1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kubica Expects Return?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Jan 23, 2013.

1. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with that, ASC. The new cars are definitely more difficult to drive.

Of course, the other factor is that the older cars – although technologically well-advanced from Kubiça's previous era – are at least a little closer to it, providing a simple logic for why his performances were relatively better in them.

Having said all this, if at ANY point, he actually takes to the grid, I'll be happy to eat my words in the immediate aftermath of his rallying accident where I suggested he'd never be back on an F1 grid.

2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

It's never likely to happen unless he has to cover a race. Lets face it, despite the injury he's well past his best with so long out of F1.

3. cosicave

Yes, I agree, Bhaji.

Yet since his horrific accident he has never been in better shape, nor more capable of driving an F1 car. But you're right, the time needed to get 'back' to this point has inevitably etched its mark.

4. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

It's sad because his talent was indisputable, but his opportunity has long since passed. Without the injury and with the right drive, there was potential championships there.

5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

it took until FP3 for Lance and Sergei to better his time, Grosjean is making Maldonado look a safe pair of hands at the moment.
    If it continues will Haas make the call

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  6. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Williams are stuffed . They have a dog of a car , no experienced driver to feed back info , and lots of bills to pay .

Stick or twist ?

Twist imho , but who to drop ?

7. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They have problems in so many areas of the car where do they start. It's just plain awful :(

8. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was listening to Craig Scarborough on the "3 legs 4 wheels podcast", who said he was reliably informed that when you correct for fuel load, tyres, etc, Kubica was definitely quicker than the race drivers in FP1.

ched999uk likes this.
  9. Big Ern

Stroll's seat is safe, his dad is bankrolling Williams, Sirotkin has paid a pretty big wad to race too, I doubt Williams can afford to give either the boot and, tbh, I don't think a better driver would really make that much of a difference considering the car Williams have provided. For all the stick we give McLaren they aren't coming last with a Merc engine.

10. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

The worst problem sounds like the random aero stalling of the floor. 60% of their downforce disappearing without warning. It must be terrifying to drive.

ched999uk likes this.

11. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I think that the question is 'if they had a good experienced driver' could they help to resolve the issue sooner? I am not saying Kubica is the perfect person for developing as his experience may be outdated.
    Maybe Massa was more to the team than just a driver?

UPDATE:
    Sorry for the 'just a driver' term. The drivers do a lot more than just drive. Sorry if I offended any one.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    DHCanary likes this.
  12. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

It shows Kubica is super serious about driving in F1 to criticize a car that he has been giving the opportunity to drive. feel bad for the regular drivers too because they are not looking very good in that car when they need to prove what they are.

ched999uk likes this.
  13. cosicave

I know what you mean, Ched, and I agree with what you're saying.

Please forgive me for a moment though. I feel duty bound to be pedantic over the unfortunate phrase, "just a driver".
    Providing accurate feedback (and more, whenever possible) has always been part of every driver's remit, regardless of experience. This involves an ongoing interaction with one's race-engineer, and yes, a mutual trust/respect tends to improve over time. In turn, this 'sub-team' interaction forms a vital part of the basis of engineering goals and solutions for the team as a whole.

Back to my agreement with your comment: some drivers are certainly more adept at working positively in the above regard and clearly, experience is very much a factor. For example; to my knowledge, Massa's feedback (particularly with Rob Smedley) continued to improve throughout his F1 career. In finishing with Massa, Williams took a gamble which seemed both forward-looking and perhaps overdue – but in hindsight begins to look questionable. In my view, Williams' current race drivers with their respective race engineers are not at the same level as Massa/Smedley.

Williams' decision seems to have been to prostitute itself for what I see as a short-term 'investment plan' – for quick cash. I believe this mentality is fundamentally flawed in all walks of life. It is the very embodiment of 'quantity rather than Quality' (deliberate capital).

I'd better stop. I'm in danger of making a political statements…
    ;)

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.
  14. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Sorry bad turn of phrase 'just a driver'. They all do a lot more than drive. I wasn't trying to insult drivers in any way.
    All drivers in F1 have come through lower formulas and so are quite experienced but F1 experience is most useful to develop F1 car.

cosicave likes this.
  15. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Grosjean is having an awful time of it at the moment. Wonder if Haas may take a look at Kubica?

16. Big Ern

yeah, that was the swing of my post, there was a time Grosjean looked like he could've done something in F1, but now I wonder if there weren't a few more wins in that Lotus, Kubica's time passed with his accident, but I'd say he'd still give most of the mid-pack a run for their money and be a safer pair of...erm.

17. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

....What if Stroll goes to HAAS?

18. Big Ern

That is the other risk for Williams now, the finance that Stroll brings will be attractive to most of the teams, if Williams don't improve I can see him being poached, his money could buy 1/2 a second.

19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Good Point !

20. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I think with the cost cap proposed for 2021, other teams could be wary about jumping into a Stroll-shaped bed right away.

The midfield battle is so competitive, Lance being 0.5 seconds slower each lap could translate into the difference in the team finishing 5th or 9th in the constructor's. Regulation stability for 2019 and 2020 should hopefully maintain this competitiveness. If Haas, Sauber, etc think they have the money to get through to 2021 - and then compete under a ~£150m cap, then I don't see why they'd go begging for Daddy Stroll's Dollars

The only exception to that is Force India, who are definitely in need of cash and pretty quickly at that. Should the driver merry-go-round snatch Ocon (or Perez) from them, I could see them speaking to the Stroll's.