1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds Utd v Leicester City Match Thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Feb 22, 2024.

1. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Firstly it was a great game and an absolutely brilliant comeback so massive praise to the players & Farke for making that happen. That shouldn't however stop the analysis of where and how we can improve because in many ways last night game showed us more about our weaknesses than we've learned in the entire season.

At least our chairman Paraag Marathe was over from the States to witness in person both what the stadium/atmoshere could be like with an extra 15000 and also the work that must be done for us to be competitive were we to achieve promotion.

It's not only that though as Farke needs to work out what's required for the remainder of this season as well.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  2. Jammy 07

The substitutions turned the game on it's head last night so does Farke change a winning team when actually the team that started the match should probably have lost it ?

3. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was an awful game as far as Leeds are concerned, but we got very very lucky. We could have easily have been 3 or 4 down.

Our first shot on target came when Roberts came on (78 mins). He was far better than Gray bombing down the right wing. It allowed Archie to move into midfield where he is best.

Up until then, Leicester had controlled the midfield, and concentrated most of their attacks down our right, with Rodon having to move out of position to help Gray out.

4. Jammy 07

Farke having plenty of work to do this season and if he gets the big decisions wrong then it might cost us promotion.

Where should Archie Gray play (if at all) ?
    Should Connor Roberts come into the side ?
    Does Firpo who usually does well stay in ?
    Gnonto is in great form but what about Dan James ?
    What happens when Struijk is fit ?
    Bamford surely starts ?

5. Old Git

Old Git Well-Known Member

Didn't Archie move to left back.

Aski, Wakey, NostradEmus and 3 others like this.
  6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Some right miserable sods here this morning. Wait till you're back conceding five and six to City scum Liverpool etc next season. Of course you'll be claiming you're enjoying that I suppose.
    Some right weirdos knocking around <doh>

7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Against Leicester, 100% Roberts should have started (just like I said in the write up). We need to look after Archie, not zap every bit of energy out of him, especially now, we have a reinforcement.

Roberts is a fresh pair of legs, and is used to working with Amps, Rodon and James - 100% he should now be getting more game time.

It would be great to be able to rest Ampadu when Struijk comes back, but Kamara has been off the pace over the last two or 3 games - its a nice problem to have.

Especially on the counter, Dan James is so dangerous, I'd pick him over Gnonto.

Piroe hasn't set the world alight, though at least he gives more of a team effort than Bamford; but saying that Bamford gets into much better finishing positions.

Marcos Barber, OLOF and Jammy 07 like this.
  8. ellandback

Forum Moderator

He was much higher up the pitch, though predominantly, yes, on the left.

9. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Come on Eire it's a given that you've got to be certifiably a nut job/weird to even contemplate choosing the whites as your club.....<whistle>

10. LeedsRover1

LeedsRover1 Well-Known Member

Firstly it’s a nice dilemma to have, the fact we have choices. Also it’s difficult because both Gnonto and James have done very well, and Archie has the ability to take on a good few positions, by the look of it.

We won’t come up against any sides better than the foxes, so don’t expect our weaknesses to be quite so noticeable in the remaining games.

So, who do we go with? Like a broken record, for me Bamford has to start. In terms of Gnonto/James I’d like both to get game time, and whoever starts being dependent upon the opposition’s set up/weaknesses. Thought Roberts did well, and I would have no problem with him if he were to start. However Archie, has done well and feels (for now) should be first choice. I’d keep Firpo at LB, even though I still doubt his defensive qualities. However I prefer Sam Byram when fit. On Pascal, thought he’s been tremendous before his injury, but would bench him, until he’s better than whose currently playing. But all this is immaterial cos I’m not the manager.:1980_boogie_down::emoticon-0100-smile

11. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Even me? <yikes>

12. Jammy 07

You got to choose ?

That doesn't happen in our family <cheers>

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  13. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

You have awards so yes

ellandback likes this.
  14. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

It's matchday and wakefields first home game since January 6th. We are still top but have played more than anyone else.

15. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Player Ratings. (A bit late cos I had to be up early)

Meslier - 8. Probably his best game since Anfield last season. Some good saves and no panic when passing avenues were cut off.

Gray - 6. Tore apart for large parts by Dewsbury Hall and Mavididi but to be fair to him he was pretty much hung out to dry by the rat Gnonto. Played a huge part in the 2nd goal from left back.

