1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours January 2018 Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Two in, and two out already !!............

Wolves duo Connor Ronan and Sylvain Deslandes join on loan.

please log in to view this image

Connor Ronan and Sylvain Deslandes both have first team experience at Wolves.

Wolves players Connor Ronan and Sylvain Deslandes have agreed loan moves to Portsmouth until the end of the season.

Attacking midfielder Ronan, 19, has played seven times for Championship leaders Wolves this season - making three substitute appearances in the league and playing four times in the Carabao Cup.

French defender Deslandes, 20, can play either full-back or centre-back.

He has played eight senior games for Wolves and previously been on loan at Bury in League One.

Both players will link up again with Portsmouth boss Kenny Jackett, who managed Wolves between 2013 and 2016.

Curtis Main departs Pompey.

Portsmouth Football Club can announce that Curtis Main has left the club by mutual consent.

The 25-year-old striker has now signed for Scottish Premiership outfit Motherwell.

He netted six goals in 23 appearances after arriving at Fratton Park from Doncaster in the summer of 2016.

Blues boss Kenny Jackett said: “We all felt that it was best for his future to take this great opportunity to join Motherwell.

Meanwhile, left back Damien McCrory has returned to Burton following his injury-hit loan spell with the Blues.

2. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth offer 'small fee' for Oldham Athletic striker Craig Davies.

"It's fair to say Craig Davies' time in North Lincolnshire wasn't a success, but his form at Oldham has led to interest from one of League One's in-form teams, Portsmouth.

Alan Nixon, a journalist for the Sun revealed Pompey's interest this morning, when he tweeted:

"Portsmouth. Want to do a deal for Craig Davies at Oldham. Offering small fee and better wages. May happen."

Davies has 10 goals in all competitions - including a goal against the Iron - so far this season.

The forward failed to find the net on 21 appearances in all comps last year, as he struggled to make any impact with Scunthorpe.

It was reported during the summer that the Iron had surprisingly offered the 31-year-old a contract, but he opted to make the move to Oldham.

Should the move to Pompey come to fruition, he may be set to make his league debut against the Iron on January 13".

At 6' 2" in height and a former Welsh international striker, he could be a decent signing for us, a vastly improved alternative to the departed Curtis Main.

3. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

Not bad captures according to Wolves fans - possibly a bit of experience would help so the Davies one might also be a result.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

National League side Aldershot Town have signed Portsmouth striker Nicke Kabamba on loan until the end of the season.

The 24-year-old has not scored in six appearances for Pompey since moving to Fratton Park in January 2017.

He had a spell on loan at Colchester earlier this season, featuring 10 times without finding the net.

Kabamba scored 40 goals in 80 games for Hampton & Richmond Borough before his switch to Portsmouth.

The former car salesman is eligible to make his debut for the Shots against Dover Athletic on Saturday.

5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

He came on as a 60th minute substitute, and scored the winning goal 7 minutes later. Dream start !!

6. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Don't like this rumour at all - unless they are going to pay us £1 million + for him.....

7. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

I am not sure loan players are the way to go. I suspect they come with implied promises of first team opportunities which gives them a possible selection edge over players on the staff whereas logic suggests we are better off investing in our own players experience.
    The big question is do they come with any likelihood of a permanent move? We initially had Clarke on loan and that turned out well (also Smith - not such a good result). To some extent the better they play the more likely their parent club is to want their return.
    On balance I feel we have too many loan players. if we get promoted (unlikely) they may not be there the following season to help sustain us at the higher level. In the more likely event of not getting promoted playing them this year does not invest in our future (since I feel our present squad is quite adequate to prevent relegation).
    Woops, you are probably relieved to see the Jackett make a clear statement in the News that he was not interested in offers for Pitman - and there had been none.

I agree his record todate has been such that to let him go would be madness.

However, in a separate article Jackett has said that he feels Hawkins needs more pace around him in attack. My knowledge of these players is limited to reading reports and seeing extended highlights on ifollow. Nearly all the Pompey forwards appear to me to have reasonable pace.- Kennedy, Chaplin, Lowe, and Bennet, and to a lesser extent Evans and Naismith.

Pitman appears to position himself well around the box and get a high percentage of opportunities on target. He also has some deft touches. But on the downside he appears to lack pace and does not appear to inject much energy. This may be unfair since he may do a lot of off ball running which is not apparent from television viewing.

