1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leeds Utd v Chelsea Match Thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 10, 2022.

1. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

The players seem to be doing as Jesse has asked/instructed them to do and for that simple reason it's difficult to blame them for tonights performance.

Unfortunately the system we're now playing is flawed...as shown by all our players being within 40 yards of our goal and no one breaking forward when we're in possession. It's the complete opposite of Bielsa who had players high and wide to create spaces in the midfield so we could play out if we chose to.

Incidentally my analysis is from when we had 11 players on the pitch and not after the sending off.

Tough times but it's not over yet and we go again on Sunday.

Over to you Jesse to come up with solutions that actually work.

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Jammy the opposite of Bielsaball is the low block and then quick transition. We had no low block and no transition never mind quick transition. How many times did we fk about at the back with pointless passes and then try and go down the left flank and have countless players down that side close to each other so we were tripping over each other and were easily stopped. Like watching schoolboys with everyone within 5yds of each other and no outlet. Crap

No midfield and no striker

3. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

I think jesse marsch did not tell the players to pass to Chelsea. He looked baffled at Arsenal at the Leeds bottlers in the first half. This squad is not fit for purpose and never has been. I wanted more players pre season and look what we got. Leeds are being run by a chancer in it for a big pay day sell off. I feel sorry for any coach having to come in and work with the limited ability of our players tactics this and formation that. I have seen enough now and we are just bad.

southernwhite and Eireleeds1 like this.
  4. wakeybreakyheart

No players that are any good too.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  5. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

LL was right then.:)

6. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Only when we are winning.<ok>

ellandback likes this.
  7. wakeybreakyheart

Always was so he got banned... They don't like it up em you know.

8. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think too many people are assuming this is Bielsa vs Marsch

Me personally it’s not the case, I think Bielsa was on the spectrum and refused to ditch man to man marking, if he’d have done that there was little reason why we could not replicate the previous three seasons, in Bielsas defence we carried a lot of injuries

Bielsa sacked, take sentiment out of the equation and I’m okay with it, it was coming. We’d seen the signs the dressing room had become divided and we were getting torn apart defensively

Marsch just isn’t up to the task, he was the wrong replacement. It’s as simple as that, Bielsa was too stubborn and his time was up, Jesse just doesn’t know how to coach.

It’s not Jesse vs Marsch camp, it’s simply Jesse isn’t good enough.

I agree we lack quality and depth but not 11 players, nobody was complaining the previous three seasons. You can see it in the players faces, no respect for Marsch or what he is attempting to do.

We’ve gone from an over trained super fit team who needed the man to man marking tweaked or dropped to a team that look unfit and clueless. Too many (myself at times included) are quick to jump on the players yet they’re trying to follow the orders of a guy who spends more time reading to them and trying to inspire with motivational quotes.

The players don’t believe in Marsch

foolee, bucks_is_leeds, Doc and 2 others like this.
  9. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

They better believe in relegation.... that's my quote!

Irishshako and xbpod like this.
  10. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Too many people ignoring the real problem. Its the muppets in charge at club. Simple as. Coaches can only work with what they had.Their lack of foresight and knowledge will bite them seriously in the arse if were relegated. That's the one positive Ill take from it. Radz should have sold up a summer ago and Ill bet he regrets it now

11. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Risty his entire footballing philosophy is based on man2man marking - he couldn't ditch it and replicate the previous 3 seasons. It was a fundamental reason for the previous 3 seasons. He said himself there was no alternative.

This may actually be true. But it's completely unsubstantiated and no matter how many times you repeat it on the same thread doesn't make it a fact fella <laugh>

xbpod and Eireleeds1 like this.
  12. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

I don’t blame the players at all for any of this. I think every single one of them is trying their utmost. Their confidence is shot and they don’t seem to be responding to the new coach. The pressure has become too much for them - it’s overwhelming.

We’re done.

Eireleeds1, Jammy 07 and ristac like this.
  13. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Even the players can spot bullshit a mile off
    At least with Marcelo you couldn’t understand a word he was saying

ellandback likes this.
  14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You’re seriously blaming Radz? He might be guilty for keeping hold of Orta but he’s brought back the ground, he’s got us promoted, he’s run us properly without weekly negative news, he’s not sold a single key player, he’s spent huge on players like James, Rodrigo, Firpo, Raphinha, Llorente, Koch and invested in repairing the youth set up.

15. DJMarl

DJMarl Well-Known Member

The reality is .... With Bielsa we could string a few passed together and keep possession (*mainly), and now the team look like a school boy side who literally cannot keep the ball for more than 3 passes (Normally 2!) and cant even play a simple pass without it been intercepted.

They look like that they've lost any confidence that existed at all(obviously), but also they look like they've given up. I've just watched the Kalvin interview after the game, and his whole persona looks like he is sulking and I could have sworn I can see that he has a expresssion on his face that says just that. A bit like my 11 year old son who sulks when he cant get his own way.

Lasso just isnt the correct man for the job imo. Why give him the job of surviving the relagation battle, when he has no experience of the premier league at all, along with not much regarding relegation battles as well?

What we have to remember, is the fact these players are supposed to be professionals, and so far they havent acted that way. To have two consequative games with 2 nasty tackles, and 2 sendings off at the start is shocking. Ayling should be making an example to the younger players, but his tackle was reckless. Then to have a younger player do another horror tackle in the next game says it all. Where is the role models in this team that all the players can turn to? Its certainly not Lasso, and it would usually be Cooper, but Im doubting that now as well.

The team has lost the team! Sound ridiculous, but they all are now acting like rabbits in headlights with no clear leader / role model. I dont think they have bought into Lassos tactics/methods at all.

I have everything crossed for the next two days, but Im not holding by breath. The reality is if Burnley dont get any points from their remaining fixtures and we dont, we are still relegated. At this stage, I cant see us even getting any points from Brentford, never mind Brighton.

It makes be sad that after all the time we spent outside the Premier League, that we are about to leave it again unless a small miracle happens. I want to be proven wrong, but as you all know been a Leeds fan is never an easy job. Just as we get stability, we employ Ted, and now we could face been back in the Championship with a clueless manager, and a very high wage bill.

Its time for the players to step up in these last two games, and look like they give a **** without been sent off!

#RANTOVER!

bucks_is_leeds, OLOF, ristac and 2 others like this.
  16. Jammy 07

The players are doing what they're asked and are left chasing shadows. Half the team presses high in the Chelsea half whilst the back four sits off and leave Mason Mount or whoever in 15 yards off space in between. If that was my son's U15's team I'd be screaming (again) at someone to mark the free player who's going to link it all together.

Whether they believe in the tactics is unknown but the facts are they're not currently working.

17. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

It would be typical Leeds if we now went on to win our last two games and still got relegated <grr>

OLOF likes this.
  18. DJMarl

DJMarl Well-Known Member

I bloody hope so!

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  19. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

We don't know if they're doing what's asked consistently in terms of when to press etc, but yesterday i've already stated earlier in the thread that i was bemused by both the the initial formation and then the failure to address the gaping holes in midfield. As Emu said... 3 centre halves loosely marking lukaku leaving them to over-run us in midfield leaving gaping gaps in defence and with no one to pass to in attack.

20. Jammy 07

My observations of the technical area would suggest that Jesse is happy with most of what they're doing as he's not often seen giving instructions or tweaking things tactically.

Does seem to like the odd hand written note though.

FORZA LEEDS and ristac like this.