1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Just 2 points off 8th place

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by ProudPotter, May 21, 2017.

1. ProudPotter

ProudPotter Well-Known Member

Well after all the ups and downs (largely downs perhaps) we have finished just 2 points shy of 8th place which would have continued Mark Hughes's progress in a strange way. So has the season been that bad? That 46 points has been sufficient to earn 8th place suggests that overall the season for all the PL clubs, apart from the top 7, has been disappointing. If only we had not conceded last minute goals at Bet365 against WBA and Man Utd we would have clinched our highest PL finish yet. Ifs and buts, I know, but this season has shown how any team below 7th could have flirted with the possibility of relegation. As far as Stoke are concerned it is the heavy defeats that have been disturbing plus the shortage of goals scored and our inability to defend properly on numerous occasions.

Where do we go from here? I don't know the answer but it looks an unbalanced squad to me with insufficient pace and too many on the wrong side of 30. Will Hughes stay on, will the 'family' be willing to spend big in the summer to ensure a better outcome next season and who is likely to not be here next season? These and other questions will no doubt be answered in the coming months but now, thankfully it's the cricket season, and summer!!

nickyb likes this.
  2. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

• Dunno mate, but I think that it shows that apart from 4 or 5 teams everybody has had a strange season. My main gripe is not that we have beaten but HOW we have been beaten by spineless, gutless capitulation. And that in my opinion is down to the manager

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  3. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Glass half full or half empty - who knows. 2 points of eighth and a shed load of goals, 4 points off last of the stayer uppers with joint lowest wins and one of the lowest scorers in the league?

For me, the last 2 seasons were an opportunity missed and one (or two?) we may never get again. You can't look at results in isolation, the bigger picture needs considering - the question is are there any positives?