1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kodi discussion

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by swan_and_only, Aug 3, 2016.

1. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

As it's the season of the Resurrection threads, lets rock on!!!!................................<party>

So what's you daily runner OS? Mines the new Ubuntu 18.04, with an extra desktop (Pantheon) picked up a new Acer Swift 3, and Dual booted Windows with Ubuntu, using a Samsung 256GB USB Fit drive for the Linux drive, and it's rocking!................:emoticon-0165-muscl

daimungeezer likes this.
  2. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Haven't used Windows for 13 years! Stopped dual booting shortly after. Kept XP in a VM but it's a little out of date now <laugh>

I use Arch Linux on all our machines (Desktop & laptop, Wife's laptop, Daughter's laptop and the backup and media server where I also record my security cams). I started with Ubuntu but switched after a few years as I was sick of updating the OS and all the stale software. Recently put an SSD in the Wife's laptop and it now flies.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  3. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

4. daimungeezer

So whenever you buy any of these "TV sticks", do they all use Kodi or do some have custom software?

I tried Kodi for a while but I found it too much hassle playing whack-a-mole with the addons stopping working then having to install a new one. There's a version for my Steam link but they never got video hardware acceleration working with Kodi so it's a bit underpowered as is.

5. DragonPhilljack

Did you actually do a full command line install of Arch, or did you use Arcolinux or Manjaro? I ask because it's not for the faint hearted to use command line when setting up hardware. I don't have the time to spend on such a lengthy command line install, so would probable go with an Arch GUI install such as Manjaro, I have enough on my plate maintaining a network of about 20 machines, 4 of which have Linux on them, 3 machines have OSX mojave.

Manjaro=Arch Without All the Hassle...............................<ok>

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  6. DragonPhilljack

7. daimungeezer

Yes, full command line every time! I must admit I don't have as much patience as I get older but on the other hand I'm enough of a control freak where that's concerned to want to know exactly what gets installed. I run a tight ship security and privacy wise.

I've actually got the same install of Arch from 2009! It's made it across 3 motherboards (AMD and Intel) and numerous HDs and SSDs, just a simple rsync copy every time. Currently running from an M2 SSD alongside a RAID1 array of WD Blacks. When I put the SSD in my wife's laptop it was a simple 20 minute job of copying the old drive with rsync, changing just 2 system files (fstab and bootloader), plugging it in and booting straight into her old system like nothing had happened. I love that about Linux.

I would say if you're happy with Ubuntu (or any distro) then stick with what works for you. Saying that, if you're interested enough then Arch is a fantastic way to learn Linux from the ground up and know exactly what you're doing and what you're putting on your system. You can end up with whatever desktop you want (or don't) as well but you'll have a greater appreciation.

In what capacity are you maintaining this then?

8. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

9. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Has Dai outsourced his staff IT support to you then Phil. :emoticon-0100-smile

daimungeezer and DragonPhilljack like this.
  10. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

Agree Daimun, after distro hopping for the best part of 15 years I settled on Mint. Recently though the updates are getting a bit beyond. Now I`m using Peppermint which doesn`t use so many resources as Mint and works just as well. Tried Arch but couldn`t get on with it, the same with Manjaro, MXLinux, Elementary and a few others, the choice is many and varied not being stuck with just one option.
    My VPN is: https://tinyurl.com/3lt9ynx, it works extremely well for me, no problems at all. Although I don`t use Kodi I would imagine it would work just as well as any other.

11. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I tried Kodi on my mac and I saw no benefit to it. I can find links to anything it offered quicker than Kodi could.
    If I want movies - I just use TPB - usually takes about about 2 or 3 mins to download a movie.
    I recently got a Firestick - only so I can use Netflix and Prime. It works fine for that - no need for anything else really.

12. DragonPhilljack

Home and Business Network.

13. DragonPhilljack

I've got the latest Manjaro-gnome x64 iso but haven't tested it yet, but all the tech reviews look good, will be comparing it with Ubuntu 18.04........................<ok>

daimungeezer likes this.
  14. DragonPhilljack

15. daimungeezer

Indeed. Multi booting is pretty easy as well. Try before you buy!

One thing I have to say... loads of people "rubbish" Arch for being too hard and constantly breaking but I can honestly say that in 10 years I've had very, very few problems and all were easily remedied with a quick look on the forums. I'm no expert and I can't be that lucky.

I think a VPN is pretty much essential these days and they're cheap enough anyway. I see PIA has a Linux client, is it any good?

I went with NordVPN initially and it's worked well enough that I've stuck with it, especially as the price is peanuts. They don't have a Linux client though, so I wrote my own. I may switch to one that supports Linux better though, just to show support.

You mean you run a BOTNET <laugh>

That's quite interesting, I may take a look sometime. I applaud all privacy focussed initiatives.

16. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I havent got a ****ing clue what you are all on about.

17. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

18. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

I’m glad someone else is the same!! :)

19. DragonPhilljack

<laugh>

20. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

Hi Daimun. PIA is a simple breeze to install just follow the instructions, easy peasy: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/installer/x/download_installer_linux

I`ve been using it for about 3 years and never had a problem with it. They seem to have updated the installer since I first did it! But only cosmetically.

I used to have two distros installed side by side and another partition for trying out different ones. Now I only use two side by side.