1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leeds v Burton highlights

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by LeedsLover, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Very true. The thing for me is I dont care who leaves anymore. There was a time, when a quality player left,hed be replaced with someone inferior. Not anywore. Someone jumps ship now, we have the scouting network and resources to replace with better. Like this midfielder from the Japanese J League were signing in January. Likely another gem

ristac likes this.
  2. Millwallsteve

Millwallsteve Waterloo's Finest
    Forum Moderator

Doesn't matter how we're doing, we'll always take the piss out of someone and better when it's crippled or the shammers. <laugh>

3. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

Respect your views as always Ristac.....:emoticon-0148-yes:

To be honest, with the keeper so far out of his own goal area my granny could've scored, but granted it was a good goal.

Leeds needed to get rid of Wood one way or the other so we didn't end up in a rut, playing same type of football as last season.

The way we're playing now is testament to why he should've gone, multiple goals per game with the exception of the two draws, multiple goal scorers, and much better players, and the football is much better and exciting to watch, even the fans at the games recognise that.

Lassoga, I agree with those that said he reminds them of Viduka, he's big and lumbersome and can barge and bully his way through a defence however, he's going to come up against faster defenders and the through passes etc may need to have pinpoint accuracy cos he doesn't have the speed of many, but he knows where the goal is and doesn't seem to have to walk the ball into net.

He scored two on debut, and played a good debut game, he looks to be a far different player than Wood, and, after one game more exciting, but it is only his first game, and most players like to impress during their first game. I think he's going to be a good asset for Leeds.

There is a big difference between the strikers and midfielders we have now compared to last season, this season we are literally miles ahead, and the football and goals are showing that.

Leeds needed to get rid of Wood for the same reasons Monk had to leave, one way or the other, stagnation. I know fans were getting distraught at Monk might be leaving, and Wood might be leaving, and as you know I copped a lot of crap on both accounts, but we only have to look at our team now, and our coach, our position, our goals, and our unbeaten run to see the justification in why they had to leave.

Remember the two PNE games last season, first game Wood was literally marked out the game, we ended up with multiple goals and goal scorers, second game, Wood didn't play, we scored multiple goals with multiple goal scorers, I picked it back then, copped a lot of crap for that too.

We needed attacking mids, and the Don and Bremner answered my prayers........:emoticon-0148-yes:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  4. Eireleeds1

Edited that for you <whistle><ok>

5. Eireleeds1

Dont know how its happened,but weve had several strokes of luck at once and weve deserved it.Cellino selling up to what appears to be the best owner a club could hope for, Monk deciding to fcuk off at the perfect time just as TC became available (not the wally ejit) Burnley paying a kings ransom for Wood. We couldnt have written the script better if we did it ourselves

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wood staying or leaving and replaced with Lasogga wouldn't have made a difference to the style of play being adopted by Thomas. In my opinion (and correct me if I'm wrong) you are making it sound like the goals from other areas of the park is down to Wood leaving, it isn't. It is down to Thomas being a better coach (so far) and being given great backing from the board. The likes of Alioski and Saiz would still be scoring goals.

I just don't get this knock Wood every chance you get attitude, I know you never liked him but to claim you were right and we are better without him is wrong. If Lasogga turns out to be much improved on Wood then we are very fortunate. I don't ever remember you copping crap about Monk I too was never impressed with him, I could understand both sides, continuity build on what he achieved, get shot as we crumbled and often I said I believe Clotet was the bigger influence.

Yes you did cop flack regarding Wood and it wasn't surprising, knocking someone who scores you 30 goals in a season is never going to go down well.

7. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

To be honest, the thing that has impressed me about TC and I'm surprised no one has said this before is that he hasn't just started again with the team. He has built on what Monk did and not just rebuilt, the majority of the first 11 are from last season which in fairness could change as the season goes on. Monk instilled the graft and desire into the team, the conscious effort that the players need to work hard for each other and fight, particularly at the back to make sure we don't concede and give ourselves less pressure up front that we don't need to score every chance. The fact we are now creating more speaks volumes but I think Monk's philosophy is still very much part of our team and I commend TC for not tearing that away.

I get that there is hate for Monk because of the way he left and to some extent the same with Wood but I am surprised that people are prepared to ignore both their achievements last season. It's given us a platform no doubt in my mind.

8. LeedsLover

Like I said Ristac, I respect your views......:emoticon-0148-yes:

Personally, I don't think Wood would've fitted into the style of play we see on pitch at the moment.

Ristac, with respects, we must be better off without him cos of what's happening with our games to date. When Wood played we had very low goals scored per game, and very very low shots and shots on target stats, both have greatly improved. The Burton game had us on 30 shots at goal with 10 on target, that's a goal every 2 shots on target, did we have those stats last season.

So far both games Wood has played for Burnley have been very low scoring games, v CP, 4 shots, only 2 on target. V Tottenham, 13 shots, 1 on target = 1 goal.

For us, Newport game, 22 shots with 12 on target, that's a goal every 2.4 shots on target. Sunderland game we only had 8, but 5 were on target, that's a goal every 2.5 shots on target. Forest game, 18 shots with 4 shots on target, that's a goal every two shots on target. Our shots at goal have improved, our shots on target have improved on a goal per shots on target ratio.

The stats this season are going to show last season's stats for what they truly were, not very good, for want of a better descriptive word.

You call it knocking Wood, cos my opinions disagree with yours, I call it my honest opinion, even though they disagree with yours and others. Even the fans at games were singing Chris who?

Add the two PNE games last season (TC wasn't coach) to the games this season without Wood, it tells a story in our favour........:emoticon-0148-yes:

9. LeedsLover

With respects Josh, but have to disagree,

I think TC is calling his own shots with this team, which is probably why the football is more exciting to watch, and we're scoring more goals.

