1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds Utd v Millwall

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

So did Jimmy Greaves. Never did him any harm. :)

2. lifecheshirewhite

Well your manager doesn't agree, just said Leeds are by far the best side you've played.

3. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

Bielsa managed to pull a rabbit out hat, but he wasn't doing during our bad run of form. Hew'll never change, his attitude seems to be "it worked 10 games ago, it'll work now.

Every team needs a plan B, it's just that Bielsa is a stubborn twat and can't see it.

Pablo did a lot better this game, and his corners / free kicks have had an impact, Klich played a lot better except for that close range 3 pointer, which is unusual for him.

Millwall didn't have the fitness to keep the pace up throughout game, other teams are fitter and the games will continue with teams coming at us from the off. All the coaches have seen what happens when teams come at us and stop us playing football, and Bielsa has no answers cos he ain't got a plan B.

Still a long way to go and stronger teams to face, let's hope our football style has returned, and isn't hindered.

4. brisbane-lion

brisbane-lion Well-Known Member

what would he know? That's just a lame excuse 'cause we lost to Leeds.

5. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Well I thought I knew, until I read the comments on here. Don't know what it looked like on the telly (my recording didn't happen), but I thought I watched a 4-4-2 in the first half: Ayling - White - Cooper - Alioski. Bielsa had led me to believe that White was playing CDM, the rascal. It seemed perfectly clear to me that he wasn't. I changed my mind about who was playing CDM often in the first half, and concluded that it was Klich more often than Dallas - but more often no-one at all! These guys were making the same basic mistake that Forshaw made as CDM, and that is forgetting to hold back when the FBs go on the attack. They didn't, leaving us even more exposed at the back. Ayling dropped back into a back 3 for the second half. Tactical genius from a stubborn coach that doesn't have a Plan B ;-)

2 individual mistakes cost us goals (it happens!), but apart from that, I enjoyed ALL of the game. I'm now absolutely convinced that EFL referees have some sort of clandestine game going on where they get a point every time they upset Leeds fans. This guy won hands down this season, which is saying something given some of the performances we've seen. Have to say though that one particular assistant was giving him every assistance. How the fcuk could either of the officials miss the goal kicks that should have been corners? Shocking.

Delighted to report that Helda played well in the second half. Very well. Sadly, Hilda didn't do so well in the first. :) Seriously, was really pleased with him in the second. He worked well with Ayling & in particular, Pablo. Delighted for the guy, & hope he keeps Poveda out of the team with performances like that. Same goes for Bamford keeping Big Kev out. He normally covers a huge mileage, but tonight he excelled himself. 2 goals too. Just as well Bielsa didn't read the remarks on here during the match & act on them, eh? Klich was at his best. Wonder if we should play him further back in future? Gave him a lot more space to work with, which he pounced on. Can't fault anyone, tbh. All tried their best.

Have to mention Millwall's antics, though. 2 players in particular were ridiculous. Don't know their names, just #7 & #9. They kept throwing themselves on the ground, usually writhing in agony. Indeed, had they been concentrating, they would have realised that no-one was anyone near them at times, far less the ball. In fact, even the ref didn't get conned, which shows you how bad their efforts were. Not sure if the telly caught them, as their timing was so bad that the ball was well out of shot when they went down.

Had a wee look at the table at this stage last year. The most obvious thing is that the table is more compact this season, especially the top half. We're 2 points behind last season, & +2 ahead in GD. Doing ok & long may it continue. Btw, only QPR (1) & WBA (5) have scored more goals than us, so why are we so fcuking fixated on scoring more goals?

6. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Morning all I fell asleep after going two down. Up early and see we won so my game plan worked.

lifecheshirewhite and Eireleeds1 like this.
  7. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

I wondered if it was more 3 at the back with the two wingbacks being told to attack.

8. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

I thought Phillips lack of contribution defensively was a problem all game. Time to get rid? I mean, you could scarcely tell the guy was on the pitch.

9. Nickwhite68

Nickwhite68 Well-Known Member

Big turnaround second half by which time my nerves were shattered. A few shouts for man of the match but I thought that was the best 45 mins klich has played for us, he was running the show hopefully he can maintain it for a few more games. Another must win on Saturday, consistency needed.

10. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Another biggie from last night is it’s looking increasingly like wba have gone into free fall and may not be promotion candidates at all. That would create a little more breathing space at the too if they slip out of the equation

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020

11. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Thought klich and Alioski were both poor first half and excellent second. (Though that miss from klich could have cost us<laugh><laugh>)

Didn’t think we were terrible after the first 5 mins of the first half, just seemed to move the ball a bit slow and lack ideas in the final third. Second half we seemed to up the tempo... and played some lovely stuff but it might have been about getting into better positions to do allow that.

ristac likes this.
  12. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

My internet went down this morning so I didn't see the game. I've now read the comments and, well some should be hanging their heads after their half time comments. I'm sure they won't be but to be honest these losers need to get on the bus. Millwall like it on not were one of the best form teams in the league, until last night. Bielsa turned something on at half time and so how can people say we need a plan B. We don't need one we just need to play the other team off the park as we are capable of doing and address the only deficiency we have and put the ball in the onion basket. We were better in this respect last night and hopefully more options will allow us to continue improving our shot to goals ratio.

Top of the league Mates and a few good signing to help the squad.

13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I thought Klich was okay first half, Costa and Alioski were both lucky not to be dragged off but I’m glad they weren’t as they turned it on in the second. I thought we had 26 shots, we actually had 28 according to the BBC of which 11 were on target. When you think how many were straight at the keeper, the crossbar was struck and that Klich miss we papered over a crack last night in terms of converting chances.

I’m not taking it away from the team, it was a great confidence boosting comeback but I’m glad we made the two signings that we did, sure they might get a chance and squander it but at least there is competition for places now.

Eireleeds1 and NostradEmus like this.
  14. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Go on name and shame. You know you want to. Maybe check highlights first

15. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I know they say these things even themselves out over a season, but we are getting **** refs regularly. No problem with the peno, but the ball was out before hand. The doulble hand ball against QPR the ref was unsighted apparently, but tonight the ref was looking at their keeper when he pushed the ball out for an obvious corner, but was given as a goalkick. It's unbelievable. <grr>

bucks_is_leeds and Farsleyexile like this.
  16. Irishshako

WHEN we go up<whistle>

17. Irishshako

<laugh> Well I'm hoping Este that I've caught it in time. I let it go for weeks last year and ended up with broncitis and it took me months and 4 or 5 treatments to eventually get the all clear. :(

18. Irishshako

<applause> Like I say Essex, it's a forum where everyone is entitled to express their opinion, but sometimes the knee jerk reaction to losing or going 1/2 goals down is a bit silly IMO:grin:

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  19. Irishshako

I thought he may have been penned in a bit, I'll have a closer look at the replay. But Ayling was caught napping and didn't even jump, so it's 50/50 who was to blame.<ok>

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  20. lifecheshirewhite

Well not me, some people over react with frustration, but it's only because they care.
    Bamford gets incredible support at the games and every clubs fans get angry when they lose. People need to remember, the **** results came first not the moaning.

Eireleeds1 likes this.