1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jack Tucker

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by grumpygit, Nov 7, 2020.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Jack Tucker is having another good season IMHO, he will be 21 next Friday and a free agent next June.
    Does anyone else think it's time we offered him a new contract before he walks, I know we will get a tribunal fee either way, but would prefer us to have a long contract and force clubs to deal.

alwaysright and brb like this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

grumpygit, whilst I totally agree, I would add that we could do worse than extending the contract of Graham... So much of the positive side of our game revolves around him. He works hard - can demonstrate skill, produce several good crosses, as well as knows how to score.

grumpygit and brb like this.
  3. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Problem is can we afford to give longer contracts with hardly any income

grumpygit likes this.
  4. brb

brb CR250

Defo agree on Graham, top drawer player.

grumpygit likes this.
  5. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Well - we just got almost another £17,000 for scraping past Woking ... ........that's next season's player budget sorted.

A more serious answer is that Scally could decide to do nothing to extend the contract (( which would cost more )) - in the knowledge that if Tucker goes as a 'free' agent, Gills will still get 'some' money --- but-- despite the business acumen of Mr.Scally, he has often failed to understand that we'll get ripped off - with the loss of a larger transfer fee that can be obtained if Tucker is on a longer contract - than the measly money from a tribunal.

grumpygit likes this.
  6. brb

brb CR250

On the topic of Jack, I don't think we have the ability or resources to develop the lad. It's completely different to when you had the quality of players like Egan in the side. I would allow the lad to move on.

alwaysright and grumpygit like this.
  7. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I do agree about offering Graham a new contract, the trouble is I don't think we could afford his new value.
    With Tucker we have to offer a new contract to trigger the tribunal fee regardless of whether he signs it or not.

brb likes this.
  8. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

We did well on Egan deal as he was only a Gills player for 2 seasons and we still got 10/20 % when he moved on to sheff Utd.
    In a ideal world we should give Tucker longer contract. But these are not normal circumstances