1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Joselu vs Will Grigg.... Vs Shola Ameobi!!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by TheJudeanPeoplesFront, Feb 16, 2019.

?

Joselu vs Will Grigg vs Shola

1. Josepoo

2. Will "he ever score" Grigg

3. Mackem Slayer

4. I love them all

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Get it right

Its

Usually

Flash likes this.
  2. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about training or his mates, I was talking about respected figures in the game who I'd credit with more football knowledge than your good self.
    Also, in my opinion he was a much better footballer than often given credit for. A lot of people on here forget, or choose to forget how good he was as a young player.
    He was very poorly managed by Souness who overused him despite the serious injury he was carrying, which had a huge negative effect on him.

3. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

He was crap.

Alan shearer was a good player , but has no idea otherwise.

4. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

So what you are saying is that he started off as a promising youngster and due to injury he became a Carl Cort?

5. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

This does not answer that particular question but i will add that in 2000 I saw Ameobi playing for England U23's in Leicester and he was awesome. Still recall a Cryuff turn he carried out by the by-line before putting in a cross for a goal.

He certainly had promise.

6. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Maybe he can be likened to Tim Krul then?

7. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

He never did a Cryuff turn.

8. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I like the way this starts off in black and white and then switches to colour.

9. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Shola by a country mile. He was useful when younger. Yes he was a bit lazy and never going to be a world beater but he was better than the impression Newcastle fans were left with. The lad we saw when older was not the same lad prior to Souness/Roeder. As Jimi correctly notes playing through that groin/hip injury had a significant impact on his career. Souness and Roeder were a disgrace in what they did with Shola. They saw him as an expendable. I recall Roeder coming out in the local rag saying "yes I am going to play him in the next game, he can get through it, but he needs wrapped in cotton wool really as its quite a serious problem". I remember thinking Jesus what a caring bloke. Quite happy to **** a lad long term to try to save his own skin.

Shola being a Newcastle fan was happy to try but should never have been asked to. As someone who has a long term hip/groin issue because of playing through injury (though I have to say that was my choice), I don't think you can underestimate how much you lose in terms of mobility. You will start a game ok but then the hip joint will just slowly seize up. You can play but you've lost probably 30-40%. I'm lucky as its only football which seems to have this effect (must be all the twisting and turning). So I can go to the gym pain free and not have any issues at all. That might change when I get older though.

He wasn't that bad to be honest.

Joselu I can't really say anything bad about. He puts in 100% every time he plays. I've never looked at him and thought, he isn't even trying. He is just not very good. I would struggle to determine what he is. The tin says striker or forward but he shows none of the natural traits you look for in that type of player. I think he'd probably do well at League 1 level, but I couldn't even see him scoring that many in the Championship.

Will Grigg is a solid League 1 striker. That is his level. A johnny on the spot type heavily reliant on having people around him to do the hard yards and provide chances. If you are getting into the box plenty, and have someone who can whip in pacy low crosses, he'll do the job at league 1 level.

TheJudeanPeoplesFront likes this.
  10. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Shola was a good footballer for the first half of his career. Even in the second half, he had his uses. If you wanted a game to die of boredom, there was nobody better than old shamblefoot. And he could have taught Shearer how to take a penalty.

11. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Problem with Shola is that he undoubtedly had talent but needed a rocket up his backside to motivate him to perform. When Shola was younger Shearer would always be giving him that rocket. When Shola was the senior pro there was no-one to give him that rocket.

12. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

True.

Delusional Full Stop likes this.