won't give up fourteen million euros?

glazerfodder likes this.
  10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

"It has now emerged that Murtough 'accepts' he handled the pursuit of the Barcelona star in the wrong way. According to ESPN, United chiefs have acknowledged they should have walked away from negotiations with De Jong much earlier than they did."

It's a no-brainer! I'm sure that the above will quickly be dismissed as "gossip", but I will be surprised if Murtough returns to Barca again after the farce of chasing shadows in the summer which probably almost cost him his job.

Christiansmith likes this.

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Now might be a good time to mention that we never "walked away" from it at all.
    The man wanted to come to us and still does but was being held to ransom for £14m. I wouldn't be surprised if this is re visited in Jan.

glazerfodder likes this.
  12. Christiansmith

The outcome determines the success. If we end up with no player after waiting and panting for him for so many months it should be obvious to most people except the ones in fairyland that we should have not kept him as a priority target for so long to the detriment of others. It’s like the humiliated groom being jilted at the altar (ignoring the prospective bride loud statements to all that she is not willing to get married) saying he will wait for her and wed her in January . Simply delusional.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

That moron is sitting on the bench today against Seville. He can't even be guaranteed a start for his dream team.

Christiansmith and glazerfodder like this.
  15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I still expect us to sign De Jong. It can still happen. Barca agree to play his deferred wages on the agreement they cancel his contract. As a free agent he's not bound by the transfer window and can sign whenever he wants. <diva>

I'm going to be following events daily on this. I'll keep you all informed <ok>

glazerfodder and Diego like this.
  16. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Wouldn't surprise me if we went back in Jan for him, if the situation is the same just tell him to bang in a transfer request and offer him a massive signing on fee to compensate.