1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January transfer market.

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Who do we want? (realistic names only please)
    How many do we need?
    Do we actually look abroad?

Personally i think only a couple needed but who we can get....i know not!! I would say no more than 3 new players tho, don't wanna upset the balance and start causing conflict!!

2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Tony Mowbray and Marcus Stewart!!Both our major failings addressed!

Seriously though,I agree with you Spanish,two quality signings to push us over the line.

Spanish likes this.
  3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think you're right Spanish, this side doesn't require any major surgery or several new faces. It does require something.

A first choice centre-forward, who can press and has a better finishing record than Ladapo, is a definite for me. The other three signings would be mostly for the sake of competition and cover. I definitely feel Burns down the right flank needs a bit of competition. We could possibly benefit from more competition in the three centre-back roles. Donacien's is rightly nailed on. Wolfenden has generally impressed. Edmundson's drop in form is surprising, but I think he'd ultimately be a better option than Burgess. Keogh is past it, but I guess his leadership qualities helps us from behind the scenes and in training. Finally, we could possibly do with a central midfielder on a short term deal to cover for Ball's long term injury.

I can't think of names, although I trust Ashton, McKenna, and the recruitment committee to identify the right faces for those profiles. So in order of importance, I'd like to see:
    1. A new centre-forward
    2. Competition at right wing-back
    3. Another option at CB
    4. Cover in central midfield
    On the subject of the transfer market, are there any players you'd like to see go? Are there any first team regulars you'd be tempted to sell for a good profit?

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  4. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

If we got number 3 (new cb) that takes care of the central midfield cover. Others have mentioned it previously but Wolfie could definitely do a job there. I trust and believe that KMc has already identified his targets and hopefully, we can get the business done early. After Lincoln, next league game is Plymouth and that’s a massive 1 for us. If we can beat them, we will have split the games

Redruth likes this.
  5. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I think 3 signings would be good 1 CM probably as cover. Then I think the 2 other additions would have to be 2 who could walk into the side, a striker, who's a bit more explosive than Ladapo and a creative no 10

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  6. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Window opens soon, lets hope it's a really exciting period. They will have been eying up and negotiating for weeks now.

Top marksman will push us over the line.

My only other comment in these 2 excellent threads is I wonder why KM doesnt bring on Aluko much earlier, or start with him? A talented game-changer warming his bum for 70 mins, who gives most exquisite passes.

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I’d like to see us signing some young talent to develop and not necessarily go straight into the first team regularly.

I doubt we have the scouting network but overseas players doing well in smaller leagues and hungry to prove themselves in England is our best bet for signing goal scorers.

For first teamers for the remainder of the season perhaps we can raid a struggling Championship side for some talent. We need players already getting regular minutes at our level or higher and ready to go.

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Aluko starts today, hope he makes some magical moments as he's great to watch.

9. Spanish

Who was the last player we signed from abroad... It seems like years ago!!

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We used to have a first class network. Marcus Evans dismantled it! Some things will take more than a year or two to put right.

11. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Knudsen?

Spanish likes this.
  12. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

How about the Norwegian? School teacher we signed. Never actually played a game for us

13. Spanish

We need a Grant Holt type player and never thought i would ever say that!!

14. Southcoastoldgaffer

Well, I have an old gaffer (traditional sailing boats) network throughout Europe and notably Holland & France.

I can give it a go, say a miserly 10% commission on every overseas recruit!

Redruth likes this.
  15. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

I never took Halt for being a nautical cove !

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I’ve heard Dutch players can be particularly good signings to make.

17. Bigalreigned

If Talbot was worth two Dutchmen would we accept a similar deal for Morsy??

18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Would I swap Morsy for a certain pair of Dutchmen? Absolute no brainer! They’d wipe the floor with the rest of the side even at their current ages.

19. Bigalreigned

Of course they would!

I was really raising the question would we be prepared to sell one of our better players to gamble on getting in two new (possibly risky)players who could push us over the line?(When Muhren first appeared many questioned if he was robust enough to cope with the more physical side of the English game and Thijssen was an even lesser known player).

I remember when we sold Talbot to Arsenal questioning the wisdom,but it turned out to be SBR's best bit of business.Wasn't it a similar situation when we sold Dyer?

20. Southcoastoldgaffer

Very entertaining and food for thought today's posts. It wouldn't surprise me if the Club came up with a devilsh clever talented fresh player or two. Money is no object and they all accept the club, players and fans are primed for the next phase in our development and climb back up to the Prem. We have had bad luck with injured players coming in with history and astonishing bad luck with the L1 refs.

It is time Lady Luck turned and we are overdue for a big important win. I see Plymouth have a mid-week EFL trophy game before coming to Suffolk.

Like others, I am not too bothered about the Cup, while an FA Cup win would be a good boost, not if it results in more injuries and fatigue. Most of these damn virusus lurk on and on, however super fit you are.

Redruth likes this.