1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January Shopping List

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Dangerous Marsupial, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Dangerous Marsupial

Dangerous Marsupial Well-Known Member

The last time I posted a thread was on the first of September right after the transfer window closed when I was really unsatisfied by our business from the summer and other then egg on my face from saying Brady (our player of the season?) is [was] a massive waste of money, I stand by everything I said at the time.

I was deeply unsatisfied with our defence, having felt we should have signed at least one, maybe two new CBs to improve our team and a new RB because I felt Whittaker was hopeless and that if Wisdom couldn't displace him from the team than it is hardly an endorsement of his ability either. The fact we have kept just two clean sheets in half the season (against Swansea and Villa) has done nothing to change my mind and most of the goals we have conceded have not been unstoppable wonder goals but set-pieces, crosses and counter-attacks (I don't recall seeing a team as weak at defending as counter-attacks we are). The defence should be our number 1 priority this window. I know that quality players aren't easy to come by, but they don't need to be that great to improve our defence.

The other area I couldn't believe we didn't strengthen was out wide, where we have only three options, one of whom we want to play as LB, so maybe only 2. Jonny Howson is a grafter, but as a full back, you would much rather play against him then a pacy winger. The fact we are playing Howson on the right is surely a glaring sign we need more option on wide?!? Having pacy, direct wingers allows a team to have a threat on the counter-attack even when they aren't playing well, and playing a central midfielder out wide just isn't a viable long-term option.

I don't know what is happening with Ruddy, but Rudd knows what he is doing so as long as there someone competent on the bench I am not worried about our GK options. The same goes for central midfield options because we have plenty.

I think our strikers are about good enough for the time being although next summer we should be looking to improve here as well. Mbokani has done a good job thus far although I can't figure why he hasn't started more games. Jerome's finishing isn't the best but we could definitely stay up with him leading the line. I don't think Grabban has a future here for much longer and clearly Lafferty needs to be moved on for his own good. I can't see why we haven't given Lafferty a chance or why he hasn't complained about his poor treatment but it hurts me to see him wasting his career like this. So maybe we could use another striker just to make up the numbers but the defence has to be the priority.

All in all, we are reasonably placed to stay up this season although the quality of our recent performances has been a worry for me. We spent almost nothing in the last window and from all I've heard about the money in the PL and that we are "run as a co-operative with every spare penny going to the first team budget" we surely have a hefty warchest available for AN? We have a great chance of staying up and I'd hate to see us waste it so I really hope we try and get in some good defenders and maybe a quality winger.

2. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

I'd generally agree DM although I'm not sure you're right about out wide, I'd say we improved that more than any other position. We brought in two out and out wingers and got rid of Johnson who had been moved wide because he was left footed and could be trusted in the middle. We've also just signed Jarvis permanently so I think we're done in that area for the moment.

carrowcanario likes this.
  3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Plus we have the Murphy twins playing very well out on loan!

4. marknemo

marknemo Active Member

My opinions are similar but maybe not quite so full on. I also believe we need to improve on our midfielders - we thought Mulumbu would be an improvement but that doesn't look the case then you can pick between Howson, Dorrans, Tettey O'neil ect. They all have specific parts of their games which are better than the next but we my belief is that the centre of your midfield runs games. Not only will there be less pressure on your defense with better midfielders but it should also allow us to create better more clear chances.

All the above being said I agree we need a good centre half to come in and at least challenge Bennett and Bassong along with a improved RB. I agree that we probably aren't going to get anything better upfront without taking a risk on either a Championship striker (Afobe) or a foreign striker. I am not sure either of those risks are needed but if I had to chose I'd like Afobe as he should retain some value given his age and record in the Championship.

5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

CB- We're short of players in this position anyway, and we also lack quality. A commanding centre back would be a great addition.

That pushes Martin down the pecking order at CB, and Whittaker further down at RB, so I'd be reasonably content if that was our only defensive recruit. A RB might be nice, but I'm reasonably happy with Martin there.

Attacking midfielder/striker - we've a lot of deadwood up front, I'd happily see three from Hooper, Grabban, Lafferty and RvW leave, and Loza's career appears to have stalled so he needs a loan. In their place, someone who provides a different option up front like Grabban currently does, but can also play in the Wes role. Naismith might be a solution, but he seems frequently to be played in a wider position, so perhaps not a direct replacement. [To digress, Howson in a CAM role flanked by Naismith and Redmond could be interesting]. I'd also like someone young and creative to learn from Wes whilst he's still at his peak. I'm happy for this to be a longer term prospect, but that probably means using two squad spots on midfielders.

On the topic of wide players, I'm happy with our current options. I see Howson playing wide not as a square peg in a round hole, but Neil using his wide men for different purposes. Redmond is to attack the fullback, Howson defends better and helps us keep possession, to work openings more patiently. I can see the argument that two dangerous widemen stretch the defence more and create openings for each other, but that might upset the balance in other areas.

6. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

To add to this, O'Neil is 32, Wes 33 and Tettey has knee troubles. We seem quite reliant on all 3 at the moment, and whilst we've seen little of Mulumbu and Vadis who could rotate with the first two, another option wouldn't go amiss.

7. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Already got Jarvis, and apparently Naismith. If we get that pacy Right-back, and somehow manage to sign Ranocchia, without other top clubs in Europe getting involved. Then really it's just moving Grabban on, maybe loaning out Lafferty if he's not going to be played. Then bringing in an Afobe or a Gayle.

I'd be pretty happy with that as a window.

8. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

At this rate, it feels like we'll be done with the window by the time Southampton rock up at Carrow Road!

JM Fan likes this.
  9. Forgot_My_Lines

AN said that he made it clear he wants the targets in ASAP.

10. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when it happens, which I doubt .... Oh and £8M is way too much for a 30 year old nearly man ......

We're doomed !

11. Forgot_My_Lines

:emoticon-0137-clapp Someone had to say it!

...Well, you did! <doh>

12. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I just knew you would be the first to take the bait <laugh>

13. Forgot_My_Lines

It made me laugh! :emoticon-0105-wink:

14. Russ Martin 2

Russ Martin 2 Active Member

Well it does seem a rather large fee considering Naismith isn't exactly known for banging in 20 a season but I'm just glad the board is backing AN.

15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm going to save that quote and send it to you on May 15th (or if we're lucky, even earlier!!!!) <laugh>

Forgot_My_Lines and KIO like this.
  16. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

You get Naismith, who I think is a quality player and we get, Townsend <doh>

It's bollox like that, which is contributing as to why we will be relegated this season...

17. Forgot_My_Lines

Andros? I really like him. I think he would do well for Sunderland. For the relegation struggle, I think I would rather the hard work and gritt of Naismith, but they are very different players. Townsend can create something from nothing.