1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Laurent Koscielny: Is His Time Up?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Dec 23, 2017.

1. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

He definitely looks like a man struggling to play more than once a week. When we used him 3x in 7 days he looked broken. So, based on the fact I still think he's quality I think maybe a rest is in order. Saying that, I've always been of the opinion you need a regular back 4 (or whatever formation you use) in defence especially to aid continuity.

Basically, I dunno. My head says keep him, rest him and hope he overcomes his ailments and recaptures form. Meanwhile I think the are some quality cbs out there and if someone should offer us decent dollar then sell...

2. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I can't say I have noticed a dip in form. I find these attempts to single out players for criticism or praise really difficult.

I mean Xhaka and Holding have been criticised for some bad giveaways this season, but they have also received some lamentable passes, just setting them up for failure.

Koscielney may be dipping in form, or he may just have a lot of extra work covering for the new boys, not certain I would be able to tell those two scenarios apart.

3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Koscielny has always been a beast (except in the air).

Out of curiousity, who do you think is a weak link in the team and can be improved upon?

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Xhaka for me. If we had a decent holding mid, then i think the back three would get better protection and it would allow our creative attacking players to concentrate on getting forward

5. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Right now I think Iwobi is struggling a bit, but he is young and I expect him to have spells like that. Same with Holding and Chambers, they are going to make mistakes.

Lacazette is obviously having his problems, but that isn't unusual for first years in the league. Gotta keep playing him or he will never improve.

Mustafi went for a while getting wrong side of his man, gambling on an interception, but has seemed to improve that just recently.

Elneny, when he isn't playing defense, is too conservative when passing in the opposition half. Wilshere and Ramsey, they are a little too ambitious when playing in their own half.

Bellerin really needs to improve his crossing.

Ozil needs to pace himself better, he runs out of steam at about 75 minutes sometimes.

I think Cech is starting to show his age a bit. Still very good, but obviously in decline. But I still prefer him to Ospina, who is a good shot stopper, but he is a little slow off his line to close down.

Really everyone has a few flaws they can work on. But trying to put your finger on which ones are the worst, which are just making mental errors not related to ability, and when you have to also factor in their upside and who their replacement would be is, I think, tricky.

Overall though, if we can work on our cohesion as a team, and not swap out too many people, we will improve the most. I still see too many misunderstandings, mistimed passes and players not on the same wavelength, which will get worse if we have to keep chopping and changing.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  6. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Heh. What a question. Some people probably won't agree with me, but this is my opinion:

I still think we will need an additional striker, either now or in the Summer, because irrespective of what happens with Aubameyang (I've lost faith in us getting this deal done anyway), I can't see Giroud staying beyond this season. Welbeck's contract runs out in 2019, but would prefer if we don't renew it/try to flog him off.

Central midfield could and should be a lot stronger. Xhaka has shown glimpses of quality at times, but not consistently and I still don't think he is first-team quality. We need a stronger defensive midfielder. If we sold him in the Summer, it would be no significant loss to us.

With Cazorla's injury woes, and him unlikely to come back to top-level football in an Arsenal shirt, we definitely need to be looking for replacements.

Our wide options could also be better, certainly in squad depth. Iwobi has also shown some positive signs, but I don't think he's mature enough yet. I'd prefer to loan him out to a PL club so he can play regularly and we bring in someone with more experience.

Centre-half is an absolute must, too. Koscielny will be 33 next season and has Achilles problems, he will not be dependable to play in multiple games per week. We still need to keep him, but we need to manage him very carefully. Mertesacker is retiring. Chambers future is uncertain and Holding's progress has stunted.

Goalkeeper as well. Ospina is fine as a back-up choice, but I really do feel we can improve on a 36-year-old Cech. Need to find someone who is flexible, has quicker reactions and can command his area. Top goalkeepers are a rarity these days, but it's a position that we need to strengthen in.

So overall, if we are serious about wanting to compete on all fronts, we will need at least 6-7 new additions to the squad.

I obviously do not think this will happen all in one window and I doubt the club will take such drastic measures, but we have a lot of positions that we need reinforcements in to challenge the clubs above us, who will all inevitably strengthen come the Summer.

7. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

Iwobi is a fair way off the quality required to be a regular starter as yet. He certainly has potential and I think it would be wrong to sell him at this stage. Maybe a loan out with a club in the lower ranks so that he can work on his overall positioning and end product. A little more work on his defensive duties wouldn't hurt either.

No way is it his fault, but Maitland-Niles being played out of position is a real risk of ruining the lad's development. He is so mature and confident for someone so young, but Arsene is in danger of seriously damaging that confidence by continually playing him here, there and everywhere. I think his being so composed on the ball points to him becoming a great holding midfielder. Maybe he also needs a loan spell where he can be guaranteed regular play time in the middle of the park?

8. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I tend to agree.

But if Wenger truly does see AMN's future as a holding midfielder, I think he needs to beef up a tad. He's got a very light frame, so will need to put on a bit more mass.

His ball-retention skills, recovery speed and stamina is already very impressive for one so young. Needs to work on his positional sense and transitioning from defence to attack quicker.

He had a successful loan spell at Ipswich a couple of years back, and was a mainstay in their midfield. So he's clearly too good for Championship level.

A loan to a Premier League club would do him no harm at all.

9. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Koscielny is a small lightweight CB. He's great at recovery challenges, reads the game pretty well, has a good range of passing he just struggles in the air he lacks the upper body strength (and the height) to compete with some forwards.

In Koscielney's best Season - he was paired alongside Mertesacker. (2014-15) I still think that's the key - let him play the ball out and have his natural game alongside a taller more physical defender.

I would say at his age he has 2-3 good Seasons left in him depending on injuries.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018