1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LC: Arsenal Vs West Ham

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by afcftw, Dec 19, 2017.

1. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

If our resident spud does a match thread feel free to merge this thread into it! He does a better job than any of us lot!

This is the 14th league cup quarter final Wenger has got us to, with us progressing 6 times out of 13 to the semi final and twice on to the final.

I expect to see us play a rotated team. Walcott, Giroud, Wilshere will all play i imagine. Probably some youth and other fringe players too. Though I hope we keep some quality on the bench in case it is going wrong.

Wenger never takes this competition seriously (and neither do us fans tbh) but having never won it, and given the league looks out of reach already I want us to give it a proper go.

PINKIE likes this.
  2. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

3. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42318861

MATCH FACTS
    • This will be the third meeting between these sides in this competition, with West Ham winning a third-round tie in October 1966, and Arsenal winning at this stage at Upton Park in January 1998.
    • Both winners of League Cup ties between these clubs have ended up being losing semi-finalists in that competition.
    • West Ham were the first side to beat Arsenal in a competitive game at Emirates Stadium, back in April 2007. Since then however, they have lost seven of their nine visits to the ground (W1 D1), with an aggregate score of 19-4 to Arsenal.
    • The Gunners have lost their past four home League Cup games against fellow Premier League sides, losing 2-0 against Southampton at the last-eight stage last season.
    • The Hammers are looking to reach the semi-finals for the second time in the past five seasons, having only reached the last four in one of their previous 23 campaigns.
    • Despite reaching the final on two occasions, the League Cup is the one English domestic trophy Wenger has yet to win with Arsenal. This will be his 14th quarter-final tie in the competition, and he has progressed from six of the previous 13.
    • Eddie Nketiah netted twice in the last round to send Arsenal through - in doing so he became the first player born after Wenger became Arsenal manager to score for the club.
    • No player has had a hand in more Carabao Cup goals this season than West Ham's Andre Ayew (3 goals, 1 assist).

4. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I expect it'll be Arsenal, City, Utd and Chelsea in the semi finals. So whoever wins it this season it will have been a tough route to the trophy. If we manage to beat West Ham I'd rather avoid City until the final. My preference would be Chelsea in the semi final as Wenger has a decent record against Conte.

5. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

This cup has become rather tasty with all the big guns potentially meeting each other. I expect and Arsenal and City victory at least.

6. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

If puyel plays his first team, they could beat city's reserves imo.
    Dont think pep is too fussed about the league cup. Hes got bigger fish to fry.

I wouldn't expect wenger to play anyone who will start on friday. He cant affird to lose to pool or top4 will ve looking shakier than ever.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep gonna be a much changed line up tonight, with Liverpool in mind on Friday. Would expect West Ham to come out and try to win this one as it's a good chance for them to try and qualify for Europe.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

That midfield of Elneny, Willock and Coquelin worries me ...

afcftw likes this.
  9. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

No Wilshere, which I imagine means he plays on Friday.

Only youth on the bench so hopefully those on the pitch can get it dealt with. Not exactly the most creative midfield. Pressure on Willock to do the business and the forward players to take there chances. Walcott and Welbeck will need to make things happen for themselves I think.

Giroud to score 1-0 win.

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Nice tidy passing, but without offering any real danger yet.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

****ing Hell Walcott <doh>

12. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Scrappy goal, but they all count <ok>

13. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Half-time announcer makes the ground sound like a holiday camp, I'm waiting for him to start calling out the bingo numbers.

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I ****ing hate that stadium announcer when he says the first name of the players and gets the crowd to shout their surname. I know it's all part of the craic, but it's chessy as ****ity ****.

15. Big Ern

please log in to view this image

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Smashy or Nicey would be an improvement to be honest.

Big Ern likes this.
  17. Big Ern

Linesman injury giving at least 10 mins entertainment., a poor specatators game. I think Carroll may make an appearance soon, around 65th.

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yeah it's been a **** game.

19. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Would like to see Nketiah get on the pitch soon.

20. Big Ern

I was hoping haksabanovic would get a run out for us, I wanna see what he can do, some good things being said of his performances in the development side.