1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Junior Hoilett

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Whole-lot-of-Holt_HtH, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whole-lot-of-Holt_HtH

Was sitting down with my tea (toad in the hole) and reading my regular daily mail and Sun I buy everyday to keep up to date with the world of sport and noticed an article saying Blackburns Hoilett will be off to QPR for 4 million. This annoyed me as it would be a great signing for a reasonable price and was wondering why on earth we havent tried to get him. He is a fantastic young player. Time we started showing some ambition and going for talent like this - also heard Reading are interested in Defoe and West HAm CArroll. We are getting left behind. Splash out at least 10 million on 1 or 2 good players and we will reap the rewards. Specualte to accumalate. Come on Hughton, sort it out boi.

OTBC

2. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

Wages!

Our next signing could be jack Robinson on loan from liverpool, young LB to cover tierney.

3. ncfcwonky

ncfcwonky New Member

Both those papers write absolute crap. That's all I've got to say on this!

4. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

It's a slippery slope away from the model Lambert worked with if Hughton were to do that, which I doubt he ever would. As important as signing Holt up was, if it's ruined the wage structure it may be counter-productive imo if Ruddy, Hoolahan or whoever do similarly in future. Splashing out £10m on one or even two players would probably give Beef a heart attack which is something Hughton should also bear in mind.

5. Beefforhire-NCFC

Beefforhire-NCFC Well-Known Member

YaWWNNNNN!!

6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in the post re Curtis Davies this morning. Two things against JH coming to Carrow Road
    1. Wages - we wouldn't be prepared to pay what he's asking
    2. Norwich isn't London. I can imagine he'd far rather be going clubbing etc in London as opposed to Norwich

As this story was in the Daily Mail - the same paper as claimed we were going to sign Jack Butland and JR would go to Villa!! Smacks of lazy journalism I'm afraid!!

7. #BigHairyWinger

forgetting the trolling for a second

hoilett wants stupid money and also he scored manic goals against us and i hate him so no no no no no no no no

8. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I wasn't trolling. It was a serious point that splashing out five or ten million on a player who will presumably be on wages equal to or greater than Holt is a dangerous move in a squad built on an ethos of equality.

9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

According to one report he's asking for £40,000 a week and no way could NCFC afford that. I'm sure there are clubs who would be willing to meet his wage demands though!! <cheers>

Also read somewhere that PL wants Scott Sinclair at Villa, but has asked him to cut his wage demands!!

10. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

as i understand it, newcastle were very keen to sign the lad and i'm not surprised - he's a fantastic young player. however, since meeting the player they have decided against following that initial approach up because he was not deemed the right sort of personality to fit in at their club. what that means is anyones guess, and his wage demands are alleged to be extortionate, so i expect him to roll up at qpr <ok>

11. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

not sure why people are suggesting you are trolling. i totally agree with you <ok>

12. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

My guess is he wasn't meaning WatfordR, or I hope not as it would be a very unfair comment.

13. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Could have been aimed at WloH, though I've never known him to troll before.....<whistle>

If the OP was serious, he really should understand that transfer fees are not the end of it (see also his 'Owen' for City post!)

14. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

oh sorry. yeah, probably right!

15. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

I do wish more people would appreciate that point. £4m fee, £40000 a week contract for 4 years plus fees, pension and expenses all adds up to more than £13m - just on one player. That's the sort of thing 'arry did at Portsmouth - somebody like to remind me of the outcome!!!

16. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

I really like Hoilett.

He scored 2 identical goals against us last season because we let him cut inside and grab a yard on Martin. It was like watching Hucks a bit, except Hoilett looks technically better but does not have the pace of Hucks.

I would like to have signed him but to be honest I knew almost straight away that he would be out of our league in wage demands, a bit like Moses.

Does Jackson play with him for Canada? Maybe he could have a word, but I doubt we will meet his evaluation of the wage he thinks he is entitled to.

I think from what I have heard, this season is a bit of strange one with finances as we have to pay off all of our debt this term which is a good thing. Next season (if we stay up) we should have a lot more cash to play with and I think we will be seeing a few more exotic signings and the wage structure will then be reviewed.

17. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

It’s an incredibly difficult balancing act. Do we, as some people suggest, buy in ‘proven’ players on exorbitant wages? This still doesn’t guarantee survival, and could, as 1950 canary suggests, blow up in our faces.

Or do we stick with what has been successful for us in recent times, hoping the squad can do enough to keep us up. Another/further season(s) in the top flight would do wonders for our finances, and then we could think again about the wage structure.

My feeling is that we are capable of surviving with what we have with one or two careful additions, and this would be my preferred way forward.

18. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Our financial priorities should be in the following order
    1) Pay off the debt
    2) Build up the Academy to produce our own players
    3) Build AND PAY FOR a new stand/stands/stadium
    4) Save a bit of money for a rainy day
    5) Continue to live within our means giving the Manager, whoever that might be at the time, as much as they can for transfers and wages without going into debt.

If that means a spell or spells in the Championship again then hard luck. I have been going to Carrow Road for 62 years and in that time, due to building up debt, we have nearly gone bust/out of existence 3 times. If they ever start spending money they don't have again then that will be the day I refuse to renew my season ticket.

19. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Hoillett has talent but would cost us dear - it's the wages and add-ons that would cause the issues not the actual transfer fee.

If we were to buy,buy, buy players demanding daft wages such as this then it would be bye, bye, bye NCFC and none of us want that.

20. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

Agree with you Gandy,

It's really difficult. I wouldn't want any Zamora type players but I see Hoilett as a good youngster at the start of a very promising career. It's a hard call to make, but to truley play with the big boys and become a consistent top half side things one day will have to move on.

You can't stand still in the premier league, or you will go backwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.