1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours January 2021 Transfer Rumours

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Well, no ...

Did Schneiderlin play in our academy? Or Diallo? Did Rooney play in Utds academy? No. All signed for the first team.

I agree that the nucleus of an avademy is about scouting players u16 and developing them for a long time, but it is more than that sometimes.

Surely a player who has played a couple of years in an academy, is an academy graduate? It doesn't matter if they were signed with a pro contract in mind, aged 16/17 - the fact they were nurtured, developed and essentially finished off is enough to make them an academy product in my book.

2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rooney went straight into United's first team so not sure why you brought him up.

3. Saints Fan4Life

I didnt. FLT did.

4. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh yeah my bad.

5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Ok, here’s my “thing” about it. We should stop making a thing about players we have signed from other clubs to make out how good it is to have “home developed” players. It’s no better than Liverpool coming along and signing our best players.

I have always believed that no player should be able to be signed from another club until they have finished the traditional “apprenticeship” ages, which is 16 to 18, without much bigger financial reward than is currently available to the original club.

Saintharry13, Kaito and davecg69 like this.
  6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Not for me, if we’ve poached them from another club.

7. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely no way do I consider Stephens as a product of our academy. It's not just that we paid Plymouth to buy him, it's that he had already played first team football for them. If I was a Plymouth fan, I'd be quite offended to hear Saints trying to claim him as one of their own.

Kaito, davecg69, ChilcoSaint and 3 others like this.
  8. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I am quite staggered by the newspapers reporting so much transfer activity, especially from abroad. With all the flight restrictions, I would be curious to see how this can happen.

It has been interesting to see Ralph give the academy players a shot even if it is something that has ben forced by the injury crisis. What intrigues me is that that last time this was done in such fashion was under Claude Puel. It is a bit ironic to think that the likes of McQueen and Simms were being touted as serious prospects on this board but they never quite reached our expectations. Whilst we have had success historically with academy players, I think it is fair to say that there are plenty who never really fulfilled their potential for us. You wonder if this might now happen to younger platers like Valery and Obafemi who looked superb 12-18 months ago yet now look only likely to get a look in if academy players get injured when playing for the first time. I am surprised these two have not pushed on but I felt the same about McQueen. Simms always struck me as being too small even if he is quite nippy. A decent championship player, I think.

9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely.

10. Saints Fan4Life

Each to their own ... I know the club & Stephens see him as an academy graduate, but all about opinions I guess.

11. Saints Fan4Life

Anyway, getting back to actual transfer rumours (who?) .. our favourite YouTube star could be on the move again.

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

As Fats says, a player who signs a professional contract with a club at 17 years old, whether they have come through the Academy or not, is a player who the club are looking to see as a first team player. In Jack’s case, he was in the first team squad almost immediately, after we were promoted back to the PL. Rather than hang around between first team chances in the U23’s he spent several seasons out on loan, so it’s hard to argue that much of his final development happened in Southampton at all.

13. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As long as the fee is no less than what Fulham might be forced to pay us, this would be a great outcome. Firstly, it would guarantee his sale (which we don't yet have with Fulham). Secondly, it would assist in getting the cash in quicker.

14. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

15. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

**** that, Nathan Tella, academy graduate or player we poached from Arsenal?

16. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Villa have spent approaching £250m in the last two seasons, their owners (Chinese) must have got their money out of the country before they clamped down on foreign investment

17. saintrichie123

Brandon Williams not even in Utd squad today......surly going out on loan somewhere ( maybe us) so he’s not cup tied.

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  18. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think we will get Williams. Mainly because Utd want him back and we are looking for a loan with a view to buy.

Actually I’m just watching the Utd game. Of all the players we lost I can’t help feeling disappointed we didn’t keep hold of Luke Shaw (or get him back when he was out in the cold at Old Trafford) - he’s looking brilliant today.

19. saintrichie123

Seems since he has sorted out his lifestyle (settled and has become a dad) his game has improved no end ........and yes playing well today as well.

20. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

We sold him for £31m + 4. No way were we ever going to refuse that sort of money