1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January transfer thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Southern A, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Yep I agree, in that at times we, because of lack of physicality, have been bullied and knocked off our passing game.

A mixture of fast skillful players that can skip round lumbering opposition players. With others who can win physical battles on the ground and in the air.

Robertson likes this.
  2. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

we definitely need to stick to our structure hence the situation we're in now. Agreed

Southern A and TopCat_ like this.
  3. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

well I think that might be tough luck unless the likes of Everton are still willing to pay what they were willing to before his injury

TopCat_ likes this.
  4. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I was just thinking this morning that I don't hear much about our lack of physicality since our promotion, we're not getting kicked to bits like in League 1, but agree we still need a decent mix of bigger lads.
    However saying that the Millwall game saw us overcome a much bigger team by using those skills our nippy players have.
    Not forgetting we had some scares in and around our penalty area but thought we handled it really well.
    Think we would all like a more physical presence in midfield where I think we are a bit thin on the ground.
    It'll be another big test come Monday but unlike the last four seasons we have a squad who can give anybody a game.
    Haven't looked forward to each game for a long time as I do now.

5. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Absolutely! This culture where Agents and Players rule teh roost has to stop. He signed a contract that took him to 30th June 2024. He was happy to sign it at the time, so he should expect to honour it.

He may want PL football, but then again I want a threesome with Meghan and Kate......but that ain't going to happen (mainly 'cos they can't stand each other) :emoticon-0140-rofl:

6. Monkey69

Monkey69 Well-Known Member

Ha ha putting football and honouring contracts in the same post is a bit dangerous. Whilst i think a contract should be honoured the clubs also have some responsibilities as well to help players develop.
    Football is also a bit weird, I work as a freelancer in construction and if I accept a job offer from a client I will work diligently and to the best of my ability for them but if the situation changes and they don't like me or me them we just part ways and move on, in football they want to come to a deal to pay off their contract or have to come to an agreement with the club or down tools to get a move for more money etc. If somebody offers me double my money I would take it and move but people expect footballers to be different( probably because we think they don't need it) or that we think they have enough already. Don't know what LND earns but bet it is not much more than 3k a week which in most people a good amount but you must factor in that his career in football earning good money is probably about 10 to 12 years barring injury so if he gets offered say 20k a week he is going to snap thei hands off as would anyone out there. Basically job offers come and go but the principle of being happy and earning as much as you can stands for everyone even footballers

7. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

So by the same definition, were you fine with Rodwell refusing to leave and taking every penny given because we were happy to pay him it at the time? Would you be ok if a bid comes in for Dejaku but he'd rather be paid and sit in our reserves instead?

It has to be give and take. It's the most balanced system, even though it's not perfect.

8. TopCat_

Rodwell and Stewart are completely different scenarios, I find it baffling that you would even try and compare the two - Rodwell had a contract that the club were obliged to honour. They shuld have sacked him for refusing to play (if that was indeed the case). The club want to keep Stewart and can insist he honours his contract. The 2 scenarios are the exact opposite of one another

If Dajaku wants to stay and not pay, then that's entirely his choice and (again) a completely different scenario to Stewart

9. TopCat_

Don't disagree. Am just finding the idea that he might demand a move weird when he was happy to take the jump from Scottish pub league to join us. It's all conjecture of course, he might sign a new deal tomorrow

Monkey69 likes this.
  10. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Iirc, Harry Kane wanted to move to Man City, but the Spuds said he had a contract so tough siht.

If Stewart really does has a contract to the end of the 2023/24 season. Presumably we can tell him to do one.

John Wick and TopCat_ like this.

11. TopCat_

#DanielLevy

12. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

My point was more than even if all three of the below are true...
    • Everton want to sign Stewart
    • Stewart wants to sign for Everton
    • Sunderland are willing to sell Stewart to Everton due to his contract situation
    ... it doesn't mean it will happen for him in January.

Firstly, Everton might not want to pay us as much now he's been injured. That was even if they were hitting our asking price originally.

Secondly, Stewart and his agent may recognise that actually 6 months of goals in the Championship until May, will allow him to achieve a higher salary. If he scores consistently in the championship, he will have more than one option. And more than one option creates an auction, and he will be able to negotiate a higher wage.

Thirdly we may decide that we also want that auction. Sure, in 6 months he'll have 6 months less contract left. But if he scores loads of goals and becomes in demand, then that auction may also increase his value. At the moment the guy has played 7 games ever above League One level. By the summer he will hopefully have played 30+ above League One level.

All of that is based on risk and gamble, but so is everything.

It's definitely not as simple as him wanting PL football, Everton wanting him and us wanting to cash in. There's far more to it than that.

The fourth dynamic here is that we may decide to "cave" and break our salary bands for him. And if we start doing well and looking secure in our championship status, that might be enough for us to uplift our bands slightly.

It's all supposition and all guesswork. Nobody, and I mean nobody will know what's going to happen until it happens.

HoratioCarter, Young Ted, Daz and 6 others like this.
  13. TopCat_

Good post. Agree with that

Monkey69 likes this.
  14. Monkey69

Not sure he is demanding a move I think he is in negotiation for his contract but is being offered better elsewhere ? The club would be remiss to let his contract run down as that then influences price of the player so whilst he is not demanding a move by not signing a new contract the club needs protect itself by exploring alternatives and looking for the best deal for the club or increase his contract offer. I have seen no reports of him demanding to leave but the contract offers have been varying and it may be that at this present time the club are unwilling to break the structure until such time as revenues increase which I am sure they will

15. TopCat_

Let's be honest - if Everton are in for him, he will want to go there regardless of what we offer. Everyone - clubs, players and managers are seduced by the dollar signs of the PL

Daz and Monkey69 like this.
  16. Monkey69

He apparently had a gentleman's agreement with Levy and we all know how that worked out lol

Sunderpitt likes this.
  17. Monkey69

Very true

Daz likes this.
  18. TopCat_

No such thing. Not when the person you are agreeing with is anything but.....

Monkey69 likes this.
  19. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

20. Moanjam

Moanjam Well-Known Member