1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds Utd v Brighton

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

FFS! We were bad, but not that bad!

Think you have to reset your expectations. Hugely.

We're a team in our first year in the PL, & slowly learning the realities of all the PL brings. WTF do you expect?

And you're the second to mark up the clown. "Didn't do anything wrong"? Don't suppose you noticed him spill the ball needlessly? If he had been on the line, it would have been another clownish goal. And not to mention his needless punches & crap distribution. Perhaps it also escaped your notice that he hardly received any passes. What does that tell you about his standing in the team? Fcukin' 6??? 0.6, more like!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Makemstine Roger and 2 pennth like this.
  2. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Told you all there’d be hell on here if we lost, back track to beginning of season when I said first objective this season is survival
    Some others criticised me for that they were looking at Europe etc
    Well up yours welcome to the real world

3. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

OK so we all pissed off at another loss.
    But, on the bright side, we are still 12 points clear of the drop zone.
    That is 4 wins, the bottom 3 have a combined win total of 5 from a combined 53 games.
    I really do not fear a relegation battle.

On how to improve, Ben White would be a great signing, we only have 3 CBs, some of which are injured and over a season all will pick up cards so will get banned at some point.
    We recently have a makeshift defence hence players playing out of position, not ideal.
    He could also play KPs role as no one we have seems to be able.
    Thoughts?

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

There was only one major difference today and what we normally expect to see whoever we play are chances, chances and more chances. Then we can moan about the missed chances and we have done that for 2 and a half seasons. Today we didn't create chances and we didn't create chances because Klich and Rodrigo were cut out of much of the play by too many long balls out wide or cleared long by Cooper, Ayling and Struijk.

We didn't do what we always do and the pitch made us play that way

foolee and Makemstine Roger like this.
  5. Whitejock

Este, if we're honest, there's no-one in the PL that could fully replace KP, never mind our team! :(

White was pretty crap at it. Struijk is mostly playing as a bog-standard DM, without the KP capability to control the game. No-one has managed it, quite frankly. Every attempt has been 'acceptable' at best. The defensive aspect has usually been well covered - it's the important controlling part that no-one successfully manages, far less replicates. Failures include: White, Struijk, Jenkins, Forshaw, Klich & McCalmont. The latter was the best I watched - but only for the u23s, sadly.

My one & only hope is Llorente, but we'll need to wait for that one, hopefully.

6. esteponawhite

Well said, my thought about white was for the CB role and possibly KPs, but as you say Llorente should be the replacement, pity he is injured.
    Not sure about the kids the step up is massive, seems Doc sees more of them than most of us any ideas?

Whitejock likes this.
  7. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

White was that bad that we ended up preferring Struijk in that role by the end of last season.

The best person I have seen play there when Phillips wasn't available was Forshaw closely followed by Klich.

Struijk does OK. He just isn't mobile enough at this level. Nowadays you need a nippy little ****er like Kante.

I'll tell you who would be ideal for us..... Drinkwater. Plenty of experience in the holding role and can ping a long pass. Or we could tell Kalvin to chill out a bit on the booking front.

8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

How Brighton are down there I don't know,thought they dealt with us quite easily they have some decent players and a few missing as well today. We had a bit of pressure last 20 but created little, our crossing is abysmal.
    Thought Roberts looked ok when on,poveda no end product again,Pablo tried but no killer pass the time.
    STOP THE SEASON:emoticon-0103-cool: we did great last time afterwards:1980_boogie_down:

9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Jack Jenkins does a great job for the 23s and says he tries to model himself on Kalvin, but he needs to step up and take his chance. Last weekend he was like a fish out of water, but blame Bielsa for that.

The obvious guy to do the role is the guy who does it for Spain when asked and was doing that role more than his usual CB role fir his Spanish club side before he joined us. He has done it against many if the best players un the world so guessing Bielsa will put him there the next time Phillips is out.

esteponawhite likes this.
  10. leeds down south

leeds down south Well-Known Member

upload_2021-1-16_21-23-12.png
    https://understat.com/league/EPL

Says a lot about Brighton! Least we're only 1 place below our "expected position".

FORZA LEEDS likes this.

11. Whitejock

Have to disagree with you about Forshaw. He actually cost us a few goals and a lot of frights way back when he played DM. The classic example is that he should have remained back to support the CBs when they went forward. He didn't. He attacked too. Kinda difficult to stop the opposition bursting down the field when you're in their penalty box. TBF, this specific role is unique & I get that it went against his attacking instincts.

Oddly enough, it's the other way round with Klich for me. Can find a pass, but not so great on the defensive side.

To be absolutely fair to all the participants, it's not an easy job. KP wasn't so hot at it when he started out, was he? I recall him getting the half-time hook more than once.

12. oldschool

Wow that board looks like something you see in a stock market trading room....only 1 stat counts...kick ball over white line in between goal posts more than opposition and you will receive 3 golden points regardless of possession

xbpod, 2 pennth and Whitejock like this.
  13. Whitejock

Yup, meant fcuk all to me as well. :huh:

14. leeds down south

leeds down south Well-Known Member

Think it's a season look of the stat they put at the end of MOTD on expected goals (xg). Alternative sites probably calculate it different.

Was quite interesting to look at last season when tight for promo in Feb. Showed Forest for example were massively overperforming and they completely fell out of the top 6. Also quite a good indicator as to how a team will go the following season (maybe not the Prem which is less competitive due to the huge differences between the top 6/7 and the rest).

Whitejock likes this.
  15. esteponawhite

Anyone lump on BHA with the odds that were being offered?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  16. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

not without a seance first

17. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

leeds down south likes this.
  18. oldschool

It's ok if you are into all that stats stuff,but expected goals this
    It's great if you're into stuff like that, expected goals for, against, points etc but for old gits like me footy is a simple game,I mean would any stats have expected bamford to be on 10 by now in the prem or what statistician would have predicted bielsa to be in his 3rd year at one club...we need some quality bringing in simples, we don't need a stat to tell us that

Gessa likes this.
  19. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Tbf he posted those stats to confirm what you were saying, that Brighton are in a false position and should be higher up the table.

leeds down south likes this.
  20. oldschool

I knew I was right then....:emoticon-0131-angel not into stats as you probably figured, but going off today's match they are in a false position..maybe I need a nightcap<cheers>

leeds down south and FORZA LEEDS like this.