1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Joe Allen

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by The IncREDibles, Nov 13, 2012.

1. The IncREDibles

The IncREDibles Well-Known Member

What are everyone's thoughts on him so far this season?

My personal opinion is that he doesn't offer anything different to the team than Lucas. Lucas' ball retention might not be quite as good, but it's certainly not a weakness in his game, plus I feel that the Brazillian's range of passing is better.

Anyway, my point is that Allen being no different to Lucas is fine while Lucas is injured, but do you think he will be able to play successfully in the same team as Lucas?

It's just that I remember when Lucas and Mascherano were in the same team, and it never really worked because the two of them were always doing the same job and were often getting in the way of each other. Lucas got a lot of stick that season because it was generally accepted that Mascherano was a great defensive midfielder.

I just hope that the same thing doesn't happen to Allen

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Allen will naturally play further up the pitch when Lucas is back, he's doing a good job in what is not his position at the moment. When he's playing further forward he moves the ball quickly creating space and moving defenders for the forwards to exploit.

On the weekend he wasn't at his best, however he was in good positions often and looking to receive the ball, his team mates were slow in getting the ball to him so that he was always closed down by the time it did get there.

Watch his movement in a game he drifts into good positions and looks to get the ball the others need to think more quickly and decide if there is a better ball or give it to Allen as he's always available.

I've watched him for a while now and he is a really good player.

3. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I think he started brilliantly but has slightly declined. He is a different player to Lucas, who is more defensive and is a ball winner and this is not Allen's style.

Allen is a very technical player - his passing, his control and technique is fantastic for such a young player. He always gets into a position to receive the ball and his movement and pressing highlights just how lazy the midfield looks with the likes of Gerrard and Shelvey in there. Nuri Sahin is another young midfield is similar to Allen but with more attacking intent but even he looks a little slow and lethargic compared to Allen.

I'm glad we have him - I think our midfield is stronger with him in it but it also needs Lucas alongside him or just beneath him. However, knowing that Rodgers had a limited transfer budget, would I have spent a majority of it on Allen when you could argue we had other areas that required strengthening? ...

4. Started great, declined since and is suffering for having to play the DM role. Expect a trio of Gerrard, Lucas and Allen when all are available.

IMO Henderson could do a job at DM so if Allen continues to be out of form we should try him in there instead.

5. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Flappy Flanagan (JK) Well-Known Member

Allen is not a DM. He is not playing i his best position.

I'd like to see Henderson play DM with Allen in his preferred role.

6. Garharsam

Garharsam Member

I think Joe is a very good player, although the last couple of games he hasn’t played well, I think this is down to the opposition targeting him and closing down much quicker. Ya could argue that he should be better on the ball even under pressure but I don’t think he is getting a dig out from the other midfielders. To be honest Sahin has not played well and this has impacted in Allens performance. He needs an out ball, very hard to find when some of your fellow midfielders are not prepared to make room to receive the ball.

7. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

He will be great when Lucas comes back, at the moment he is suffering. I noticed that the chelsea players closed him down quickly, they obviously did their homework on him. Allen needs to adapt.

8. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Sahin has disappointed also, but I know he can be better. But even when they haven't been their best, it is still far better than having Spearing and Adam.

9. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

I dont think having Spearing in DM would be all that bad right now. Especially in Europe. At least he has the passion and commitment.

Sahin has been poor apart from two games. He should be dropped.

Gerrard needs to play further forward.

Henderson - DM
    Allen - CM
    Gerrard - AM

Gerrard will link up and run ahead of Suarez and attack. Which no one else is doing.

i think Allen will get better with age and he gains more experience. I think he should pump up a bit to. He is a small guy, which could make him an easy target.

10. Noblelox

Noblelox Well-Known Member

Henderson is ****, and will be sold in the summer.

11. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Harsh. I am a big fan of Henderson.

His performances in Europe have been better than a lot of other players who have featured in the league.

12. I think he will be sold purely because Rodgers tried to use him in the Dempsey deal. I don't think he is **** though, he's not been given a chance in the middle!

13. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

14. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

15. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

With Rodgers using a system with a fulse 9, he may like to go for two pass and move masters ahead of Lucas who can link well will Suarez and the wide forwards.

Spain used a midfield of Basquettes, Alonso and Xavi, with Xavi the furthest forward. Barcelona play Basquettes, Xavi and either Fabrigas or Iniesta.

Though Rodgers has told Shelvey he can see him as a big part of his future.

16. We are not Barcelona!
    We are not Swansea!
    We are not Man Utd!

We are Liverpool Football Club!

17. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

He will be a better player when Lucas gets back and we will be more solid.

18. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Very true. But we can see where Rodgers gets a lot of his inspiration from.

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

**** ya. <ok>

Pass and move, the Liverpool groove.

20. True but I find it annoying that we constantly make reference to these three clubs <ok>