1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January 22nd 2019

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Delsy, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Vale at Home.......If anyone is interested !

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Nope. Not me. Its good that we are on a good run and it looks on paper that we have a great chance to progress to the semi final but I am so against the B teams being allowed in that I refuse to watch these games. Imagine we get to the final against Pompey, whose fans are so against this competition, at Wembley, with the size of both fan bases, Wembley could be sold out, I doubt there would be 10k in attendance. The EFL need to know that the majority of the fans of L1 and L2 clubs are against the B teams.

3. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

It is getting interesting now, and if Sunderland dispatch Man City's Under 21s, then the competition comes down to EFL sides and a possible trip to Wembley. Imagine a final at Wembley v Sunderland or Portsmouth. We could fill Wembley and it would be a great day out. Keeping the run in the League going is important too, but I think we should get behind the lads now in this competition as they build this winning mentality. It's all good stuff.

4. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Whilst I don't agree with the way the competition is set up, I didn't really expect us to still be featuring in it to be honest. From what I can see, the only real benefit for teams like us is the extra revenue it generates (about 100k so far I believe). It could be argued that in our case, its given the team a much needed confidence boost and an incentive to keep our turnaround in form going a bit longer. Now that we are potentially only 2 games from a Wembley final, it poses a tricky question for many: do we continue our boycott of the competition as a means of objecting to the EFL's handling of the format, or do we seize the opportunity to see Rovers play at Wembley which lets be honest. isn't a regular occurrence and may not happen again for decades. Personally I wouldn't blame anyone for picking either option, we must do what we feel is right. I can't see the EFL taking a blind bit of notice whatever we end up doing, I feel they are dismissive of the fans from the lower league clubs and wont be swayed by our feelings or actions/protests etc. From my own point of view, if Rovers get to Wembley, I will go to support them, regardless of who they play. If for no other reason, it may be the last chance I get to see them there, I know of many supporters who followed the Gas all their lives and never had the opportunity to see them at Wembley, its a relatively recent thing for small clubs to get the chance, and I wouldn't feel comfortable letting the opportunity pass me by. Hard to imagine what its like for fans of Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc who seem to be there year in, year out. Miss one of their appearances, you could always catch the next one next season, so not really a big thing.

5. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

What would be a shame in my mind is that if the Rovers did manage to reach this years final and they were up against either Sunderland or Pompey then the potential is there for a record breaking attendance , whereas if both sides do continue with their disinterest then sadly it would most probably be an opportunity lost to boost the profile of this competition.
    After all, if one of the U21 sides were to go all the way how many fans from those clubs would make the effort to head up to HA9 ?

6. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

I wonder how the draw will go on Friday ?! { Jim White Show, 12.45 } Two northern sides and two southern.

Looking at who are now left I suppose the sponsors would wish for a Sunderland v Pompey final so it may be that the Rovers will end up with Pompey in the Semi, we shall wait with heart pumping anticipation :emoticon-0147-emo:

7. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Rovers at home to Sunderland in the Checktrade trophy

8. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Generating some welcome funds I suppose ( although whatever happens to those funds is anyone’s guess ) but an unwanted sideshow I feel in our current predicament.

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Sunderland game live on sky. That should decrease the attendance further. Also they are apparently interested in signing Matty Taylor so he could be at the Mem again soon... maybe.

10. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

I might go just so I can boo that ****. Never had there been a worse snake than him

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I dont think he ended up signing for them in the end. Save your money and watch it on sky ;)

12. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

I don’t have sky sports, the misses won’t let me <wah>

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Probably be on ifollow for £10 <ok>

14. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Pompey in the Final then after their 3 - 0 win at Gigg Lane last night, watched incidently by less than 4000 ' fans' ! I don't know now how many will show up for our game against Sunderland as I think it too is going to be shown on Sky so not many with a bit of luck.

A Sunderland Pompey final might put some bums on seats though and I guess the organisers will be plumping for that outcome and let's be honest after last Saturdays game it would be hard to see any other.

15. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Sunderland supporters I spoke to on Saturday would be very happy if we were to win as they are not interested in the competition either and were not going to Wembley if they beat us

16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Its fixed anyway. Competition paying good money for each round, they will want to recoup that and some for the final as they will be hoping a lot will turn up for a Sunderland vs Portsmouth final. It was made sure they avoided each other in the semi's. The ref will make sure we will lose as no doubt he will be very poor but as we are at home, the ref may not be needed to win it for them as we will be crap anyway.

17. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

We’re always crap when we are on the telly and it is going to look proper crap now that we are playing at the ‘ GO Outdoors’ arena !

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.