1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Late Russian grand prix thread

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by El_Bando, Sep 28, 2018.

?

Who will the best fans see win this time?

Poll closed Sep 29, 2018.
  1. Hamilton

70.0%
  2. VETTEL

10.0%
  3. Bottas

20.0%
  4. Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Verstappen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Any one else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I agree that as F1 has signed a deal to open up gambling markets that this could be kind of like match fixing.

2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

The move yesterday gives Merc a clear two races. They now have the luxury of two absolute disastrous weekends and still being in the fight. They’d be nuts not to give themselves that kind of breathing room and I’m pretty sure any other team would have done the same in that position. It makes absolute sense for teams to utilize team orders when competition is fairly close.

As for gambling. You’d just have to accept that team orders are part and parcel of the sport when placing a bet. It’s not fixing, as it’s a legal, legitimate tactic.

3. St. Slicks of Stoneham

St. Slicks of Stoneham Active Member

If the swap had not been made there was a good chance that Lewis could have wrecked his tyres so that was the right tactical decision. I really thought that Toto would swap them back on the last lap but on reflection it was the right time for the nail to be driven home. If Bottas doesn't win on merit before the end of the year I'd guess Lewis will return the favour once no.5 is assured. Not that it would make anyone feel better.

4. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

In my opinion as long as F1 is a team sport you will have team orders.

There will always be times when a team will feel their interests are served by a particular result, and they will achieve that one way or another.

The only way you would ever get rid of team orders is by limiting to one car per team, and that of course would not be F1.

5. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Interesting observations but I don't think they resolve the situation but accept it. The betting is a problem, I am not an expert on the laws surrounding this but it would be interesting.
    In the end it comes down to the fans, is this what they want? I think the telemetry could be analysed. A couple catches and the teams would figure it is not worth the risk.

Honestly, I am not a young 'un and have seen the years of many drivers so I know it has gone on for some while, the Schumacher era probably being the worse. I rest my case, up to Liberty really but I know where my vote would be cast..

6. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

If team orders are made illegal again, they'll just find other ways around it. It's better for the sport when team orders are transparent rather than wrapped in coded messages or a threaded wheel nut. Yeah, it's not particularly great for the sport when it happens, and even worse when it's taking place a couple of races in, but you can't really stop a team making sure they maximize points to take both titles, and if a driver accept the terms of a number 2, then they can't really complain when the message comes in.

easynic150 likes this.
  7. happyal

happyal Active Member

Didn't watch the race as this season is over, Mercedes has been the best car this season so they deserve the championship.

As for team orders. I've got no problem with team orders, it's a team sport and the drivers work for the team. What I don't like is 1 driver constantly making noises about team orders, about how it's not the way he would ever win, etc. and then ask for his team mate to move over for him (that's at least twice this season, isn't it).

8. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Multi 21
    Team orders are only a farce when they're done badly.
    "Hamiltons the one in the championship fight, let him past please." No need to dress it up, it's a understandable request (as much as I feel it was unneeded given Vettels current pace in the championship)

9. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Did Hamilton ask for it? Any evidence for that?

10. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

You really didn't watch the race, or yo would have gotten the last part of your submission correct ...Hamilton didn't ask to be let by or anything of that nature... actually he was just as surprised as Bottas. When they told Hamilton that they had asked Bottas to move over, Hamilton asked them why not ask Bottas to speed up because he wanted to put space between him and Vettel. From him reaction you could tell he wasn't very happy about the move.

easynic150 and eddie_squidd like this.