1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Latics v Addicks

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Sep 2, 2017.

?

Latics V Addicks

Poll closed Sep 2, 2017.
  1. Addicks win

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Addicks lose

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Addicks draw

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Most oop north usually are.

2. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Most oop north usually are.

3. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

You 'd feel the same if you had to live in Oldham.

4. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Nice to see the Welshman has followed my lead and not bothered going to the game today, even though it is on his own doorstep.

5. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Guardedly happy about yesterday. Sounds like huge value for money, though the Oldham fans might disagree. It also sounded like a bad day at the office for the defence, but that does happen so no need to get overexcited just yet, and goals all over the park may yet be an antidote to a lack of strikers.
    Having criticised KR's transfer blatherings, he seems to have seen the same game as the fans yesterday. And he can genuinely point at the squad and say it has improved all over under his guidance. He also apparently had a pop at the Oldham fans yesterday..... Not really in the Good Managers Guide but I guess he enjoys being booed by oppo fans. I'm more worried about us, and this morning we seem to be pretty much okay. Onwards and upwards.

6. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

At full time, Robinson turned to the Oldham fans and made pregnant gestures, pointing at his belly.

Yesterday proved to me that KAG certainly isn't suited to playing a loan No.9 role in this formation. Oldham caused us all sort of defensive problems because they had a brick sh1thouse No.9 called Davies, who bullied our back line throughout the match. To play this formation effectively you really need a striker who can hold the ball up with his back to goal, which KAG is too small to do. Dodoo may be pacy but he is physically much bigger than KAG - for those who haven't seen him, he looks a lot like Danny Welbeck.

Yesterday we won a battle of two bad defences, with Solly particularly poor for us.

7. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

It may be time to see if we can do a Dion Dublin and convert either Sarr or Konsa into an emergency CF? Next International games are first week of October and we need something in place by then.

8. deleted.....

@Royston were the flurry of 90th minute yellow cards for JFC, Joe Do & Ohh Ricky Holmes deserved or was the incompetent B#####D in black just trying to even up his Managers' ratings??

9. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Wasnt DD a striker converted in to an emergency CB?

Seemed to be a popular tactic in the 90's - sure Chris Sutton also found himself at CB several times during the twilight years.

10. User deleted as requested

The latter. Very poor ref yesterday, although he got both of the big decisions right. It was a clear handball for their penalty , I was 10 yards from it. And the Oldham lad went in studs-up on Solly.

11. deleted.....

Dion started his career at Narwich as a CB then went to Cambridge and played as a CF to help them out.... did well... rest is history.

12. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

That's a pity, especially since by all accounts he was terrific last week, a MOM performance according to some. It would appear that his knees may not be up to even one game a week:emoticon-0106-cryin.

13. deleted.....

14. User deleted as requested

On the playing side at last, there are now grounds for optimism at Charlton. We are playing attractive and pacy pass & move football, light years away from the filth Slade served up. Credit to Robinson & Bowyer for that. Kashi is an absolute monster at this level, and has the ability to dictate most games from midfield, Holmes is another gem who would walk into most Championship sides. He is guaranteed to create chances for you. Fosu and Billy Clarke in particular look like very decent creative players. I eventually think that Reeves will replace Forster-Caskey alongside Kashi. JF-C doesn't impose himself enough on games at this level, yesterday being another example.

The owner's parsimony makes you puke - imagine what a Bradley Wright-Phillips or a Darren Bent could do alongside our creative players.

15. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

Well said Royston.

Most members will probably guess this anyway of me but I'll take this opportunity to say it anyway;

Any positivity, congratulations or praise from my keyboard this season is not intended for anybody involved in the senior management at the Club (the suits).
    Our manager, coaching staff and players will get all the support I feel I can give them and all the credit I feel they deserve for jobs well done. We have made a very good start to this season, and I hope they rightly feel proud of what they have achieved so far.

However, as far as I'm concerned their ongoing success does not cross over to or reflect upon the Club's owner or his corporate lieutenants in any way.
    Duchatelet does not care about what is best for CAFC; never has done, never will. His CEO has never stood up for the Club, has no respect for its fans, has no problem with being duplicitous, and cannot be trusted.
    Between them they have done far more harm than one promotion season will undo.
    Until all that harm is undone they are nothing to me.

For the sake of our future I'm willing to ignore the pro-regime stuff that Karl Robinson occasionally comes out with (or is compelled to say). I want to back him, and JJ and Bowyer and our squad to promotion glory on the pitch. Getting back into the second tier is our best chance of hastening the day when RD strikes an equitable deal with a new owner and leaves the Club forever. To me that will be a day celebrated as much as the day we secure our return to the Championship.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  16. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

Paul Warhurst. Primarily a defender, he was utilised as a makeshift striker for Sheffield Wednesday after injuries to Mark Bright and David Hirst. He went on to score 12 in 12 matches and even received an England call-up as a striker.

He was pretty much ****e after that.

17. User deleted as requested

Robert Lee. Primarily a turnstile operator at the Valley, he was converted into a very useful No.7 for Charlton & then Newcastle.

Ponders Revisited likes this.
  18. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Alan Curbishley. Initially a 16-year-old badge salesman at the Who concert, converted into a useful player, then manager.

19. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I really rated Warhurst when I was a kid. Was talking about him a month or too back with a B'burn fan about his goal against United.

I'm sure he'd love to know he's still thought of.

20. User deleted as requested

Paul May. Originally a drunken Cardiff fan from North Wales, who couldn't have found Charlton even with a map. Now......err