1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours January 2021 Transfer Rumours

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Dec 6, 2020.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

You say that Laces, but I was at the Sheffield United game last season when, on one of the many times he was wildly out of his wingback position, he scored the winner :)

#overpositivethinking

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Sorry for taking the pee out of crook :(

Pelletron likes this.
  3. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

This transfer window has been a complete let down. I`ve been watching TV all evening, and not one shot of a reporter outside a darkened St Mary`s with some pimply youths waving an inflatable penis in the background, shouting expletives. How I yearn for the good old days. I blame Mike Dean, the ***ker.

davecg69, ChilcoSaint and 9043graham like this.
  4. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Lets be real here. Those are absolute last resorts and not suitable back ups. And if either KWP or Bertrand are out for any length of time, or even worse both at the same time, then we are severly handicapped. We clearly tried to get a full back in and failed so they know it's a problem area. I would personally want Vokins/Valery to play if Bertrand/KWP are out rather than playng players out of position and disrupting the team elsewhere (i.e losing JWPs influence from the middle for example). However Ralph clearly doesn't, so you could argue whether we are in a weaker position or not letting them go out. I think its a big risk, but got to trust Ralph on it I guess and hope our horrid luck with injuries doesn't last.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  5. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

If you look at our recent games, the performances haven't been bad. We're definitely tired, and we definitely run around more than other teams, so there's that. Plus we're depleted, particularly in defence. But we have completely managed games, but have been unable to score as we were - a lot if which must be put own to Ings being in and out with injury. So we are not getting turned over, for one, even with a makeshift defence.

We have improved our frontline - no questions - if we gain Minamino and either keep or lose Long. What is he - mid-20s? That is unarguably a net gain in the final third, however you look at it. People questioned Walcott's loan signing too, and he's been a positive - and this loan today on paper makes way more sense than even that one imo.

No one knows how he'll fit in, but I'm positive. Champions League pedigree, young, attack-minded, and in a way less pressurised environment than trying to fit into that Liverpool front three in the 20 minus he's usually granted. Yes, the defence will need some plugging, but if we can nick a few goals through him, I'm confident we'll end up in Europe this season. In Ralph I trust!

Surrey_Saint likes this.
  6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

He just needs six games...

davecg69, fatletiss, steve79 and 5 others like this.
  7. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

People did indeed question Theo. And wrongly so, as you allude to.

But what you're saying about Minamino, people also said about Ely. Born just a few months apart. And that essentially turned out wrong too.

For me, I was opened minded about Theo. And am again here with Minamino.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Letting Valery go would be madness imo.

Going into a window desperate for a full back and then letting two go while bringing none in would be peak Saints.

9. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Is it possible that our current run of soft tissue injuries were behind teams not wanting to release players to us (if that has been the case)?
    Our own players, who are conditioned to the hard slog of our pressing game, are suffering and going down with muscle injuries, so maybe teams didn’t want to see us break one of their fringe players.

10. Pelletron

Exactly - who knows? But we all trust Ralph. It's not like we were going to get Salah loaned to us - it's no crime to struggle to fit in that front three immediately. Not even Rickie could crack the Liverpool forward ranks! <cool>

Cowtownred likes this.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Extremely unlikely I'd say. Everyone's had an increase of those types in injuries this season.

12. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

But Stephens and Diallo can cover, weakening us in 2 positions and not just one.

13. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

I'm pleasantly surprise Badger, Dave etc haven't blamed Boris for soft tissue injuries this season or that they haven't tried to fix the problem. Government ****s.

14. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Redknapp on Sky just now talking about West Ham - `the two Czechoslovakian boys have been outstanding`. Not so hot on geography and history then `Arry ?

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  15. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Blackmore says Valery likely to go to Birmingham on loan.

16. Pelletron

And I was at Brighton when he scored his debut goal. He'd come on for Valery, who was playing at RB, and Djnepo scored his goal from deep on the left flank after about two minutes on the pitch! That is commitment to not being harnessed by a position!

fatletiss likes this.
  17. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Utter madness.

18. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

Shows how much Ralph doesn't rate either Vokins or Valery...

19. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

Had to really think about what you meant with that answer ....... got it in the end <laugh>

davecg69 and fatletiss like this.
  20. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I personally agree. But Ralph would basically rather play any senior player from any position there rather than Valery so although on paper it weakens us, he probably wouldn't get played unless we have no players left anyway. I was more surprised Vokins went out after doing fine in the games he has played for us recently. But ultimately Ralph doesn't trust either of them (yet). So if he will play players out of position to cover fullback anyway, then I guess they might aswell go out on loan.