1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leicester City v Southampton Saturday 16/1/2021 8pm BT Sports

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by MorgansBitOnTheSchneid, Jan 9, 2021.

1. SoriaSaints

SoriaSaints Well-Known Member

I might be wrong but that Bertrand suspension will be for the Shrewsbury game which he probably play in anyway

2. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

They have changed it for only Premier League games now. Cup doesn’t count.

3. SoriaSaints

SoriaSaints Well-Known Member

And there was me thinking Bertrand was being clever with his booking.

4. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

I was very impressed with you guys. First half I thought you dominated, had us nullified in your defence bar the one moment, dominated the middle (Tielemans was quiet) and got in behind numerous times. Second half was more even and we did get more opportunities ourselves but you still looked to cause problems. Obviously the second goal comes at the death because you are pushing everyone forward. I dare say if you’d had Ings especially and a couple of others (sorry I’m not sure who else specifically you were missing) it may have been a different game.
    We weren’t at our best ourselves though but I think credit goes to Southampton for stopping us by playing with the intensity you do.
    I said it on the main board last night, forget Pep and Klopp, they should win things with the amount they spend, I think Ralph is the best manager in this league currently and if I could pick one person instead of Rodgers it’d be him :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

1 goal in 5 league games is a bit concerning.

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Now, now John don’t go spreading rumours like that. He’s hugely overrated along with that oaf of a CB who didn’t play last night. We don’t want anybody reading this and thinking the same thank you very much :emoticon-0105-wink:<laugh>

7. fatletiss

For Saints? Not for me. We’re playing very well, very hard to beat and creating chances even with a few players missing. Goals will come.

If we were playing rubbish and nicking a goal, I’d be pleased with the goals but concerned.

I was concerned all through the United game, even when we were 2 up

OddRiverOakWizards and StJabbo1 like this.
  8. fatletiss

Oh and well done to the Foxes, you’re a very good side although in Vardy and Maddison you do have a couple of characters I don’t care for much.

Libby, davecg69 and garysfc like this.
  9. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Maybe he thought that as well!? Ralph seemed a little surprised in the tv interview. Jeez, surely they knew?

10. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Though I’d love Maddison in our team (not so much the other one).

11. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

It was a good game between a couple of good teams. You do have quality all over the pitch and I’ve always coveted Ndidi. I’m pleased to see a ‘small’ team in the top 4 and hope we can join you again sometime. We need to build a deeper squad for that though

We never quite managed to produce the moment of quality that you won the game with. Our goal scoring potential is seriously diminished when we are missing Ings obvs, but also our main threat from corners and long free kicks, Vestergard, and chief ball winner Romeu

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  12. fatletiss

Oh yes, hell of a talent. Can you imagine him in our team if we gave him a run of 6 games

13. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Good game that could have gone either way. Foxes edged it with the finishing. The younguns coming in didn't let themselves down and will improve with game time. Looking forward to a strong second half of the season.

14. JohnTheFox

I was glad Vestergard didn’t play as we are awful at defending set pieces and JWP putting balls for someone that height would have caused chaos!

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  15. JohnTheFox

I think both get an unfair rep, Vardy is one of those who adds bite to a game and if he plays for you he’s a cult hero but is a hell of a WUM (as WBA abs Palace fans know).
    Maddison is just flashy but off the pitch seems very grounded, seems to have a good heart and was trying to lead the way with the celebration thing last night. I know he was involved with helping some terminally ill kids when he was at Norwich but the media like to paint his as a t**t like when he was dropped from England duty and went to watch the game in a pub and got bashed for it...

16. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Sadly, Vardy has history with us (Van Dick injury), but, I agree, he can be a total menace, but he hasn’t looked “on” his game the last few matches. Perhaps he’s got a niggling injury? If you lose him, though, you might struggle as you don’t seem to have a ready replacement.
    Maddison is class and, yes, he’s been painted by the media, but I don’t think he worries about that. What I don’t (and never will) get is that the media laud praise on Vesty, Ings, Ward-Prowse, etc then make a thing about a “big club” coming in for them. I don’t hear the same about Maddison, Ndidi, etc ...... How do you manage to get the bastards off your back and point them to clubs like Saints? :emoticon-0112-wonde

PE213 and StJabbo1 like this.
  17. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

In another reality, he did sign for us and got those 6 games.

18. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

I don’t think we found a head in your penalty area all game and we never drew any fouls near enough to your pen for a JWP shot

davecg69 and StJabbo1 like this.
  19. JohnTheFox

I remember the @Libby meltdown at the time :bandit: not on Pickford levels though! Vardy has gone off a couple of times with knocks recently, busy period at his age maybe. We have been linked with Edouard from Celtic who could be good.
    We are constantly getting media linking players away but they may have twigged that we let one per summer no more so they’ll probably pick one target. It may be Barnes this summer, I would have said Ricardo or Soyuncu but they have been out a while. Scholes is trying a campaign to get Fofana to Man Utd but he has only just joined so...

davecg69 and Libby like this.
  20. Libby

Libby 9-0

He's definitely a wind up and one of those you love if he plays for you. When he scored his pen against us in the cup shootout at your place a few seasons back he ran right in front of us to celebrate, he knows we hate him <laugh>

He did cost us a trophy though <grr><wah>

I do think you'll struggle when he retires, you won't be able to replace him with similar quality who won't end up moving on imo.

JohnTheFox and davecg69 like this.