1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Bowyer has a nice plot - but he has resigned

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Feb 26, 2020.

1. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

Of all the players that came in the one I am most disappointed with is Gilbey. He was MK Dons player of the year last year. But he has been absolutely terrible for us. I don't know why he hasn't settled yet.

lardiman likes this.
  2. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I would give Bowyer some slack over the injuries, as he is having to shuffle players again. We played a couple of games with no recognised centre backs, and I imagine he felt he had to protect the defence.
    The transfer window was also a tough one. As @The Pub Landlord says some players triggered extensions. There was a very limited window between Sandgaard getting the embargo lifted, and the actual window closing. And he had to find players who wanted a league 1 wage cap salary, and were good enough to please manager and fans.
    But Bowyer hasn't helped himself. Skipping the comment about the fans, which he later apologised for, the attacking confident football has vanished, replaced by a nervous tippy tippy, go nowhere style we can't seem to manage. Worse, instead of looking to ignite creativity, he jumps on a player like Williams for apparently skipping a tackle. Someone might point out not all eleven.players on the pitch are midfield hardmen - how long would Claus Jensen have lasted if he was just charged with that role?
    My worry is Bows may have list the changing room, but does seem to have lost his way. He needs to get the team attacking, the midfield working, and tighten the defence, and I worry he may not have the nous to do it.
    I've seen very few posts demanding he be sacked, but there are a lot that want a better style of football. It's been poor all season, and the winning run glossed over how limited we look and instead of pushing on from that we just carried on til other clubs worked us out. I hope Bows can get us back on track.

Smudger603 likes this.
  3. Clb74

Clb74 Well-Known Member

A better style of football?
    Has Bowyer not always played the same style?
    I never thought I'd be one to defend Bowyer.

4. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

I said I'd never call for his head and that applies, but when a manager loses the dressing room it ends up one way. Graeme Souness was a Liverpool legend, but when he started publicly blaming players his position quickly became untenable. It's worrying for those of us who have always supported him and desperately want to see him turn things round.
    What was his role at Milton Keynes last season? Different from wide left?

dick plumb likes this.
  5. dick plumb

He was an attacking midfielder. We played him as that against MK Dons, it wasn't a success.
    I also hear that we will be bringing in two players in January, if players go back to their parent Clubs it will be more. One of the deals is close to being done. It is a midfielder and striker we are looking at. I would also bring back Lapslie who has been scoring goals for Mansfield. I also think they will send back Levitt to Manure and QPR want Smyth back. Also Norwich have got a few injury problems in defence, unfortunately I can see Famewo going back.

6. The Penguin

Any word on Maatsen?

7. dick plumb

I can't see Maatsen going back to Chelsea what would be the point? He is not going to get into the first team.

8. The Penguin

Neither did Gallagher.

9. dick plumb

The reason that Gallagher moved was Swansea paid a lot more to Chelsea for his services. Now we have an owner that would not let that happen. Gallagher didn't want to leave us. This all came from Steve Gallen.

10. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

How would a live crowd have reacted to the Jonny Williams episode? The fans never forgave McOxo for pulling out of a tackle, even though the manager did.

lardiman and dick plumb like this.

11. The Penguin

Quite a few fans seem to be writing Bowyer off already. I'm not so sure. He's a tough little bugger who is desperate to succeed, and who knows a lot more about the game than some give him credit for. Wimbledon will have done their homework, same as other teams, and will be hustling us at every turn. Whether or not he can find a midfield capable of matching them for energy out of the players available is doubtful, but it's something he has to do somehow if he's to turn things around. If not the game will follow the usual pattern, which needs no description!

lardiman likes this.
  12. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

If we do indeed have a team who can't cope with the opposition getting in our faces, it's over for Bowyer.
    There are probably about 5 footballing sides in this league, and the rest will get stuck in.

13. The Pub Landlord

The Pub Landlord Well-Known Member

I can imagine that LB himself would relish getting into the middle of it and can't understand anyone thinking differently.

There isn't a lot of difference in height and physique between LB and most of the current midfield who are considered too small and lightweight.

Billy Bremner and Scott Parker also did very well for shorties.

I am in sympathy with what LB said, possibly not the way he said it.

Smudger603 and dick plumb like this.
  14. A likeable little fella

A likeable little fella Well-Known Member

Outside influences, a big upheaval from Milton Keynes to the SE7 area.

15. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

16. The Pub Landlord

The Pub Landlord Well-Known Member

The dreaded "vote of confidence "?

Smudger603 likes this.
  17. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

could be. Hadn’t thought of that

18. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

Normally means gone within a week

19. A likeable little fella

A likeable little fella Well-Known Member

Small is beautiful.

The Pub Landlord likes this.
  20. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder- your too fuking small to be beholded <laugh>