1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Laudrup careful over Michu comeback

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by daimungeezer, Nov 21, 2013.

1. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

BBC Sport link - "Michael Laudrup says forward Michu is unlikely to return until Swansea City's game against Newcastle United on 4 December."

This is a fascinating one for me... we looked fabulous second half of the Stoke game with a renewed vigour and zest. So I'm looking forward to the Fulham game to see how we approach it. Will we come out of the blocks all guns blazing or start cautiously? Assuming we can carry on in the same vein then we'll see Bony blossom even more into the striker we're all hoping, maybe expecting, he'll become.

So, it's a given Michu will come back into the team but what will the balance be? How can he and Bony play together? We can't go back to playing how we were, it was too unbalanced. I'd like to see him play behind but without the pressure of being the focus of attack. He can be playmaker and take the attention of defenders whilst making room for others and creating spaces, so Bony gets better service.

How do you see the balance of the team with them both playing?

2. Jokeren1943

Jokeren1943 Member

Actually the combination of Michu and Bony has<nt worked that well in the last matchs.

Think it is refreshing to see Pozuelo as attacking central midfielder (instead of Michu).

3. ivoralljack

ivoralljack Well-Known Member

Michu and, potentially, Bony are our two best players. Ok, they haven't gelled yet but they will. They're too good not to. Just because the partnership hasn't clicked yet doesn't mean to say it won't.

All it takes is time and some slight tinkering with tactics and formation. Bony is a striker and a good one getting better. Michu is an outstanding goal scoring midfielder. They don't necessarily have to link as would a dedicated strike partnership. Give Bony the service he needs to score and let Michu free to do his own thing. He's an intelligent player who will work it out.

Let's just be grateful that we've got two outstanding players who will get it right.

4. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Amen to that Ivor.

5. Terror ball

Terror ball Well-Known Member

I wonder how many minutes they've actually played together Ivor?
    I would bet it adds up to 2 or 3 games (broken up in bits and pieces).

Like you say, the only way is up for these 2...and us!

6. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Ill be surprised if michu and bony dont gell soon, Bony looks fitter than he was a few months back and with michu playing behind bony looks great, I would give michu a free reign so he will draw the defenders away from bony...It will happen im sure about it...

7. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

As we have discussed before the key to Bony is the delivery which he hasn't been receiving. He undoubtedly caused central defender problems with his strength.

So this coupled with Michu being allowed the freedom to create space is a dangerous cocktail for our opponents. So hold the faith lads.

8. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I fully expect Bony and Michu to storm the second half of this season, just watch this space, in the mean time Bony will get much needed focus, and I hope the service is plentiful, at Craven Cottage!..............<cheers>

9. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Well I tend to agree Phil.

Ivor is right. These are two intelligent players who need to adapt a little, that's all. But I think the problem hasn't necessarily been those two even though I began to think we had a Gerrard/ Lampard situation here.

There has been a tendency by advancing players to look for Michu when the better pass is to Bony. I understand why but it's those players that have to be more canny. Once that particular penny drops we won't have to worry about Bony and Michu working together.

10. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Agree with you all. Take some pressure of Michu, give him the freedom to be creative but service Bony appropriately. When things click it's going to be explosive.

11. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Bony has to play a part in the service to him as well. Its not all about players trying to give him service its a two way thing..

12. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with this. I think the value in this partnership might not be the traditional way that forwards compliment each other, in terms of interplay between the two, but in the fact with Bony's pace threatening to get in behind, and Michu loving to come in from deeper positions to break into the box, you have a natural set up for goal-scoring opportunities.

At the very least you have two exceptional forward players who can be rotated to fit the purpose.

13. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

Who will be dropped to accommodate Michus' return? Will it be a 4-4-1-1 with Michu sitting behind Bony? Is Michu seen as a creative midfielder or a striker when Bony is on the pitch? Will Shelvey be able to show his abilities with Michu in the more advanced role? Interesting times for you guys, I hope ML proves some of you wrong but not so bad for you so far this season, good luck.