Rodon - 6. Form has dipped for the last 3 games and last night saw him struggle for the first time. Part of that was due to having to push to the right to help Gray due to Gnonto the rats reluctance to defend.

Ampadu - 9. Man of the match. The game turned on the arrival of James, Bamford and later Roberts but Ampadu had clearly seen enough of those in front of him and started running out of defence and straight at the heart of Leicester which created more attacking options. Defended impeccably.

Firpo - 5. Leicester didn't really attack him as they focused on the exposed right back area. Firpo didn't take advantage to give us more impact with the ball and his defending was dreadful. Further evidence that we can get away with him against poor opposition but really need to recruit if we go up.

Gruev - 6. Didn't do alot wrong and worked his blood to water. He was outpaced regularly for the first time and maybe some limitations were exposed for the first time since Stoke away. Interesting next few games for him to see how he responds. Was still decent in possession and made some vital tackles.

Kamara - 7. Held his own but struggled to keep possession as easy as he had previously. He appeared to be out of position alot but that was due to sloppiness further forward.

Georginio - 7. Similar to Plymouth. Difficult to rate his performance. Absolutely dreadful for the first hour as Leicester crowded him out. Started to get in to the game as the game opened up. Had a hand in all 3 goals with a deflected cross for Roberts, an assist for Grays attempt and won the free kick which led to the third. Sounds weird but if you take the 3 goal involvements away he was probably a 3 out of 10.....but he had 3 goal involvements.

Summerville - 6. Not really given the opportunities to really get at Leicester but still had 2 or 3 really good runs but dithered instead of shooting. Leicesters tactics pretty much kept him quiet.

Gnonto the rat - 5. Looked a threat going forward. Refused a golden opportunity to shoot 1st half which was negligence at best. Was at fault for Leicesters goal, didn't track back to help Gray. Him and Dewsbury Hall neglected defending and Gnonto the rat ended up completely overshadowed by Dewsbury Hall and Mavididi. Tactically naive.

Piroe - 4. Great chance on the first few minutes. Also had a decent headed chance which he mistimed. A few neat and tidy hold up efforts but largely off the pace. Rutters reluctance to let the ball go early starved him of chances as his runs were largely ignored.

Subs.

James - 8. Him and Roberts completely turned the tide on the right hand side and put Leeds on the front foot within seconds of coming in to the game. Assist for Bamfords deflection.

Bamford - 8. Immediately started to stretch the Leicester defence by running behind giving Georginio the room to impact the game as he did. Was an integral part of the comeback.

Roberts - 8. Similar to Dan James. Improved the right back area immediately and worked with James well.

Anthony - n/a. Saw the game out intelligently.

16. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Unfortunately missed the game last night, unforgivable I know. Just watched the extended highlights, got away with one but lm more than happy to take it.
    Thought Bamford did brilliantly for the Roberts goal, moving away from goal to give Roberts an open target.

17. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

Great result last night, still buzzing.
    The way we turned it round could put pressure on Leicester. They've got Hull and Southampton back to back in March which they won't fancy.
    I got fed up with watching them surrounding the ref every time there was a decision made and, especially that prick Dewsbury Hall, rolling around trying to get players booked.
    Taking Mavadidi off was a turning point. I don't know if it was a reaction to Roberts coming on but he was ripping us up.
    They've lost 2 on the spin now, what if they don't even make autos?

18. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

One other observation that I picked up on last night and mentioned.

Leicesters tactics were very good at nullifying our game last night. It took Farke way too long to figure out that our right side couldn't cope. It was clear to see. He eventually fixed it but it was probably 10-15 minutes too late. Leicester could and should have had it wrapped up.

We got away with one.

19. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

Leeds 12. Leicester and Ipswich fuk all. nothing else to say is there. Mon the Whites!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALAW!!!!

blonogasoven likes this.
  20. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

I didn't see the same Kamara as others did. Gruev was everywhere and when he had the ball he looked to play a positive pass. Kamara just wanted rid of it, some of his passes put players in trouble so I don't think he had a great game. They're not going to come up against a MF like that again this season but they both struggled.
    If Pascal was fit we could have put Ampadu into MF and we would have been much better.
    I thought Gnonto was our only threat going forward for the first 30 mins. Summerville was nowhere, Piroe was struggling and they were snuffing out Rutter, but I would pick James. He's too good for this league, not sure he's good enough for the PL though.

Totally agree with your MOM he wasn't out classed at all.