1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kedwell Deal virtually Done

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by vinney, Jun 22, 2011.

1. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

Right he is not proven but Jackson was not nor was Cody as he only had got like 3 or 4 for Norwich before he come to us and got better so give the lad a chance.

2. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Hessy was 26 years old and still playing non league football until someone decided to give him the chance.
    I guess from your reckoning he was crap then?

3. GillinghamLAD

GillinghamLAD Member

Lenny38 you're missing the point. Hess has got money, we are having to pay a fee for Kedwell.

Out of interest which proven goalscorer would you sign? Taking into account your comment that Hess has no money he would have to be a free agent. Marvin Morgans name is being spread round again but other than him, I struggle.

4. Gillsboi

Gillsboi New Member

Lenny mate you're off your head! The last three seasons the Gills lead Goal scorer has been a player that has no other real league experience other then with the Gills! So now we go in for another quite promising one in hope that he will fill the gap and you say it wont work?! Surely the last 3 years have quite frankly pooped all over your logic... I suppose you'd rather pay 3 times as much for potentially the same player but has played in league 2?!

5. Gills79

Gills79 Member

I think its a good signing. However, he's not the fastest player around and would probably need a quick partner rather than a Marvin Morgan type player.

Don't really fancy Marvin Morgan at all - looked to be a few attitude problems last season.

6. brb

brb Guest

Lenny - alright fella <ok>

Now let's put a few things straight <laugh>...

Proven goalscorers at league level don't guarantee you goals, it's how they fit into the team, for example would Cody have got as many goals last season without Bayo?

Jacko another example, what happened to his goals on our run in to the end of season before last?

Also why knock a guy because he's from non - league?

I hasten to add a non league side that gained promotion, out of what I consider to be a more difficult league than league two. A player that has proven his goal scoring ability during that promotion season.

Now come on Lenny admit it, your just trying to rattle a few cages :emoticon-0103-cool:

7. GillinghamLAD

GillinghamLAD Member

Oh I agree, I don't fancy him myself either. I'm strongly of the opinion we need pace. Just that he's the only other name I've seen us linked with these last few days.

8. HOADIE_BOI

Yeah Jackson had not got up to league 2 nor had Cody so Danny has done something extra to warrant him a go at this league.

9. Gills79

Gills79 Member

Marvin Morgan is about to sign for Shrewsbury.

10. GillinghamLAD

GillinghamLAD Member

That's good news to me. Although IF we were in for him, you really can't tell these days with the rumours, is that another player that's turned us down? And for a team that's becoming somewhat of a rival these days?

11. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

Looks like Morgan is off to Shrewsbury anyway, so back to the drawing board. Maybe Birchall?

12. HOADIE_BOI

Yeah he is a good player, but will cost money like Kedwell, but would love to have both./

13. brb

brb Guest

14. Carras_Prodigy

shut up lenny.

15. brb

brb Guest

Why use many words, when three will do <laugh>

16. The Shouting Man

The Shouting Man Active Member

I would like to believe that even with financial state the club is in, if the right target was available then a certain amount of money would be available for transfer fees/wages.

Kedwell is worth a punt as there is not a great difference in the standard of football from the top of the BSP to League 1, as Stevenage proved last season. Ok he may not be as mobile as Cody or Jackson... But with the right service knows where the goal is.

Who knows perhaps a Payne (S)/Kedwell partnership could work next season...

17. GeminiSwiftgfc

GeminiSwiftgfc Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

At the end of the day whoever you sign is a gamble. There are no guarentees that whoever you sign will be successful. It's about getting the right players, in the right team, at the right time for the system that that your manager wishes to play.

18. Harrygillz

Harrygillz Member

I don't believe we can afford a proven goalscorer at this level and even if they are on a free how do you think we can compete with the wages of the clubs in the leagues above that will be after them. I think our best chance is to get in either loan signings or source talent from the lower leagues and if kedwell can bang in 26 goals in a decent conference then i am more then happy to see him play at gills especially if he is as hard working and passionate about the club as people have said

19. Tom-Tom-Sat-Nav

Don't forget guys, if he stayed at AFC we would've been facing him this season anyway!

20. brb

brb Guest