1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Bowyer has a nice plot - but he has resigned

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Feb 26, 2020.

1. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

Unfortunately true.

I don't want to 'turn against' Lee Bowyer.
    Even with his poor recent record I wanted him to be given time to turn things around.

But if he has set himself against the new start for CAFC under Thomas Sandgaard and Ged Roddy, how can he expect to keep his job.
    If Charlton were still winning and properly beating teams (promotion form) LB could fight his corner.
    But we aren't.
    We're a million miles off that.
    And Bowyer is looking and sounding like a broken man.

If Bowyer is opposing what the new owner wants, what is the point of carrying on?
    Time isn't going to heal that breach.

2. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

Still think it goes back to the naming and shaming. Jonny Williams was a popular player, and to publicly humiliate him by taking him off soon after bringing him on, then lambast him in the post-match interview, Bowyer would not have behaved like that a year ago. And when he took Morgan off for not tracking back was harsh I thought. It must have been one particular occasion, because Albie had been doing his defensive duties in that game. Shortly afterwards Morgan got sent off for flying in needlessly on the halfway line. Albie took it on the chin and said it improved his game, but it doesn't look that way from here. I have never called for Bowyer to be sacked, but I defy anyone who watched yesterday's horror show to mount a case in his favour, other than loyalty.

3. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Yep. Loyalty is what we are clinging to now.

4. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

I do not trust Roddy, we were doing OK prior to his joining even with a growing injury list but the chemistry between Roddy and Bow is clearly not right and performances have suffered the longer he has been with us. Also, his (on behalf of TS) comments with regard to the Academy were a worry, seems as he may look to restructure (downsize) the best running part of the Club and I wonder how Steve Avory will take to that!.... remember this is the guy who designed/wrote the Elite Player Performance Programme for the Prem League.... WOW what a success that has been!

The Penguin likes this.
  5. The Penguin

He'd better not tell Sir Steve Avory how to do his job.

6. deleted.....

This is what TS said about Roddy...
    “He [Roddy] is also working quite a bit to help us analyse pre and post game, how we train, how opponents are playing – he’s responsible for that part of the organisation and the people involved on that.” .... since this introduction performance has dipped and Bow has been blamed!

about the Academy ....
    “Ged’s role here includes helping to create a platform for Charlton Athletic that helps integrate those players to be ready for the first-team, whether that’s coming into Charlton’s or a future at another club." .... I can't see Steve Avory being happy with this intrusion, look how many players Steve has progressed to the first team, he really doesn't need advice from Roddy!

7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

What are we saying here?

That Steve Avory and Lee Bowyer are being undermined by the man Thomas Sandgaard has appointed to look after the Club for him?
    I cannot accept that.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Ken Shabby likes this.
  8. deleted.....

Why not?

9. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Because I have seen no evidence that Thomas Sandgaard and Ged Roddy are acting against the Club's interests.
    They aren't like Duchatelet and Meire.

The fight for our Club's very identity, which began in 2014 (and has now been won), is not the same thing to me as living in the past and resisting all change.

10. deleted.....

I am not resisting change but I do think that destroying the Academy and forcing Bow out in preference for a man (Roddy) who has a history of failure is not a good thing. Murray forcing Curbs out a year early and appointing Dowie was not a good thing but Murray wanted change for why?.... because he wanted change! .... well that went well didn't it!

11. Dick Plumb1

Dick Plumb1 Well-Known Member

This thing with Roddy is just Social Media gossip. Let us see where we are in the coming weeks.

Smudger603 likes this.
  12. PL54.

PL54. Member

Why do you give a **** ?

13. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Hello Kevin:emoticon-0136-giggl

CafcFactsStats and Dick Plumb1 like this.
  14. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see bits of your arguement but it doesn't stack up for me. Like the quote from Angeldust, this is all missing some proof, which as fans, we probably won't see. I think we can all probably say that we have players enough to expect better on the pitch, both in terms of performance and results. There was speculation back in january that Bowyer had 'lost the dressing room' which I'm seeing muttered here and there again. But there is no way of proving that from our standpoint.

But TS has so far stuck by Bowyer in the face of a pretty meh season, in a mire of a division, so I don't see him as forcing Bowyer out. Yet. Something is clearly wrong here. We had that period where Bowyer seemed to be possessed by the shade of Karel Fraeye as he went from one duff line up to the next, culminating in the stupid defensive line up against Rochdale that might have cost him his job in another club. He appears to have returned to a more normal style of play, but we are way off being attactive or even grinding out results - saturdays point was mere luck- and I cannot see how Geddy has much say in any of this.

Sacking a manager is generally a gamble unless you have a very good one lined up, and our record in the last few years, albeit under RD, was poor. We don't know how well TS picks a manager, but really it should be a final straw. Forcing Curbs out was a bad decision, and the Dowie appointment made no sense as he had just led Palace to relegation. But we were in the Premier then, we are now festering in league one, and looking like a mid to bottom half of the table club into the bargain. Change is always dangerous if it goes pear shaped, but stagnation is not good either.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Smudger603 and Dick Plumb1 like this.
  15. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Until Saturday I always thought the fans would support Bowyer if they were allowed in to the Valley, but they wouldn't support a performance like Saturday's.

16. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

The only thing I’d say is that Bowyer brought back the feel good factor as far as the crowd was concerned and on our day the crowd became the twelfth man, I know it’s the same for everyone but I’d think no home crowd must affect the team

Ken Shabby and ForestHillBilly like this.
  17. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

i think people should step back and have a rethink. yes, results are a bit sh1t. but we didnt get a good owner till a week before the season started. this squad has had no pre-season. january we were handicapped by the salary cap and so players we wanted probably couldnt come to us. this squad is weak because of the effects of things outside of LB's control.

i have been p1ssed about recent results. i wont pay to watch anymore. but i dont think swapping manager every few months will help in the long run. all teams have bad patches. we've loads of reasons why it's still happening.

think of the positives instead. we're no longer shopping in poundland. our matchday coverage has improved. we'll soon be back at the valley. all the sh1ts have gone.

18. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

Think Thomas Christiansen would be perfect for Charlton.
    Currently managing the Panama national team, was brilliant for APOEL, but didn't work out for him at Leeds.
    Being Danish, and played for Sandgaards favourite team helps his cause too.

Dick Plumb1 likes this.
  19. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

This^

20. The Penguin

It's not just results though, it's the performance. I thought we'd had a good January window, but only two out of four of the players have made an impression so far, although it's early days yet. One of the successes has been Millar, playing on the left, yet he gets shunted around to the right, or central. Why? We've just bought a right winger. I've never called for Bowyer to be sacked, but we seem to be going backwards, and he looked very dispirited on Saturday. We've got a shedload of midfielders but young Pratley is often the only one putting in the hard work, which seems to be unappreciated by some, a bit like Kish.

Ken Shabby and Dick Plumb1 like this.