1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Kiwi knock it off FFS

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Swords Hoopster., Jul 17, 2015.

1. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Ever been in one in Central London? You often wouldn't know it's a Spoons without looking at the menu.

2. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

Fair play, not been any in central London!

3. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

I would hope they'll show the Footie. The thing about this one is that the building is over 200 years old and used to be a school so there's a bit of history there. The last owners had the decor very much in keeping with the school theme and it was a classy joint. I shudder to think what Weatherspoons have done to the joint inside.

Then again, they might surprise us all :smile:

UTRs likes this.
  4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

There are 2 Wetherspoon's near where I live (walking distance). I think they try to keep a couple of decent beers, but are what I would call 'value boozers' i.e. sell on price. I've had a drink in one (The Jug and Jester) which was ok but very quiet on a Firday (or Saturday, I forget, I was on a crawl) night. The other (The Benjamin Sacthwell) is definitely a 'hey, it's cheap' place, lot of kids (i.e. underage/ close to underage drinkers), even my 19 year old son, who has no taste and little money, avoids that one.

Then again, I doubt I am the demographic they are aiming for.

5. Bwood_Ranger

They've got some here that were banks and even churches I think and they tend to try and keep some elements of the decor.

Would be unlike The Telegraph to advocate it if it was just full of serfs http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-...etherspoons-are-the-best-pubs-in-Britain.html

6. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

I think our nearest Weatherspoons is in Letchworth. Generally, I find them a little bit too contrived. Give me spit and sawdust (a la Ballot Box circa 1985) anytime.

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

8. Bwood_Ranger

They're cheap enough for "pre-drinks" too if you're still of an age for that sort of thing. If the 73 refers to your year of birth feel free to ignore this :cheesy:

9. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

I think that might refer to his age!!

Bwood_Ranger likes this.
  10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Ha! I wish it did mate. I'd be sb_61 by that method.......don't write us old geezers off. But you are right, I have no need to preload.

11. Swords Hoopster.

There was a wrangle with the council over this one because its a listed building. Apparently they wanted to demolish the front wall or summat. Work was stopped for about 4 months. They must have accepted certain conditions because the sign out front looks very eloquent and has the year the school was established on it too. Of course they might have done that off their own bat but I suspect their hand may have been forced regarding certain aspects of their design. I won't be able to tell until I check the inside next week.

Otherwise Stan its probably no harm having a cheap and cheerful joint in an area cos it might force the other pubs to reduce their prices a bit. Can't see it working without them showing the sport on TV though. I would've thought that would defeat the purpose of trying to pack a large building full of youngsters

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Wats can confirm or deny this, but from what I see via offspring, youngsters gather in large numbers to get pissed and shag each other. They don't need sport on the telly. And yes, it was much the same a few years ago.

13. Swords Hoopster.

Phukking savages

sb_73 likes this.
  14. Bwood_Ranger

Depends how you define youngster but it's relatively rare that lads of 18 meet for a few pints and watch a game. I'm well beyond uni age or at least it feels that way but that's what going out was about then as you mention, get pissed and hopefully find someone stupid enough and attractive enough for a shag.

My last and to date only one night stand however was at a student night in Birmingham after a day at Cheltenham races when my group were the oldest in there by a good three years and the place was filthy. Exactly what you want at that age but as I approach the grand old age of 26, girls living in student halls are just about off limits on the paedo scale. In just a few years girls of that age have definitely got filthiest so I'd worry if you have daughters at uni.

Great night though and still made it to Selhurst Park for the early kick-off and even walked out before Phillips' goal. Makes me upset to have a girlfriend now.

15. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

First round of drinks on you Swords? So this could be your new local watering hole?

The Wetherspoons in Swords has an opening date.

please log in to view this image

A preview of what the beer garden will look like once renovations are complete.

Locals of Swords are invariably waiting to see what effect the entrance of JD Wetherspoon will have upon a very bustling pub market in this north Dublin town. Their location in Blanchardstown, The Great Wood, is set to open in June of this year.

Wetherspoons have announced that their new pub ‘The Old Borough’ (retaining the name of the previous pub on the site) will open on the 21st of July. Once the doors have opened, that will make 4 Wetherspoons in Dublin suburban areas, with a further 2 to come in the city centre on Aungier street and Abbey street.

http://publin.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/oldborough.jpg

The Old Boro pub

The Old Boro pub which is now owned by J.D. Wetherspoon is located at the junction of Main Street Swords and Malahide Road,
    Old Borough Main st Swords Co. Dublin
    Tel: (01)8957685 This pub is closed for renovations and should be open in July 2015

Old Boro School History And Design The pub is a former National School and was used by the Protestant residents of Swords until it's closure in 2000.

Detached nine-bay two-storey former national school house, c.1810, on a T-shaped plan. Attributed to architect Francis Johnston. Pair of single-bay single-storey projecting porches to front and three-bay two-storey return to rear. Now in use as offices. ROOF: Double pitched; slate; concrete ridge tiles; granite coping; roughcast chimney stack; yellow clay pots; timber eaves; cast-iron rainwater goods; hipped roofs to porches; slate; rolled lead ridge tiles. WALLS: Roughcast over rubble stone; unpainted. OPENINGS:

Square headed opening; granite sills; 6/6 timber sash windows; cylinder glass; replacement timber panelled door to left porch; sidelight and overlight; round headed door opening to right porch; timber panelled door; overlight. The information here is how the building was when it was first built in 1810. Some changes have taken place since and most if not all of the original features are gone. The outside mainframe of the building is pretty much the same as it originally was.

I have no doubt that Wetherspoons will also make a few changes before opening. Wetherspoons generally have an open plan pub which is bright and spacious. They do have large screen television with the sound muted [ at last, a pub that's not dominated by television ]. All the tables in the pub are numbered, this helps when ordering food, you simply go up to the bar and order your food giving the table number and the food will be brought down to your table.

The Old Borough was designed by Francis Johnston who also designed the General Post Office in O'Connell Street Dublin. In December 1804 the Government purchased the land for £200. The building opened as The Old Borough National School on the 18th of February 1908 at a cost of £1,800. The first schoolmasters were Joseph Carmichael and Anne Carmichael. They were paid £100 a year as a salary. The Old Borough National School occupied the premises for 191 years, becoming one of the best known buildings and most significant constructions in the town during the 19th Century, funding mandatory schooling as well as apprenticeships. The School closed down in the year 2000 and a new school was built at Church Road

http://www.swords-dublin.com/the-old-boro-pub.html

16. Swords Hoopster.

I saw a sign today saying "Jimmy Savile Auctioneers". I wonder have they seen a dip in business over the last couple of years?

Killy, as ever you're right on the ball. Drinks on me for sure if you ever roll into town my friend.

17. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely - Pendrell's Oak in Holborn is great. The others are hit and miss and often dependent on what the area is like in general - so Stanmore and Hatch End very good but Colindale not so much...

18. Pils-the-hoop

Pils-the-hoop Active Member

They have just opened one up in Hitchin shefford at the old Tory club site.

My bro runs the door............ its the only pub in Hitchin with door staff.

Their beer has a shelf life of 2 weeks max as they have a very quick turnaround and they are turning over £63.000 a week!

Most pubs takings in the vacinity are down at least £4k a week.

I dont mind them though as my local, Mollie Malones in Nightingale Road now does several lagers at £3.00 a pint to compensate, and my tipple - Aspalls at £3.40................happy days!

19. Bwood_Ranger

The one in Watford town centre is a delight.

20. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's why it is usually given to visiting fans - or certainly used to be. I avoid the centre like the plague on match days now.