1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Junior Hoilett

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Swords Hoopster., Dec 20, 2014.

1. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

Has to be the most frustrating QPR player in many years (other than he who shall not be named).

Came on and immediately his running was causing their defence to wobble. Yet every time he went near their box he refused to look up and kept doing stepovers until he lost possession. Just before our 3rd he was running at their defence and had two free players to square it to on the inside but kept going with it and blasted it off their player and out for a corner. The air turned blue around me at that point. Then the corner's swung in and we score!

After that he was run into space two or three times with good options on and he just kept the head down and ran the wrong direction and into the corner, losing possession each time with Austin and Fer exasperated with him. One of these times WBA got the ball, ran down the other end and smacked it off the bar.

I wanted him to start the game but after he come on, I pulled out what little hair I had left in vexation. He's fukking Shaun Wright Phillips with a different number on his back.

Having said all of that, I still wouldn't write him off because he does scare defenders because he's quick. He just drives me bloody insane.

Anyone else feel this way?

2. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

No, not at all. Are you not as happy as I am, Swordsie?

3. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

I think he was instructed to take it to the corner if we had gone ahead.

Fair enough but there was at least one chance with Charlie in plenty of space for his 4th! Would have been worth a go.

And yes, he scares the pants off defenders.

4. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Immediately runs at defenders and they hate that.
    We had more going forward as soon as he came on.
    Set up a great chance for Charlie with a run and cross.
    Did more in his brief appearance than the lazy fer did all game.

5. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I called the substitution of Hoilett for Vargas just before it was made and he certainly frightened them, but I was very frustrated by him taking it the corner on two occasions when he had two to cross to. Why not just score another goal? That's the way to close the game out.

6. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Yes, that was a great pass to Charlie (I prematurely thought it might be the goal for his hat-trick).

In the closing minutes he seemed a bit confused about the corner flag routine, not that he has the physique to hold the fort there. On one occasion he could have played Charlie on instead for a possible 4th goal, but chose the corner route, and ended up losing the ball.

7. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Exactly, I hadn't read your post when I made my comment regarding that.

8. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

He terrifies the opposition but frustrates me.

He works hard and has loads of pace and a fair share of skill but he could be a really great player if coached to be more alert and make better decisions.

It seems too often that he beats a couple of players and slices a ball high and wide while teammates have made it into the box to support him; almost predictable sadly.

He'd be a great one for Hoddle to work with.

9. Swords Hoopster.

Unless I'm missing summat Matty, ain't Hoddle been at the Club for about three months now? Isn't that was he's supposed to be doing?

I don't think its about coaching at this stage in his career mate. You can't coach those kinds of habits out of a player any more than you could coach Bobby to be a 20 goal a season man.

Regarding us fans, it just comes down to tolerance levels. Some fans have oceans of patience with these types of players whereas they drive others potty!

10. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

Last time it was mentioned (a while ago) Hoddle had been coaching Traore. I think Hoillett would be worth an investment of time and effort.

It's not a huge change to make him more effective but it is a necessary one for him to succeed (and probably why some big clubs are sniffing around him - they probably could get him to the next level).

11. Grifter

Grifter Well-Known Member

He played 2 great balls for Charlie which could've easily resulted in goals. The attempts at timewasting near the end were awful though- he was clearly nervous and seemed incapable of shielding the ball.

12. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

whenever he gets the ball I always sit that bit closer to the edge of my seat

13. Swords Hoopster.

I think its you who's been sniffing sumfink

14. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

A Hoilett run and great pass set up Austin for a chance he should have scored from.
    A Hoilett run and shot forced the corner which led to Austin's wwinner.

I wonder what some of you are watching sometimes!

15. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

I only saw the highlights but the above is how I saw it.

16. Swords Hoopster.

Which is a credit to Hoilett because if you feature in the highlights you're obviously doing something right. However, there were plenty of "lowlights" to his performance which just make you want to bang your head against the nearest Wheelie Bin.

Junior Hoilett. To play or not to play, that is the question.

He's very handy to spring off the bench and stretch a tiring team. Perhaps that's his best role rather than a 90 minute job. I've said since I watched him preseason that I think his best position is more central. How about bringing him on behind the front man with 15 minutes to go? He could tuck his head down and run straight at them through the middle and perhaps win a Pen or summat.

I don't know. He's a player who is very hard to find a suitable role for. A bit like Traore in that respect.

17. YappyR

YappyR Well-Known Member

No player can be perfect all the time!

I thought he played just fine as he came on. His first two runs ended in perfect passes to Charlie that should've been goals, had they not been for their goalie and defenders' blocks, the third run ended up in the corner that ended up in the header by Charlie (after a crappy cross from Barton that also ended up in a corner from which we scored, thank goodness, may be it was mean to be?), and then he had three more runs, I believe, which were to kill the clock but nobody really helped him so he got cornered by himself (per Arry's instructions, mind you, so it's OK), so it wasn't all his fault.

But he did his job and we won from it, so I'd give him a break. He looked fresh and lively and happy to be playing, which is saying a lot.

18. Eamon Holmes

Eamon Holmes Well-Known Member

Hughes and Stoke have been mentioned a lot! Massive.

19. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

Taarabt is fairly frustrating <whistle>

20. sku

sku Well-Known Member

I think at times he lacks decisiveness.

I think his ability is part of the problem here in an odd way. A less skillfill player would create less space and options. I think he creates so many options that he doesn't take advantage of. Many a time he will beat a player, then cut the ball back, then hesitate to consider his options.

In doing so he allows the defender to get goal side and he seeks to beat him again, and the loop continues.

That said, yesterday he did seem more decisive. However when he took it to the corner with Charlie screaming for a fourth goal, I guess he was on orders from Harry. I just wish he'd smash it off the defender's shins when he's penned in by the corner flag to win a corner and take a bit more time out of the game.