1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January - Stick or Twist?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Dec 9, 2018.

?

What should happen in January?

1. We don't need any signings, just promote some youth!

2. We could do with one or two to add a bit of competition

3. We need a handful, at the very least 3 or 4!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Forgot about that, but definitely agree we might poach him in the summer if Newcastle go down. Doubt we'd lose Toby mid-season anyhow so its a moot point. I think we were after Lascelles when he went to Newcastle so he's a long termer for us and I think would be a good addition, assuming that our first choice then if Toby left would be Vertonghen +1.

Declan Rice has been mentioned here and I had completely forgotten about him, I think he's on a free in the summer and that would be a great move for us and him if we can persuade him to come. He's flexible as well, can play CB IIRC. I think he's good enough to even throw a little cash at West Ham just to get him early, as he really would fill an important hole for us IMO.

De Jong at Ajax gets mentioned a lot but his midfield compatriot Van Der Beek is also a very good player who would fill our need for a deeper player who is creative but also puts himself about effectively, to play alongside Dier or A. N. Other. I think I've read before that we were interested in I'm but can't quite remember if it was him.

Morgan Schneiderin qualifies as home grown, PNP? I had no idea. Could be worth a pop though he's the wrong age at 29 and Everton might want a bit of cash for him given he has a couple of years left on his contract. He never really looked comfortable after leaving Southampton but like PNP says he has performed for Poch before so maybe he's the man to give him a new lease of life.

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Interesting shout, we wanted him before we wanted Wanyama IIRC. His form at Utd and Everton has left a lot to be desired but as mentioned, he played his best football under Poch and baring in mind he can't get a look-in at Everton, he'd more than favour a move to us, especially when we're somewhat desperate for someone like him to help give Dier a rest.

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Ha, yeah, the SCITK board at the time were going into overdrive about us getting Lascelles from Forest, then he signed for Newcastle and it was "he was only a minor option anyway!".

Yeah Rice would be a good signing, even moreso that it'd piss the Hammers off at the same time. He's like a young, raw Dier, which bodes well seeing as we want someone to compete with Dier himself.

De Jong is the one I really want in terms of "dream signings", I've said it before but he really is like a young Modric. Van de Beek was indeed briefly linked with us a month or so back, another good player, I'd say he's more attack minded than Frenkie though in that he gets into van der Vaart-like positions, whilst Frenkie prefers dictating the play from a deeper position but will push up at opportune moments. Frenkie (Modric) and Donny (Rafa)... We can dream!

The Huddlefro likes this.
  4. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

I don't understand why Toby would want to move to Man Utd, as this is not a move to a better team winning titles and Cups. I'm not sure Man Utd would be willing to pay his salary demands given their ridiculous salaries already being paid out which cannot be sustainable.

If Spurs beat Barcelona, I would be willing to bet that he stays at Spurs in the January window. Surely he would want a taste of playing in the new stadium?

As for the January transfer window, I would like to see a defensive midfielder and get rid of a few like Wanyama and Dembele although I appreciate it will be difficult getting rid if they have injuries.

5. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

You aren't seriously considering, Lascelles?

Newcastle supporters are bemoaning his performances saying that he has gone back over this season.

6. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

We should sign some players in January with the aim of them being up and running for next season's title push with a full season actually at home

Dier Hard likes this.
  7. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you guys also didn't rate Sissoko, one of the best in the Prem now under Poch.

8. deedub93

Didn't you mean retain the title Spurm?

The Huddlefro likes this.
  9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Saffy's a Mackem.

10. deedub93

Send my condolences.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.

11. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I haven't seen too much of him this season, but I doubt he's a serious option.
    Newcastle wouldn't want to sell him, he's recently signed a long contract (IIRC) and he's unlikely to want to join a club where he wouldn't be first choice.
    We're very short of homegrown players though, so some unexpected choices have to be made somewhere.

12. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I wish i did. Despite our position right now i just don't think we have what it takes to beat the other 2 this season.

13. Saf

Sissoko isn't one of the best in the premier, at all.

14. Saf

Oi you cheeky git :mad:

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

We’re in need of some HG players at the moment, Saffy.

Lascelles wouldn’t be top of my list but he seems a half decent CB that may be able to do a job. We’re not sure what the situation with Toby is either, he seems relatively happy at the club but also seemingly reluctant to commit so I think right now we have to plan for his departure. Lascelles coming in to provide backup to Vertonghen and Sanchez wouldn’t be so bad, though this is more a summer deal than one that’d happen in January.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Saf likes this.
  16. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Aren't you a Sunderland fan, Saffy?

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Saf just probably don’t like admitting it in public <laugh>

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  18. Saf

Yeah but I'm a Geordie, not a smelly Mackem.

19. deedub93

You clearly havent watched him much this season have you?

20. Saf

No, I haven't, but he's only got 1 assist and 0 goals. In fact, in 2 and a half seasons he's got 4 assists and 1 goal.

If he was one of the best in the prem the media would be all over him.