1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leeds United v Aston Villa 2nd October 2022 at Elland Road

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by FollowMe&LeedsUnited, Oct 3, 2022.

1. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Hi everyone, welcome back. Although my new website isn’t quite there, I am hoping it will go live very soon and I’m looking forward to getting my blogs up and running again. It was nice to hear from other fans of how they have been missed so far this season which is greatly appreciated.

It seems ages ago since we’ve been to a football game due to the postponements of both the Nottingham Forest and man utd games due to Her Majesty the Queen dying and then the international break. I really wanted to be able to sing the National Anthem in the ground with our fans which would have taken me back to the greatest game of all, Wembley in 1972 when Leeds United won the FA Cup for the only time in our history. Seeing Her Majesty, the Queen present my hero Billy Bremner with the cup was a fantastic feeling when we won the game. Prior to kick off, Tommy Steele led the community singing with Abide with Me which is still my favourite hymn to this day. Seeing the whole stadium singing this along with the National Anthem was one of the most awe-inspiring moments of my time as a Leeds United fan and still sends tingles down my spine as the memories will stay with me forever. Since then, we as a family have had our own heart-breaking loss with the death of my mum last Wednesday. She has left a big hole in our lives but will be proud of the legacy she has left behind with our family. Thanks to everyone who took the time to speak to me today about this, your kind words are greatly appreciated. Although I was very subdued during the first half, I did rant at the referee a few times in the second!

The game was a late kick off at 4.30pm but I still wanted to go into the ground at 2.30pm before realising that the turnstiles wouldn’t even be open. After chatting to other fans my granddaughter and I made our way into the Kop and down to the front. Before I headed to my seat after taking photos, when the team went to stand in the centre circle, I thought we must be going to sing the National Anthem after all. After standing in a row, they suddenly did a huddle and the game kicked off! I do feel we were cheated out of paying our respects at the Nottingham Forest game. It was good to see lots of mascots today too.

Team: Meslier, Struijk, Cooper, Koch, Harrison, Aaronson, Kristensen, Rodrigo, Adams, Sinisterra and Roca.

Subs: Firpo for Roca (59), Ayling for Kristensen (68), Bamford for Rodrigo (68), Klich for Aaronson (78), Somerville for Harrison (79).

Subs not used: Klaesson, Llorente, Gnonto, Greenwood.

The game ended 0-0.

Referee: Stuart Attwell.

Attendance: 36,582.

Booked: Sinisterra, Roca, Rodrigo, Koch.

Sent off: Sinisterra.

Marsch was banned from the bench today due to his sending off in the previous game.

It didn’t take long for the time wasting to start from Villa with Tyrone Mings the culprit. As he had to be spoken to again as he was still taking too long, the referee should have yellow carded him and that would have put an immediate stop to it. Instead, the disruptions and the play acting continued unabated from Villa as the referee lost control of the game very quickly. Things got very heated, and I lost count of the bookings at this stage. We’d Meslier to thank for keeping them out, although he struggled with some of the crosses, but made up for it with his shot stopping. Although we came close a couple of times our best chance came from Rodrigo who saw his shot saved by the keeper as we went into the break on even terms.

I still haven’t seen a replay of what happened, but Leeds were reduced to 10 men when Sinisterra received a second yellow, then a red minutes into the start of the second half putting Leeds under pressure. With the crowd angered this upped the atmosphere as the fans got behind the team. Attwell went from bad to worse as with every touch on a Villa player he gave free kicks but letting some tackles go on us. Poor Aaronson was on the receiving end of numerous fouls and was seen limping quite a few times during the game. Villa with the man advantage looked dangerous numerous times although I hadn’t realised, they’d had 19 shots on goal. To be honest, if they’d stopped all their play acting and time wasting, they might have got the points. As it was, we came away with a clean sheet in the goalless draw; one point is better than none and we certainly had to battle to get that!

Next week sees us travel to the worst ground, Selhurst Park. It’s not the ground itself that is the issue for me but the actual journey there as I hate it, as it seems to take forever. I do think that stems from the playoff game against Charlton that we played at this ground. Due to an accident on the M1 where sadly some Leeds fans were killed, we didn’t arrive at the ground until half time. At this point I’d a massive migraine and was in so much pain, I didn’t enjoy the game. As we leave Leeds at 5.30am, hopefully I’ll sleep most of the way there and back too. See you then, LUFC – Marching on Together!

Gessa, OLOF, ellandback and 5 others like this.
  2. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Condolences on the loss of your mother Heidi

FollowMe&LeedsUnited likes this.
  3. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your mum Heidi. Thoughts with you and your family.

4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry for your loss Heidi thoughts going out to you and your family

5. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Condolences to you and your family Heidi. Sure have missed the football. Unfortunately it still hasn't returned seemingly

6. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rally sorry to hear about your Mum.

7. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your mam, Heidi. As if you hadn't had enough to deal with of late.

#btw, I can confirm that I found the three stone you lost. Want it back? :D

8. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

Heidi, sorry to hear of the loss of your mother.
    Keep on writing.
    MOT

9. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

There is not much more I can say that the lads haven't already said, but sorry to hear about your mam and the one thing that can't be taken away from you are the memories of the good times you had with her. Take care Heidi. LEEDS LEEDS LEEDS<ok>

10. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

Thanks for the support which is appreciated. All I can say is that it is the end of an era but my mum and dad would be proud of the legacy they left behind with our family.

FORZA LEEDS and Irishshako like this.

11. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

Things have gone to pot at the moment for me too but need to get back into it quickly as it can so easily go the wrong way.

Whitejock likes this.