1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Knick knack Paddy back

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Paddy McNair is back in training and could return to the squad against Fulham, though Chris Coleman is conscious of carefully managing the midfielder.

The 22-year-old, who was out for 10 months after rupturing his cruciate ligament, returned at the end of October and made five appearances before a groin injury.

McNair pulled up in the warm-up before Reading and wasn't involved against Wolves last weekend.

Sunderland are without Lee Cattermole this weekend after his red card at Molineux but Coleman's midfield options are set for a boost.

Coleman has confirmed Northern Ireland international McNair is back training while Didier Ndong isn't far away, though Coleman admits he may need a run-out in the Under-23s to build his fitness.

"Paddy trained today," said Coleman. "He looked good, he has had a bit of time out.

"You have to manage it carefully. We tread a fine line.

"Paddy was out a long time [with his knee injury], Paddy has a programme, his training schedule is slightly different. We are always looking after him and his knee.

"It is a fine balancing act. We also know we need our strongest team on the pitch. Whether that is Paddy having an hour or coming off the bench.

"Same for Didier Ndong, who needs minutes, probably in the Under-23s because he has been out for four or five weeks. It is a long time.

"But then we might need to use Didier because there is no one else! That is where we are.

"Whoever comes back into this team, or this squad, the bar has been set by the players fit in terms of attitude and mentality."

Coleman also had praise for Darron Gibson's performance at Molineux, his best yet in a Sunderland shirt.

Coleman added: "The players need to be street smart on the pitch and I thought all our players did that Saturday.

"It is not just about running around. You have to be smart, think smart, see what is happening and make good decisions consistently and Darron Gibson has been doing that.

"We know he is a very good passer. We need a certain job from our midfielders, whether it is Gibbo, Catts, Paddy or Didier. It may change game to game and they need to exercise the gameplan.

"Him and Catts did that, obviously we lost Catts and Gibbo was in there with young George [Honeyman] and Lynden [Gooch] and we controlled them really well.

"Gibbo did well and I had no worries putting Elliot Embleton on [for his debut].

"Gibbo spoke to him, told him where to be. Elliot has that assured confidence, you need a bit of arrogance, not too much.

"He was calm and composed, looked like he had been there before and I was really pleased for him."

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Shame he's injury prone,
    Can he help us win at home?

Nacho and Makemstine Roger like this.
  3. Teessidemackem

Hes still young so hopefully he'll overcome his problems.
    Picking up little knocks and pulls is the frustrating part after a long term layoff.

Brian Storm likes this.
  4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think we should be really careful about bringing him back. I reckon whatever the doctors say is the earliest wait a week after that.

5. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen him have a good game yet ? If so when ?

polyphemus likes this.
  6. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

QPR away in the league cup - goal scoring sensation :emoticon-0178-rock:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  7. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

He had a couple before his injury I think, got a goal or two as well. I'm more keen on him because I'm certain he's an upgrade on the likes of Catts and Gibson than because he looks anything amazing, but he looks competent and like I say has a few goals which is more than the rest can muster.

8. The Little General

2 at QPR in league cup, done nowt for me, slow and can't beat a man……just my opinion tho, hope Im wrong,
    I wasn't about Cattermole tho. No pace, the games changed.

9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Aye well jury's out and I can't honestly say I've seen him play a blinder although he does look quite handy in attack and looks solid enough in defence so potentially a decent all rounder. Adds a bit of height to the midfield.

10. Brian Storm

Why on god's green earth would we need him to beat a man? He's a he's DM who arrives in attacking positions late(and is dangerous with it). Who cares if he doesn't beat a man, we don't need him to and I wouldn't want him to even try it as being dispossessed in those areas is suicide. <confused>

clockstander and marcusblackcat like this.

11. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I couldn't work that comment out either. He looks, from his fleeting appearances this season, built for this league IMO. Dm who gets forward well and keeps the ball

Brian Storm likes this.
  12. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I’ve seen enough to think that if he could stay fit he’d be a huge asset for us at this level.

I also think that he could still be a ball playing centre back aswell.

13. Teessidemackem

Never mind McNair. Surely this is thread title of the year winner :emoticon-0140-rofl:.

14. Brian Storm

No cause you failed to spot me carrying on the rhyme. <laugh>

Nacho and Teessidemackem like this.
  15. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I'm still on the fence with him, tbh. He's never stood out for me yet, but he needs to stay fit and be in the side for at least half a season so we can judge him properly.

16. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I've just had to read back. I would never have got that!

Well done, though <applause>

Nacho, Teessidemackem and Brian Storm like this.
  17. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

So you did <applause>

18. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

<laugh> reading it back I can't believe I missed that!!! Quality

Brian Storm and Deleted like this.
  19. The Little General

Yann could go pst people, Kirchoff could, both brought the ball out from deep. If you like lads who hoof it in that position its your choice. I don't mean he has to be going on 20 yard dribbles, just capable of going past someone from time to time , ;play a bit of football.

clockstander likes this.
  20. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

So let’s see. You’re comparing Paddy McNair with the best central midfield partnership I’ve seen at SAFC in my 32 years watching the club? Nice yardstick