1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours January '22 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jan 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I agree with the last part of that.

I say Bernard is the most celebrated of the three because he's the only one whose name is ever sung (that alone is sad in my opinion, when Greaves is a local lad performing well every week) and also because for a while he was heavily featured in every MOTM vote despite not really playing that well. There's something about him that really excites people it seems, but I think we've got better.

2. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

Probably that he's on loan from United, and people tend to like the idea of signing loan players on permanents if they've done well, which I think he's done well enough to allow for.

3. Stockholm Tiger

Stockholm Tiger Well-Known Member

I'll believe these mega signings when they're stood on the pitch holding up a shirt. Until then I think I'm switching twitter off. It is just getting silly now.

Ron Burguvdy likes this.
  4. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

You can hardly call McLaughlin a prospect at 25
    He’s nowhere near as good as greaves or ever will be
    He’s playing in a free role
    Hes a good passer of the ball but frighteningly slow
    As plt says Bernard makes horrendous mistakes
    Whether he’ll learn who knows
    Got great physical attributes but can be become a player?

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
  5. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

Bernard was playing games in League Two last season and was in and out of the team. Believe he was playing right back at times for them. As a first season stepping up to the Championship I don't think you can fault his effort, considering he's played almost every game of the season for us. Being settled and having a senior CB to learn off, he would undoubtedly improve further.

6. Hornsea_HCAFC

Hornsea_HCAFC Well-Known Member

I think it's simply a case of us lazily copying Man U's 'Di'Shon Bernard Baby' chant for him rather than us having to make one up of our own for Greaves or Mclaughlin.

We're not the best at that - James Chester never had a song

dennisboothstash and PLT like this.
  7. MingofHarlem78

MingofHarlem78 Active Member

Deleted - posted on wrong thread.

MoH

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  8. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

What about that Acun had a dream song? Greavsie at the back, Keano in attack, ...

9. Shark Sports

Shark Sports Well-Known Member

Syd described him as one of our better players when he's really not. I just don't understand his folk status within our fans. Players like Smallwood get hammered when he has a mediocre game despite stepping up to this level really well and having a good season. Yes, we all know his limitations etc etc.

For Forest's winning goal I saw almost everybody (mainly twitter) slating Elder for not getting closer (which he should've) but nobody mentioned Bernard's shambolic misjudge which actually cost the goal and points. Likewise, after his horror show at Reading, and it was a horror show, he didn't get viciously slaughtered. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If he's the worst of 3 inexperienced CBs, which he is, then surely he's the one you let go to progress. We probably need a couple of experienced CBs over the next 2 windows to get where we want to be. We've got Alfie coming back too who I'd imagine would take his place immediately as he did earlier in the season(and then got injured again).

If Bernard is your only young CB it's a different story but he's not and the others have a higher ceiling.

If we tighten up at the back, we'll stay up regardless of whether we bring a striker in. That's why even if we only spend money on 1 player this window I hope it's a quality CB we can build our team around. I think we can bring attackers in on loan

PLT likes this.
  10. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Why do you want to see a Hull City player "viciously slaughtered"? That's properly odd.

SydneyTiger14 likes this.

11. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Wigan Athletic are now in for Regan Slater (Sheffield Star)

No contact from us apparently.

12. kingstontiger

kingstontiger Well-Known Member

I'd like to think the reason Bernard didn't get 'viciously slaughtered' is that , like Greaves, he's a young defender who is making the occasional mistake but by and large doing well! I reckon they will both be premier league defenders in years to come.

SydneyTiger14 and askewshair like this.
  13. Shark Sports

I don't want any of them to be slaughtered. I don't agree with the treatment of Wilks/Smallwood etc. But you can't hammer one player with criticism but completely ignore another

PLT likes this.
  14. Shark Sports

That would be true but Greaves receives a lot of criticism and he's a local lad too.

PLT likes this.
  15. Evington

Evington Well-Known Member

I don't think Greaves will be premier league. Mind you, Norwich have Gibson playing so you never know.

16. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

I don't hammer any player, and certainly don't partake in player slaughter of any kind. Bernard is a young player in a modestly equipped squad that has probably overperformed significantly in the last couple of months. To expect any of our squad to be error-free is a big ask.

But you're right, his attempt at defending for Forest's second goal was appalling. I think said as much on here (or maybe it was Twitter).

17. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

The way some City fans/football rumour sites are going on across various social media you'd think we've been taken over by the richest man in the world......whatever we do in the transfer market this January, I can only hope that it's done with common sense and an eye on our wage bill in mind, for me there is no point signing another 4, 5 or 6 players if we can't shift similar off our wage bill, that's the kind of stupid irresponsible approach that lands you in Derby/Reading/Blackburn (initial Venky period) territory. We've got a squad at the moment that is more than capable of staying up, we're too far behind the top 6 to realistically catch up and go up this season, so for me 2/3 additions is all we should be looking at, a striker, cover at wing back on the left and a centre back, continue to build a solid foundation and then look at more of an overhaul/improvements in the summer when we'll be more likely to shift some of the current squad on.

18. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Shark mentioned Elder there. He's another one who I always think gets way too much stick. I think he's been a solid performer for us in almost every game since he signed, and one of our best players since dropping down to League 1, his recent injury-related spell out of the team aside. But people love to blame goals on him even though he's very rarely at fault.

19. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

Most of them get far too much stick.....you know what, if we'd been playing how we have since Barnsley away from the start of the season I reckon we'd be just outside the top 6, stick a decent striker in this current team and I honestly think we'd have had an outside chance at promotion, all 3 of our current centre backs are getting a bit of stick on here.....madness, all 3 of them have made mistakes, like everyone does, but the 3 of them are decent championship players, same with our midfield 3.....Smallwood gets some right hammer on here, but since the change in formation he's been great for me, no he's not the most mobile but he protects that back 3 does the dirty work and moves the ball around well, at wing back, since the change in formation Longman and KLP have looked great, it's really improved their game, I think Elder looks a bit lost at wing back and actually think he's more of a back up for Greaves as left sided wide centre back (same with Coyle as Bernard back up on the right side of the 3).....up top, well, yeah we all know we're not great, but we're working with free transfers and 50k signings, and we rightly need to add a good finisher to the books.

20. Shark Sports

I think that's pretty much spot on!

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.