1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kodi discussion

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by swan_and_only, Aug 3, 2016.

1. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

The only problem with Linux (if it`s a problem) is choice, there`s too much choice for some.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  2. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Yes that can be true. Most seem to start with Ubuntu (or Mint) from what I can tell and can experiment from there if they wish.

3. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

daimungeezer likes this.
  4. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Anyone had issues in finding a good AV for Linux? Most I have tried are old or no longer supported or buggy and not fully functional, using Dr Web at the minute, first AV that installs and is fully functional.

Sophos: Terminal only and couldn't find kernel (Beaver) support at end of installation

Comodo: old and poor support, buggy install and not supported on new Kernels, got it part working.

Clam/ClamTK ok after reinstall, basic with limited function

F-PROT: Problamatic, refused to update AV database

Avast no Linux support that I could find regardless of being listed as a viable AV for Linux on numerous reviews.

ESET NOD32: refused to update AV database, interface looked dated and unsupported.

Most of the above have very poor installation packages, and only ClamTK and Dr Web worked as you would expect. I know some think that Linux doesn't require an AV, but that is flawed.

5. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

I hope you don`t mind me disagreeing with you Phil. An AV is unnecessary unless you run on a server, or you perhaps double boot with Windows. To have a virus infect a Linux box you have to run as SUDO/Superuser, which if you do is a little bit unwise, shall we say. Keep your software updated, Java & Flash are top targets for vulnerabilities, security patches are vital.

AV is not necessary for desktop Linux .. a server that serves files to Windows PC's may be a different matter, but then you're only running it to protect them. I tried Clam about ten years ago, didn`t get on with it at all. I soon got rid of it and haven`t bothered with AV since then. Mind, I don`t have Windows installed either, just good old Linux.

That`s my take on it anyway. There are two types of computer user, those who back up and those who lose stuff!

A little old and long but stands the test of time & explains it better than me: http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/

DragonPhilljack and daimungeezer like this.
  6. daimungeezer

As Swanee says Phil - no no no no no! ;) Unless you're scanning Windows partitions.

Lots of technically competent people say they're unnecessary even on Windows. It's all about being sensible and moderately cautious. Way back when I had a Windows partition I eventually got sick of helping friends and family sort out their Windows computers/laptops as they'd be back in exactly the same mess within a few months of me wasting hours cleaning them up, if not sooner.

swanee and DragonPhilljack like this.
  7. daimungeezer

Thanks for posting <ok> Glad to know PIA is a good option.

I'm sticking with NordVPN for now as I have another year left and they've also offered me an insanely low price renewal, to be added on. The client I wrote is working well and I've got some additions for it planned (I love writing BASH scripts!)

<laugh> This can't be emphasised enough! Even if it's just your pictures on a USB stick - do it now. I backup within my desktop and upstairs to the server. I used to backup to the cloud as well but it's so slow. I may have to revisit that option though.

swanee likes this.
  8. DragonPhilljack

Thanks for that input Swanee, will give it some thought, I have never found a virus on Linux over the years, by the way I use Disks to do an image backup, found it very reliable with no issues with restore..................<ok>

daimungeezer and swanee like this.
  9. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

I used to use Remastersys until the guy stopped doing it, he had a lot of abuse from people. Why people would do that is beyond me. I now use FSArchiver which I find very good, it restores my system pretty damn quick. I occasionally use RKHunter (not very often) just to check in case of any nasties, none so far!

10. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

What the **** are you lot on about

11. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

They lost me 6 pages ago. :)

12. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I hope someone is going to post a Linux for a Dummies thread <cheers>

13. DragonPhilljack

I tell what does a good partition image of Ext4 from Windows, if you dual boot Linux with Windows is Macrium Reflect 7, have tested it and found it fast and reliable, it's only issue is if your booting linux from a Flash drive, it doesn't support backing up from removable Flash drives, hence why I use Linux Disks for one machine I have Ubuntu on. The reliability of Disks is brilliant, though it's one flaw is that the Backup will always end up the size of the Partition, regardless of how much space is empty!.........................<ok>

14. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Phil I think you need to get down the King Arthur more <cheers>

daimungeezer and DragonPhilljack like this.
  15. DragonPhilljack

This is very profound and true!!...........................<laugh>

16. DragonPhilljack

Took your advise last night, and had a few jars of the cornish guest ale!!!!..........<cheers>

Terrarium TV is back on the scene and running well.

Link: https://terrariumtvappdownloads.com/terrarium-tv-apk/

17. DragonPhilljack

swanee likes this.
  18. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

SSD`s are being shipped much more frequently now with new systems. When this one of mine packs up SSD`s might be the only ones available. My SATA drive is formatted to EXT4 and works OK for my needs, so no need to upgrade it, for now.
    I did read that their lives can be shortened by continual deleting and installing over time and moving things around. How true that is I don`t know? But they are super fast at loading and using in general.

19. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

I read Treasure Island.
    It's good and I think true.

20. daimungeezer

Just stick with ext4, best all rounder, mature and stable. Unless you have some specific edge case? I doubt you'll notice any speed difference, even on a slow USB stick. Of course it's fun to tinker if you're that way inclined :grin:

I would never consider a HDD for a system disk unless it's currently what you have and can't afford to waste money on an SSD. SSDs are cheap as hell these days though and it's the best upgrade you can make and should be the first. The speed difference is incredible. I've been using an SSD for my boot drive for years. I currently have / (including /home) on an M2 with a WD black HDD 2 drive array for data. When they eventually fail I'll be replacing with SSDs (I'm not one to waste money until then!)

I swapped out the HD in the Mrs laptop for an SSD and even the boot drive in my server is an SSD. SSDs are even becoming affordable as data drives. HDD's days are numbered.

Flash memory has come a long way from wearing with writes. Even my 11 year old EeePC notebook has a flash drive that is still going strong and it's on for many hours every day as my Daughter's media player! And that was one of the first flash drives. You'll never wear out a modern SSD with normal (or even heavy) use. The hardware might fail but not from write wear.

If you are worried about wearing out a USB stick (and some of these are not great quality) then you can always mount it with 'noatime'. This prevents writing to a file every time it is read, those writes are disabled. Write and last access times are still recorded. I mount all my drives with 'noatime' anyway. It's also faster (obviously). For example, a snippet from my fstab -

Code:
    # =================
    # NVME/SSD/SATA/IDE
    # =================
    #
    # nvme0n1p2 - ROOT (+/home)
    # =========   -------------
    UUID=8098c654-d219-4395-983b-ad655ecb8d1a   /  ext4  defaults,noatime  0  1

DragonPhilljack likes this.