Let's not forget the profile report TC put together for Radz to read, haven't read it, but apparently it mentioned where improvements were needed to be made, with the players, tactics and during game .....:emoticon-0148-yes:

10. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

yes agree and monk was tactically inept during a game.his pride got in the way and it cost us.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.

11. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Sorry, Ristac & Josh, but with respect, and, of course, no malice, you're talking absolute pish <insert picture of monkey's bum>

But I respect the pish you're talking. Absolutely no malice. <insert another animal bum picture>

Now that we have TC as Head Coach, you'll all need to agree with me that Wood fcuked up 30 times last season, and Monk was only there for the duff start & calamitous ending to the season. <another animal bum picture insert>

Clearly he must have been incapacitated in a variety of ways when we used the huge middle part of the season to give us our best Championship points tally ever, to raise player & supporter morale, and end that awful habit fans had of watching games through their fingers. Time for you guys to get a grip <another animal bum picture insert>

Now if you'd all listened to me and my obviously superior football knowledge (learned from loads of NewsNow speculation articles and the opinions of lots of tv/radio commentators), we'd have played Silvestri in goal, giving us a seasons total of zero goals against, and with Adryan supplying the ammunition, Antenucci would have scored at least 300 goals, with 2-300 assists <another animal bum picture insert>

With total respect and absolutely no malice (even though my actual words say otherwise), anyone would think that Monk, Wood et al combined to lift us above mid-table obscurity last season. Oh, wait a minute .... <doh>

12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Ristac & I had this discussion about Lassoga V Wood. My view has been that Lassoga is a player from a higher league who is capable of scoring loads of goals. Wood scored lots but missed lots too. Yet wood has already bagged one dor us & two for Burnley in the Prem so hats off ro him. He will score goals if given the chance but wint get many chances in the prem with better teams, plus he will still miss some. Lassoga scored 2 hit the post, had the keeper pull off 3 great saves & missed a chance. To me that means he hit the target 6 times so a 6-1 ratio on target, Wood does half/Half dor me & wouldnt have got 7 chances in that game?

Credit alos due in the way Lassoga lead the line and his link up play brought more to the team. Thanks Woody but I choose Lassoga

13. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Doc, I agree, the point I as making was the I don't think he needs to be insulted. He scored a lot of goals with us and took the opportunity to go to the prem. I don't really care if he is a success with burnley or not but I'm not going to have a dig at him just because he left. LL doesn't rate him, fine but he can't argue against the fact that Wood scored 1 every 2 games, which is a pretty damn good return.

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Agreed where would we have been without him, it would have been like another season unders redders having 1 shot on target per game

15. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Wood was great for us last year, he was never going to have a similar goal tally this year with new talent across the squad, and he sold when his stock was high. He's now on a good wedge and doing ok, so fair play - but he's history.

He was a player with a limited skill set that suited Monk's limited tactical vision - of the two I was more concerned with Monk going due to the unexpectedness of it.

Fair play to Radz he took his time to get the right guy, when all of us were squealing for action.

Hindsight is 20-20, and now I wouldn't want either back.

All about the future now, MOT. Best feeling for years.

<cheers>

16. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Same <ok>

I agree Doc Lasogga might create more for himself too, he might dribble around 5 players and slot one home, he might end up with 40 goals, my point is Thomas has not changed the style of play because Wood has left. We are a better outfit this season due to the signings and we will create more chances as we have players like Saiz and Alioski over Sacko, Doukara, Barrow, Bridcutt and because players like Roofe are finding their feet.

17. LeedsLover

And we're still in Championship.

LoL, if I said grass was green you'd find something to have a dig at, it's in your nature..........how many players have you insulted in past?

18. strachallister

strachallister Well-Known Member

Not sure about where this thread is heading !! I have been at two home matches and will be tonight against brum ! We are a totally different team from last season and long may it continue !!!

LeedsLover likes this.
  19. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

I find it odd that you disagree with this, it seems so obvious to me.

I'm also commending TC because most coaches come in and think they know best, completely scrap what the team was good at the season before and you end up in complete stagnation rather than improving year on year. Regardless of what you think, it was pretty clear that Monk knew how to get a team defending well and committed. We haven't lost that with a change of coach by the looks of it so far.

20. LeedsLover

I disagreed with it Josh cos the football we're playing now is much different to what Monk had us playing, nearly every game we tried to walk it into net.

How many times did you read on here, or watch the game on puter and saw, or read it was a flat boring game. We're not trying to walk the ball into net anymore, we're not playing to get it to Wood anymore, we're playing good attacking, and exciting football, we're taking more shots from edge of box, which I previously, and continually said we needed, we have attacking mids who can score goals, from inside and outside the goal area, we're not playing one half games anymore, the players are actually enjoying their football.

Our stats have improved enormously, and our unbeaten run and 2nd position in championship is testament to that to date.

Monk knew how to get a team defending well, maybe, but couldn't bolster the midfield or attack. TC has the defence defending well, without Bartley, and playing much better given the number of games we haven't conceded, TC has brought Cooper along in leaps and bounds.

Your're wrong imo Josh, TC obviously knows better, he has scrapped what we were supposedly good at last season and drastically improved it, he's also changed our style of play, our passing accuracy, our shots on goal and on target, our goals to shots on target ratio has greatly improved, that may fluctuate throughout the season.

I personally can't see what TC has built on from Monk last season. TC's calling his own shots, and at the moment he is justifying what he wrote in player / game / tactics profile which he presented to Radz, and won Radz over.

I don't see how you can find it odd I disagreed with your previous comments about Monk, our results are speaking for themselves at moment. I disagreed with you when you said Silvestri would never play in any of the top 5 European leagues, but he is.....:emoticon-0148-yes:

Eireleeds1 likes this.