1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January window

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Norway, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Norway

Norway Well-Known Member

Big Sam reckons he has the Sunderland saviours already on board. He doesn't see the need to dip into the coffers in the January window. ( Sporting life)
    Thought we needed an upgrade in the defensive area, and the reports were that he had 20 million to spend.
    Your thoughts!

2. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

sporting life is the Mirror pal, so just more horseshit from them.

although tellung everyone we're not in the market gives a better negotiating position.

3. Black Cat Kiwi

Black Cat Kiwi Well-Known Member

Probably the Newcastle Edition <laugh>

4. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Why would the club tell the world how much money Allardyce has to spend? No club has EVER done that in the history of the world! All it does is puts the price of average players up by 3 or 4 million! The Mirror owns SportingLife too so it's absolute bollocks! Even a number of the more sensible Mags hate the Mirror with their constant "anti-safc" rubbish - they appear to be trying to get into Ashley's and Newcastle's pockets - much like the Kevin Nolan and loads of other rumours that were started by them

Gil T Azell and Brian Storm like this.
  5. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

Usual crap, some pundit on sky the other day said we needed to stick with playing JOS and Brown at the back?? They are all clueless.

I expect him to bring in 2 centre halfs in in the window.

6. Zlash

Zlash Well-Known Member

pundits don't even watch us play, you can tell from the rubbish they come out with when they do take the few seconds to talk about us.
    We need another centre half, plain and simple.

7. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

This

8. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

Mirroi twists anything to cast us in a bad way. They're a bunch of twats. mind you, it is amusing in a sad pathetic sort of way

Example -

Quote from the Chronicle

Big Sam said: “I read in the paper that I was selling him (Defoe) – that’s the trouble with the window, I’m selling everyone.

“Then I’m asking them to play, and they players wonder if I’m trying to sell them.

“The only player I’ve said I’m selling at the moment is Liam Bridcutt, the rest have to join the fight.”

Allardyce is expected to strengthen his squad in January, but admits he has not yet discussed potential signings with chairman Ellis Short.

“Who knows what we’re going to do down the line in January, I don’t know yet – I haven’t spoken to Ellis yet,” he said.

“I’m trying to get the maximum out of these players, because that’s much easier for me than going out in the transfer window in January.”

What the Mirror said:

Sam Allardyce praised Jermain Defoe after his priceless late winner against Crystal Palace – but admitted the Sunderland striker’s future depends on talks with owner Ellis Short.

Defoe took advantage of a howler from Palace defender Scott Dann to hit his fourth league goal of the season.

The 80th-minute strike that earned Sunderland’s first away clean sheet since May also lifted them to 18th place – within a point of North-East rivals Newcastle.

But Defoe could still be sacrificed in January to raise cash to strengthen the side if Big Sam is unable to squeeze enough funds out of Short.
    Allardyce said: “Who knows down the line in January what we are going to do. I don’t know yet. I haven’t spoken to Ellis.”

Brian Storm likes this.
  9. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

One swallow does not make a summer, but the positives were there for all to see last night, the defense needs a tweak or two, a couple of good signings there and maybe an attacking midfielder and I think we can do it. The January window is not the time for huge rebuilding anyway, and surely working with the squad available is the sensible way forward. Our options are starting to look much better now that Big Sam is starting to mould the team into a unit. We had as many chances as Palace last night it was a remarkable performance really, from a team that we were baffled by on its announcement.

10. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

To be fair, since Allardyce arrived we've conceded 2 goals in 4 games, if you discount Everton where both of our first choice centre backs were injured. It seems Big Sam is working his magic in that regard. I thought we needed a whole new back line but given our recent results I'm starting to think perhaps one top quality CB and an LB would see us through to summer...

Nostalgic and clockstander like this.

11. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I would go along with that, but we are in a real fight no mistake, but those green shoots are definitely begining to appear and hope springs eternal, I feel that Big Sam was an inspired choice under the circumstances. :emoticon-0148-yes:

12. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

We need a LB...we need a CB...we need a Striker

I cannot see Sam selling Defo ( as he scores goals and we need them to survive) but hey what do I know. Does he have to sell to buy? I do know Graham and perhaps a couple of others are for sale but I would have thought Big Sam has an agreement for cash he can spend in Jan

13. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

You can take this statement and hang your hat on it:

Sam Allardyce will want to strengthen his squad in every window, ever.

Bizarreknives and Jack TheLad like this.
  14. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

So the only player for sale is bridcutt. That squad place plus the one already available tells me Sam wants two in jan. Cb has got to be one. The 2nd could be any from a left back, another cb, a cm or an attacking mid, depending what Sam wants to do.

15. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

7 goals in 9 starts. How bad would that look selling him for a Wickham or Fletcher? Coz for the most part, that's all you're likely to get in January, and yes we got (the "ageing") Defoe in January, but usually there's not too much quality out there.

16. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

gotta be CB and LB, if just the two.

i suspect others will be shown the door though.

17. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

We don't need a striker, Defoe should be our No.1 and then we have Fletcher who has been ok, then Lens, Borini Watmore and Toi who can all also play up front, they are better than what we could get in Jan. I would just sell Danny Graham and Bridcutt then spend any money available on 2 quality centre backs.

18. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Marcos Alonso out of contract at the end of the season at fiorentina I believe.

Am I right in thinking Graham and Fletcher are both out of contract in the summer here?

Any other money I'd probably use to bring a striker in. Charlie Austin

19. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Not sure on the striker (although I rate Austin)? Alonso I'd have in a heartbeat - young, very good on and off the ball. Would also give PVA the ability to move up the field a la Gareth Bale. Not sure on others - our defence, when all are fit, are pretty good in the centre - but they won't all be fit all season - Kaboul and O'Shea are first names on the list but both have missed games due to injury this season.

Sam will already know what he needs and probably already have spoken to Ellis about it. Just remains to be seen what happens in January

20. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Alonso is clearly still a fan of Sunderland too, I reckon he would join us in a heartbeat if Sam fancies him that is.