So to me the selection of the Pitman - Hawkins duo is not consistent with the desire for pace around Hawkins that Jackett advocates and I tend to agree that the attack cannot bear two non-pacey players. While I have admired Hawkins headed goals of late I feel Pitman, because of his scoring record, is the player I would give preference to retaining. I would like to see the Pitman Naismith combination resumed when Naismith is fit. I thought it the most promising upfront pairing we had had this season.

Goal scorers inevitably have dry patches. Chaplin and Lowe have both shown that they can be good in front of goal in the past and I would expect their 'goal touch' to return at some stage which might make us less "Pitman dependent." I feel Chaplin has been harshly judged. Reports imply that if he does not score he has had a bad game. I think there is more to his game than that.

On a separate note, I think Pitman's consistent demonstrative expressions of frustration when attacks break down are anything but positive captaincy.

8. EastneyPFC

PDU - very astute reasoning all round - Chaplin is a good little player and works hard off the ball - his goal touch will return and a part almost wonders if he and Pitman should both be behind Hawkins in a kind of Xmas tree formation. Pitman is not the quickest and he does look often worn out on 70 odd mins but then suddenly does something reall classy...a tough ne for any manager. I know what you mean about loan's - they are both a blessing and a curse - try before you buy but also lose if they suddenly show their value. We suffered that a bit with Diacouraga (excuse spelling) who was great on loan went straight back to Brentford who sold him for good money to Leeds.

9. EastneyPFC

More worried about losing Clarke tbh.....that would have to be upwards of 5M in my book with sell on.

10. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Who got the better deal when Webster went to Ipswich and Clarke joined PFC?

3rd eye and Wooperts_duck like this.

11. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Definitely Pompey ! Adam Webster has suffered a few injuries since joining Ipswich for £750,000. Matt Clarke who didn't cost Pompey a 'brass razoo', has improved considerably, and is a very solid and dependable central defender. It's no wonder that our former part-time coach Stuart Pearce has recommended him to David Moyes at West Ham.

As Eastney has said above, let's hope if we do reluctantly decide to sell him in January or in the Summer, we demand big money for him. He can only get better.

The Ides of March likes this.
  12. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Good news that Jamal Lowe has signed a new contract up until Summer 2020.

The Ides of March likes this.
  13. 3rd eye

3rd eye Well-Known Member

Talks have begun with Kal Naismith for a new contract.

Still a way to go before any agreement is reached though.

14. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth are interested in a loan deal for Arsenal youngster Ben Sheaf this month, with Football Insider reporting that manager Kenny Jackett is keen to add the midfielder to his squad before the transfer window slams shut at the end of the month.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is considering allowing the teenager to leave the Emirates this month in an attempt to gain valuable first-team experience, with a number of clubs across the Football League considering an approach.

The 19-year-old made his first-team debut earlier in the season in the Europa League win over Red Star Belgrade in Serbia, and penned a new deal last month to tie his long-term future to the club.

Big lad at 6' 1" and a central midfielder - sounds about right !!

15. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

Could plug the temporary gap left by Rose but yet another loan player and, given his recent contract, not one that is likely to stay on.

16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey are monitoring Derby’s Jamie Hanson as the solution to their midfield shortage. With Danny Rose and Stuart O’Keefe sidelined until April at least, Kenny Jackett is aware he must recruit a replacement. That search has led him to Hanson, who has made 28 appearances for the Rams since emerging through their youth team. A midfielder who can also operate in defence, the 22-year-old certainly fits the bill for a Blues team desperate for another holding player in their engine room. 6'3" in height, and a former England Under 20 international.

Read more at: https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-monitor-derby-midfielder-1-8345707

17. EastneyPFC

No question that Ben Close needs help in the middle - he's a very good young player and I've been very impressed with his performances to date but he definitely needs a DM alongside him so he can thread his way with pass or movement into the forward areas. Looking at the shots on target stats on the Beeb Portsmouth page we could possibly look for another striker - that said highest % of shots on target belong to two of our own, Connor C and the aforementioned Ben C.

18. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've never liked the transfer window

Personally I always preferred the Arched Window

19. EastneyPFC

20. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Anton Walkes sounds like an interesting young player, Eastney. Big lad at nearly 6'2", and can play either central midfield, or anywhere along the back four.