1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kenny Becomes Sir Kenny

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Page_Moss_Kopite, Jun 8, 2018.

1. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

It is a shame that the honours system has been so severely damaged with all scandals and corruptions. There is not even being disputed by the authorities and political parties that millionaires giving x amount to their funds will be given this and that honour. There is even talk of a price list: £50k - £100k gives a knighthood and £500k gives a peerage etc.

We have now 2 classes of knights and dames. One with deserving people who have no political affiliation and another with people who have given political donations, political lackeys, servants of the establishment and such like.

2. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

i think there are 3

Gongs handed out to sportsmen and members of the "entertainment" industry just for winning an olympic medal / being popular.

It is quite funny though desperately working out what extra honours they can give to sportsmen who carry on winning .

The ones i appreciate most are those to the mainly unrecognised people up and down this land who give of themselves to benefit others i.e. the pensioner who keeps the local "meals on wheels" going to ensure the "old folk" get fed, the bloke who runs the local kids footy team just as he has for the 25 years etc :angel:

Edit Sorry JB couldn't help myself :emoticon-0127-lipss

jenners04 likes this.
  3. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

tbh I couldn't care less if some are paying for their honours. That's a discussion for another day.

Kenny's got a knighthood - he's pleased and I'm pleased for him.

Zanjinho and The IncREDibles like this.
  4. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

Sadly it keeps us docile, forelock-tugging and cap-doffing, because who wants to criticise Kenny being honoured? We honour him already with the title of King, borne of love and respect; the establishment honours people out of a need to keep the public onside.

It's the ultimate in ligging. The question is are the popstars hanging out with the Queen or is the Queen hanging out with the popstars?

please log in to view this image

Say what you like about the French but the guillotine was a grand invention.

5. carlthejackal

Can’t argue with that. How do the Royals maintain such a privileged position for so long despite a more modern sceptical enlightened and egalitarian population? By bestowing favours to the public and to the political classes. Every prime minister and every top minister (foreign, home, chancellor) know that if they keep their nose clean (I.e don’t criticise the royals) a knighthood will be the minimum they get when they retire. Some will be made life peers. With the vast majority of politicians keen on royal patronage no wonder the crown will be safe in this country for another century.

What we need is a unique honour for people who have done a great service to society. Giving a knighthood for simply donating to party funds should be banned.

Milk not bear jizz likes this.
  6. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

The Royals have very little to do with the honours awarded these days they are either selected by Civil Servants based on recommendations to do with good work or by politicians for their own reasons.

7. carlthejackal

Sure.

The Royals give some to the people who served them directly. But these are few. Of course the politicians and top civil servants choose the honours but the consequences are not only their having serious patronage but the outcome is beneficial to the Royals too. Because a lord/baroness or a knight/Dame is there to serve the sovereign.