1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Laudrup demands cash for players

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Rhodthesod, May 25, 2013.

1. Rhodthesod

Rhodthesod Well-Known Member

Article in SWEP about ML demanding cash to invest in players if he is to stay at Swansea!

Lazy journalism or a worry?

Sorry cannot post the link!

2. Yankee_Jack

Yankee_Jack Well-Known Member

I would much prefer to hear the words and context of ML's statement. Such a direct demand is not consistent with his usual approach to business.

3. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Demand is a strong word - more like he has been forthright with Jenkins about splashing the cash if we want to maintain our progress. In fairness, Jenkins has repeatedly broken our transfer record for players in recent times but I fear he really needs to think bigger and I'm not yet sure he can bring himself to do that. Not sure we can get bargain basement deals again a la Michu as other clubs are now alive to it.

4. ivoralljack

ivoralljack Well-Known Member

Michael Laudrup is an honest and intelligent man. He is aware of the financial constraints we work under and I suggest that this is a plea for the club to back him in the transfer market as far as they are able.

He is eagerly anticipating next season with all that is involved and, understandably, wants to be as competitive as possible. He will move on at some stage but I suspect he wants to take us to the next level before he does. Signing quality will be a huge factor but the man is not daft. He has often stated that we are a small club trying to survive in an environment funded by mega bucks and knows that we can never financially compete with the big clubs.

I think he's just asking for as much backing as possible to give him, and us, a chance of giving them a bloody nose as often as possible.

5. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

"Laudrup demands cash for players"....Will that work the same way as 'Cash for Clothes'? That paints a great picture in my mind. Any unwanted players are taken away in a van for a few quid :)

But seriously I would imagine ivor's assessment is on the mark here.

6. LydfordSA1

LydfordSA1 Member

Lazy journalism. The paper is always thin on a Saturday; so put a big splash headline to attract attention but provide no substance to the story. Not a single quote from anybody. Ignore!

7. Norway-jack

Norway-jack Well-Known Member

Ive mentioned about his press conferences in the past, unless you see him talking you don't get the full picture. The club AND Laudrup know they need to invest heavily, that was mentioned a week or so ago what makes me smell a rat with this one is the fact we keep our business under wraps but the post have listed all our apparent targets!! we don't work that way do we ?

The club have to make a case for not advertising the fact they have a few bob. So media stories about us only shopping in the championship are there to serve a purpose, are the board and Laudrup wily enough for a smoke screen, dam right they are! nothing really comes out of the club if they don't want it too so im quite relaxed about all of this,especially as Laudrup has been working on these signings since around January !!

8. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

This one: http://tinyurl.com/pmr5epa

9. swimaway

swimaway Well-Known Member

Apparently under the article is an advert for Wonga.com

10. Norway-jack

A load of Bollocks mun!

I said a couple of weeks back that Laudrup is as likely to be a bit wary of us as we are of him, eaning that this is the first time he has had a decent club with some money and a board of integrity..you cant blame the guy for wondering if his wishes are to be carried out, we know our board will back him like they do every manager, he has had bad experiences with this in the past.

Same with us fans,its very difficult to think he will stay even though he has said it a million times and has been proven to be a man of honour

The latest story from sky Laudrup says he wanted to stay here to progress the team,he wanted to stay for the players he brought in and he wanted to stay for the fans...there comes a time when we have to start taking people at face value again otherwise the constant negative feeling will have the desired negative effect.

Regarding the post story, its been spun in a totally negative way,just like in the souse days. Laudrup has said that he told the club we need to strengthen and they are in agreement and trying to work to get the targets in within our budget which Laudrup also mentioned and accepted.

A non story from the post designed to sell newspapers... people should really just stop buying it .

11. Norway-jack

Ok here are his actually words. All sounds totally normal to me <cheers>

"Laudrup told Sky Sports News: "I wanted to stay because the club said they were going to strengthen their team. Of course we need to do that, but I'm sure they will keep their word about that.

"And then I want to stay for the fans and also for some of the players - they came for me so I can't just leave them after one season. We started planning a couple of months ago, so there's a lot of work to do."

Why the post are spinning stuff like this ive no idea. Lets start to deal in the facts when it comes to Laudrup and the post :)

12. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Just typical of the EP, always negative!!

13. Kifflom!

Hilarious that the EP (I read the full version in a coffee shop and would never buy it) was asking readers to contribute if they'd heard anything about possible transfer targets. <doh>

14. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Laudrup is worried at the way we have fallen away and for him to do anything then he will need plenty of cash, we wont be lucky in finding a michu every time and good players costs money.....He is not stupid as its his reputation on the line and he is not happy with the way we finished the season.....jinks had better offer him what he wants or he will walk, that i have no doubt....

15. Kifflom!

Well, if promises have been made by the Board as ML suggests then they shouldn't renege on them.

16. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I don't think they will to be honest as they know laudrup is not the sort of manager that will be messed about...

17. swans-cartoonhead

swans-cartoonhead Well-Known Member

I agree Dai - Laudrup has always cited the mutual respect between him and the board, and, with the teams below us this season all intending to spend big for the next it would be suicidal not to trust ML to work his magic in the transfer market. I feel that this summer will be a defining moment that will impact hugely on whether we will be serious premier and europa league contenders.

We can't spend silly money, but a serious investment in the future is vital.

18. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Keep the faith ,there are still honest people in the world and I class Mr Laudrup as being one of them.The Board know what they need to deliver and they've not steered us wrong yet .

19. mikraswan

mikraswan Well-Known Member

Laudrup has on only one occasion led his debate through the media: when Erik Larsen was sacked in Mallorca as a part of forcing ML out of the club. He was promptly sacked afterwards himself.