1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds Utd v Derby County

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Which we've actually switched to in a few matches when the opposition sends a second striker up. We've just classed it as '3 at the back', and continued to play the same way. I expected something different form a 3-3-1-3, perhaps naively.

wakeybreakyheart and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  2. Whitejock

There's a pattern - if Davis started, it was 3 at the back (or 3-3-1-3, if that's all it is). :)

3. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

So a back 3 of Davis, Cooper and White,, 3 midfielders Phillips, Hernandez and Klich, No10 Roberts, front 3 Bamford, Nketiah and Costa :biggrin:

No fb’s <yikes>

wakeybreakyheart and Whitejock like this.
  4. Whitejock

That would be a good team, although I'd prolly argue for Dallas to replace Pablo, given his sparkling performances this season. Pablo is another subject, tbh. I've been very disappointed with him these last few games. I heard rentagob Whelan saying we should retain him for 'that little bit of magic', but FFS, do we really have to wait 6 or 7 matches for a 'magical' assist or goal? I'm personally happy for more copious magic-free assists & goals. Rant over. :)

ristac, FORZA LEEDS and Leedsoflondon like this.
  5. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Afternoon NickWhite68.

Ben a while fella

6. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Are you surprised about Hernandez.

He's 34, and should be used more sparingly, say 2 out of 3 weeks, then a week off

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Almost looks like a 5-3-2 when defending.

Nice balance.

8. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

So are a few other teams, what Bielsa needs to weigh up is does what Bamford bring to his formation outweigh his misses that are ultimately costing us points? Would we need to create as many chances if the ones being made are being converted more efficiently?

9. Leedsoflondon

Don't like that at all, too many playing unfamiliar roles and no real natural wingers, Pablo maybe excepted. Secondly, as we keep saying creating chances isn't the problem. Scoring them is. For me I would only like to see Eddie in for Bamford to see if we score more from what we create.

10. Whitejock

Yes I am, Ell. This is the beginning of the season. He's produced 'magic' when tired before, even towards the end of the season. But nothing is working for him. I truly believe he's lost a yard this season, but that's not essential imo. Passing is essential, and he's not lived up to his usual standard for this, far less produce magic.

11. Whitejock

You say that like Eddie is going to put away every chance. I've watch him miss quite a few!

Bielsa doesn't have him as a sub for nothing. He's clearly needing a lot more tuition as he wastes tremendous energy running around like a headless chicken at times. There's a pattern to follow, & he's not learned it yet.

Gessa and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  12. Leedsoflondon

WJ. I'm not saying he will put away every chance and I'm not saying I'm right, but I believe he'll score more regularly than Bamford, who let's face it, we know will miss sitters, he did last season and he is doing so again. Has Eddie not scored the same number of goals from significantly less game time baring in mind that half of Bamford's goals came in one match?

13. Whitejock

As I said, Bielsa is the judge. Every goal Eddie has scored has been against a tired defence. People keep banging on about how good he is & how many chances he'll put away. And I hope he does. However, Bielsa is perfectly aware of his capability & sees him daily. I've seen him play u23, and if I had to listen to the Eddie pushers, he should have scored about 20 goals against lesser opposition. He didn't.

Let me take you back to last season. We had the same kind of adulation & calls for starts for Clarke. This was after only a few appearances as a sub against tiring teams, and also with a reputation, but no proven substance to it. So he was given his start. In fact, a number of starts. And he's been on the slide ever since. Why? We don't know, but I'll guess that his confidence is at an all time low as he's not made the leap from sub to starter, which he clearly wasn't ready for.

Will this happen with Eddie? Bloody hope not, but I'm guessing Bielsa got a fright & is taking heed of what happened. It might be that he's cautiously over-reacting, but we'll just need to see. Time to be patient & trust Bielsa, imo.

14. Whitejock

Have to say that I'm having a good day today.

1. 'Udders beaten 4-2 to remain bottom with 1 point & joint worst goal difference.
    2. Scum getting cuffed 2-0 by Wet Sham to drop to 7th place.
    3. Currently Pampard's team getting beat 2-0 at home.

I'd have settled for 2 of the 3, but I'm enjoying this Brucie bonus. :D

15. Leedsoflondon

You could well be right, though 'adulation' is a bit strong, I just think that he is a more of a natural goalscorer. So we then just have to accept that Bamford WILL miss a hat full of chances and somehow not get frustrated when it costs us two more points as it did at home again yesterday. Clarke simply hasn't been the same since his illness, which has clearly affected him more than perhaps we think

16. Nickwhite68

Nickwhite68 Well-Known Member

Evening elland hope you're all well. Had a bit on these last few months and still riled how last season ended. Think the league is wide open this year anybody who can put half a dozen wins together between now and Christmas will be in a really good position to go up.

ristac, ellandback and Irishshako like this.
  17. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Evening pal, frustrating as ever, but its part of the fun of being a Leeds fan

18. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

No woe here just saying as i see it. But not using the pace earlier in the game is just plain daft. As for Alioski and harrison forget it both are not worthy of a starting spot. Hows that for yorkshire straight talking. <laugh><laugh><laugh>

19. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think it’s the combination not working rather than the players, drop Alioski and put Douglas back in.

20. lifecheshirewhite

Yorkshire ? You must be eligible for Greek citizenship by now. ;)