1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leicester v Southampton, Tuesday 23rd April, 8PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints Fan4Life, Apr 22, 2024.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Less hopeful in play offs than I was because of missing players and recent results, so I’m relying on the old adage that the best team doesn’t always get through…basically hoping we are undeserving lucky bastards. <laugh>

OddRiverOakWizards and SaintinNZ like this.
  2. oldstocktonsaint

oldstocktonsaint Well-Known Member

First time for everything. Or more likely to be deserving unlucky losers.

3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Very much a Darjeeling man at this point.

Haven’t tried Twining’s Darjeeling though, have you and is it good?

4. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

You weren’t far off!!

5. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

In a way it is actually the opposite of the 'Moneyball' approach (I've seen that book/film spouted about Sports Republic) because they didn't just go for players with great stats but players that would bring little missing bits to the team and would overall make a good side, I know it was baseball and they used stats for the recruitment but as you said it was part of the overall judgment and not the only judgment.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  6. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Nothing beats a loose leaf Twinings Earl Grey.

I am also impressed that their decaf bags of Earl Grey taste just like the original. I do though add a minute drop of milk in it....tea aficionados will slate me.

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  7. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I haven't yet. I've mainly been hitting the Assam, breakfast tea or the everyday. I will sample the darjeeling and get back to you

Archers Road likes this.
  8. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Earl grey :emoticon-0119-puke:

9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I won’t buy anything other than Clipper Organic Earl Grey, it’s easily the best, and all Clipper bags are compostable, which Twinings and most other brands aren’t.

I’m a drop of milk person too, although if I ever run out of milk, a drop of lemon juice works too.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  10. thereisonlyoneno7

Yeah had the clipper a few times and it is really good. With the milk we now have almond milk rather than dairy, it is an acquired taste, but you get used to it. If I have Earl Grey out I have it with no milk now.

11. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

2 games left of the season and we are chatting about tea and dishwashers. We are on the beach as much as the players

12. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

We seem to be having a tea-centred meltdown-avoidance virtual group hug. No problem is so big that it can't be ignored. Personally, I expect to lose the play off semifinal over two legs, but I've renewed my season ticket and I'll still be at St Mary's next season. Football, eh?

13. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

If nobody from now until Leeds can get a winning run going, I volunteer to take on the playoffs. I had retired but everything that has followed the 25 undefeated has been a total disaster!

14. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

We’re in a total catch22. If by whatever miracle we did win the playoffs, next season would be an absolute shambles. We’ve seen in the last couple months how fragile we are & that (when pressured) Russball doesn’t work (with this team). Yes, promotion & we keep the best (?) lone’s, including RM & SR will invest (probably?) in a couple of players but we’ll be nowhere good enough. The plus will be well then have another 3 yrs of parachute payments thereafter. Miss out & SR will keep RM & with a weakened squad we will very quickly morph into Swansea #2. I can easily see The tribe down the road doing better than us.

......loading...... likes this.
  15. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Our main Achilles heel, as pointed out by many, even the more pro RM’s, has been goals conceded. Our away form at this, the sharp end of the season has been abysmal. Since the beginning of March; we snuck in at Birmingham & then just folded really. Rather fortunate at Blackburn & then Ipswich, Cardiff. We needed resolve, mental strength, leaders, smart game management & we’ve failed miserably. Not all RM’s fault but in my eyes he’s responsible. His style doesn’t work against astute teams. Anyway, the football gods are in charge now & I can see Ipswich playing & loosing to Norwich. We’ll be up against a team we’ve already beaten twice, so we know where that’s going. Norwich, Baggies final it is then. So beach then with all our team (obviously not the same location tho).

16. Archers Road

I’ve been saying all season that if we go up, we’re coming straight back down. That’s not really a criticism of the manager, the squad, or the style of play. It’s just a recognition that both manager and players need another season learning and building in the Championship.

Alternatively, we could get promoted and replace Martin and his football philosophy with some grim joyless manager grinding out points playing grim joyless football. Which might please some of the fans, but personally I’d completely lose the will to live.

17. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

Fortunately now, I left it too late to get a ticket. For a while I was disappointed but now pretty comfortable to have missed that opportunity!!!

18. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Should we somehow manage to get promoted I'd hope some loans were made permanent moves and the squad reinforced with players that make the grim and joyless route unnecessary.

19. Archers Road

Yeah, that would be the hope.

I’d happily take another season in the Championship myself, but the fact I really don’t like the PL for all sorts of other reasons, may have something to do with that.

20. thereisonlyoneno7

I am warming (actually positively hot) to the idea of one more year here. I didn't think it annoyed me at the time, but a year of no VAR has really made me hate all things Premier League. That and the big six bias that once outside of the PL is so obvious, makes me realise that I am a Saints fan not for glory, but because I actually enjoy watching a game of football that either team can win.