1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee and Birchall listed

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by BSG, May 31, 2013.

1. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Not great surprises there; Lee is too injury prone and probably on too high a wage to carry for another season and Birchall simply hasn't proved himself. Good luck lads

2. brb

brb Guest

Another MA decision, in regards to Charlie Lee that I am not happy with. Cue for Lenny <whistle>

3. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I'm actually really surprised by the decision on Charlie Lee. I though MA loved him due to his tenacity and ability to change a game. Wrong decision IMO.

4. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

Not unhappy about this, yes Lee is a surprise but it only means we will be bringing another player to replace him and perhaps improve on him! Will have been on one of the biggest wages at the club as he came down from the championship to play for us and other clubs were chasing him. Like him as a player as really gives his all but have to trust the manager as we may all talk like we are footballing masterminds but he is the one who truly knows! Birchall can be a good league 2 striker and its sad to see what looked to be a very big talent get ruined by injury, however there is no room for sentimentality in football and he was never going to break into this squad and would be better for both parties if he were to find another club. Where will they go? My tip for Lee would be a team like Crawley which would be good for both player and the two clubs as they could pay a decent fee for a good player, everybody wins. Birchall seems likely to go to Wimbledon, just see him fitting in very nicely at the lower end of the football league. Thanks to them both and hope they go on to do well as both are young enough to go on have another 10 or so years in the football league!

5. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

I also have a feeling Crawley could be his next destination.

6. MikeGills32

MikeGills32 Member

Absolute pony. Birchall yes. But lee is good enough for league 1!

7. gfc1234

gfc1234 Member

maybe Lee wants to leave?

8. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

STAT ATTACK (according to wiki)
    Lee only started 21 league games all season with 9 sub appearances. Now given Allen's take on fitness and the fact that Lee hasn't had a significant injury (only niggly little tweaks etc) is it any surprise that he is going. Also if Lee is on his way that does free up wages to keep Payne.

9. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

I must be the only person who doesn't see the appeal of Payne! When he was here last season he genuinely was struggling to get into the team last year and with good reason. Both Robinson, Lee and Allen were better than him in my book and when we did play a holding midfielder Mad Dog chose Frampton over him! A good couple of months in the championship (during which he was relegated) and everyone is raving about him! I'd snap your hand off for 500k for him! Good player but overrated because of his youth and the fact he has come through the club.

10. Lenny38

Lenny38 Member

A real shame about Lee, i'm very surprised, I still think he's a class act. Birchall just isnt good enough.

11. Steve347

Steve347 Active Member

Injured too often and gets booked. Use the wages to get a bomb-proof midfielder like Hess or Smithy were

12. passit69

passit69 Member

Sorry i disagree,but i may be a bit biased,as i have like the way he has played for the last couple of years,but it all depends how MA wants to play next season,personally he needs a "B" plan apart from sit and hope for the last 20 mins of a game.

13. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

Hearing rumours that Lee was asked to take a pay cut by Allen and that Lee straight up rejected the idea refusing to consider a decrease in base salary prompting Allen to put him on the market. Now as I said it is only a rumour but I could see this having some basis in fact due to the fact we signed him from the championship whilst in League 2 and I can't imagine that he would have decreased his wage any to play at a lower level, if anything we may have had to pay him more to drop down to League 2. Interesting idea if nothing else, also heard that Wolves may want him as Kenny Jackett is a fan but feel this is nothing else but rumour.

14. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

Good Luck lads hope things work out for you both. Havent forgotton how Charlie & Whelps came down on loan in 2010
    when Hessie and the squad were struggling and kick started our season for us.
    If Birch can stay injury free, maybe he can rekindle his goal scoring form with a long run of games in L2 or Conference.

15. Damo666

Damo666 Member

I'm a mixture of surprised and not surprised by Lee. If you're going to be an effective player you have to stay on the field and he didn't do that. His experience at a higher level is something I felt would be very valuable but we do have plenty of that.

Saying that, there's every chance he will still be here if no tam puts in an acceptable offer and given his injury prone nature, I can't see too many teams going for him...league two teams will be very interested I imagine.

16. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Another central midfielder is vital then if we are to off-load Lee. Unless MA now see's a future for Payne playing higher in midfield. Gregory will always play the holding role and Frampton will probably only play there too. Robinson is long term injured. Mad Pup (Charlie Allen) is probably our only other recognised centre midfielder with Dack playing better as an Attacking Midfielder. Perhaps are going to see the emergence of Jake Hessenthaler next season?

17. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

No.I don't think we'll stick with what we've got. I think a mid fielder with skill and the odd goal in him will be signed. Maybe someone like Alan Gow from Exeter who we were reportably interested in at Christmas.

18. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

If Lee is going who will be taking the long throws could it be the missile from Muggleton.

19. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

I think you need more in a midfielder than long throws, and Whelps has got a good throw on him anyway.

20. jokeykid(606)

jokeykid(606) Member

So does legg! I think people have missed the few bombs/missiles he has chucked from defence this season!