1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Joshua Onomah

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by O.Spurcat, Nov 29, 2012.

1. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

For those of you who are interested in our up and coming talent, we have Josh Onomah playing for England under 16's this evening.

Josh is considered to be one of our best prospects for many years. He is an attacking midfielder who can play anywhere across the middle. He is rated so highly that he has been playing for our under 18 side and has also made an appearance for our under 21 side, which is extraordinary given his age.

I did mention Joshua on here a while back, but as this evening means he is playing for England for the 3rd consecutive game, I thought it worth bringing him to your attention. Remember his name.

2. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I have to confess that I'm not familiar with the name. However, I'm a great subscriber to the if you're good enough, you're old enough philosophy. He sounds like just what we need. Let's hope his progress through the ranks is a rapid one. After all, Rooney debuted for Everton at 16 - who can forget his goal against the Goons!..

3. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

Great to hear of another good prospect doing well.

4. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Yes, I've also been following Onomah's progress with interest.

You can see all the games he's featured for Tottenham this season here...

Tottenham Hotspur Reserves (Spurs XI), Under-21s, NextGen (U-19s) & Academy (U-18s) 2012-13

5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The FA's twitter feed made it sound like he had a few chances to score.
    England nicked it right at the death. 1-0.

6. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

I saw him in the last England game v Wales, I was impressed, great feet, balance, can see a pass and work a space to deliver it. I could be describing Dembele here! He was supposed to be on the right, but tended to come infield and when he did he made things happen. Very bright future at this rate.

7. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Damn, was looking forward to seeing him play again, didn't see anything particularly special in the Wales game that I saw of his. They just showed a couple of highlights of today's game on SSN, including him missing a sitter. I've seen nowhere near enough of him but it's promising to hear that he's being highly rated by the club.

8. O.Spurcat

The club is 5hit scared Alex Inglethorpe will tempt this lad (and others), to follow him to Liverpool. So much so that the club felt it necessary to place Inglethorpe on "gardening leave" in the last weeks of his period of notice.

9. notsosmartspur

Did you watch the whole match YV?

Re-reading my post and I see it has painted a picture by probably being a bit too concise. I wouldn't put it quite like you have, but yeah, he didn't run the game or anything, but when he was involved that was what I saw in amongst the average bits of play and an odd mistake you'd expect to see. He did the basics very well, something that eludes a lot of the first team...like passing to a teammate!

10. No Kane No Gain

The Wales one? I think I saw the second half, not entirely sure now I think about it <laugh> All I meant is that I didn't see anything that made me think he was much better than the other England players. Not a reflection on his abillity just what little I saw of him.

11. notsosmartspur

<ok>...depends how you watch the game too, if I'm watching someone in particular thats what I tend to do, I follow him round the pitch, I don't follow the ball round waiting for it to come to him, I like to see what players are up to off the ball. Are they standing around, or moving about tracking, marking, finding space to receive when the move breaks down etc. I have missed the odd goal doing that though! <laugh> Btw it was a funny first half, the match was temporarily abandoned til a patch of torrential rain and hailstones...well, hail pebbles had passed! don't see that very often!

I can't find a report but I did for the Scotland game, he gets plenty of mention in their. He'll of course be delighted to have won the tournament too! :)

http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u16s/News/2012/scotland-burton-albion-match-report.aspx

12. No Kane No Gain

It was weird because I knew I watched it after you mentioned it on the board. I searched up where you posted it as I was sure I'd said I was watching it too but it turns out I just posted some highlights of our Wolfsburg game.

Anyway my main memory of it was seeing Bellamy in the crowd supporting his son who came on as a sub :D Not a memorable game for me...

13. notsosmartspur

No, not a great game as a spectacle, the break was unsettling, made it look like two halftimes!, but I wasn't really watching for that, I was in hawkeye mode! :) <ok>

14. ComfortablyNumb

Is he English?

(Yes I know he's playing for England, but that doesn't mean he's English)

15. No Kane No Gain

Not sure, couldn't find anything on the net. This thread comes up 4th on Google when you search his name though <ok>

Hopefully he'll get a shock callup to our first team and we'll get a load of new users who were searching to find out who he was :)

16. notsosmartspur

He's on tv now Sky Sports 2, Eng v Sco just started. <ok>

He's playing centre forward in this one (no.9), he's also the only player to be selected in all the matches.

17. O.Spurcat

Onomah was born in England.

18. O.Spurcat

He has also played up front on a couple of ocasions for us, but is mainly used as an attacking mid.

19. notsosmartspur

Hi SC, are we still finding his best position then, or is he just that versatile anyway.

He had a bright start but the game got all very tight in the middle after that, with chances few and far between. 2nd half on now.

<ok>

20. O.Spurcat

A bit of both Notso. His preferred position is in the centre of the 3 in a 4231 line up, but he has played the holding role and also on the right and the left of the 3. I am pretty sure Inglethorpe preferred him in the middle, but he's gone now, so his replacement might see dfferent.