1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jack Ross reminds me of the time...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Saf, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Peter Reid, arrived at the club.

We were a struggling side in the Championship and we were looking at relegation. The previous years had been really dire. He came in and saved us. Over the next couple of seasons, we watched as were promoted to the Premier league and then relegated again.

We knew that we had a good gaffer, even though the football was never better than average. However, we persisted with him and slowly but surely the football started to come together and we went through the dreamy years of destroying the Championship and consecutive 7th place finishes.

I think it's clear to see that, JR, has an identity and philosophy as a manager. I honestly think that consistency is crucial and if we give him time and if we support him through the inevitable setbacks that we'll face on our current journey, I believe that he'll bring us success and we are on our way like the Southamptons and Bournemouths who have done this journey, previously.

KTF

Dorset, malagamackem, RTB and 7 others like this.
  2. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

He's brilliant isn't he?

On the other thread he says something along the lines of "I deserve no credit as it's my job to make SAFC successful again". I love that as he's staying he understands that being in the top 3 of League One is nowhere near what is expected of him.

He has that aura of calm about him and the players clearly want to run through brick walls for the club and he's a huge part of that.

3. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think that he gets a bit of an easy ride because Stuart D and Charlie M draw a lot of attention away from him and on to themselves?

4. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Easy ride in what way?

Bar a couple of odd team selections he’s absolutely nailed it, he’s formed a team from a rabble and had us competing from day 1.

There’s been questions when required about said team selections but he has got pretty much everything right and I can’t say I’m anything but delighted with him. I’m convinced he was the perfect appointment.

5. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Not really. In fact, not at all.

The amount of upheaval he's been a part of means he's still learning about the players as well.

In my opinion we're probably just ahead of expectations.

Do you think he does?

Gil T Azell and smithy in nl like this.
  6. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

I don't mean it as a criticism of him

Usually the manager fronts everything at SAFC while the owners / directors enjoy a quiet life. That is not the case any more, and he is left to deal with football matters only

7. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

I was thinking after the last few years even Jesus Christ couldn't have performed a miracle and got us in the right direction. With JR he has gone about it quietly and effectively and got us playing a game with pride and passion. Players on the pitch now that's going to run through brick walls. Team selections in my view are all about hindsight....if your aunty had balls she would be your uncle type of thing. He clearly thinks a lot about what he does. You can have the best laid plans for mice and men but if someone gets sent off like what has happened a few times then plans do tend to go out the window. In my opinion we should tie the guy down to a long term contract and build stability at the club for the long term. What we got to watch here is another club seeing what he s doing and to try to poach him. The lad is doing a great job for us...

Gil T Azell, Dorset, RTB and 3 others like this.
  8. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Ah see what you mean. Probably a good thing to be fair, had our fair share of gaffers bleating about being hard done by.

This way we are all realistic, we know we ain’t going in for multi-million players and we are fine with that as a result.

9. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

Owners have to be accountable. I'm happy the way things are now. That said, I don't think he is having an easy ride or will have if things go wrong. But up until now he's got it 99% right.

10. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I agree with every word, it feels a bit head in the clouds to say it given our lowly status but I think Ross has all the hallmarks of a top manager. He's done great with our lot, it's similar to the effect that Keane had but Ross knows how to deal with people.

Dorset, Saf and LAMackem like this.

11. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

I think you're right , Portsmouths Manager has achieved much more, lets wait and see.
    He's done ok, Grayson walked teams out of this league. The usual suspects on here are talking Rhubarb as usual.

12. Saf

I know quite a few St.Mirren fans are coming to our game against Luton to show JR their appreciation to him.

Nice touch. Speaks volumes.

Nordic likes this.
  13. Saf

14. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Yes I can believe that this sort of thing makes it in to the Shields Gazette, because the Shields Gazette is a mag publication. They are obsessed and biased.

I was reading the match report when we beat their U21 team in the Checkatrade. All of the photos were of NUFC being in good possession while an SAFC player was trying to tackle them, with the back-drop of empty seats. You would have thought that they won the match and that it was played behind closed doors.

Also, no matter how well South Shields FC perform, they can never get Benitez off the back page.

Now they are giving publicity to morons and mags who have a twitter account and want to slag off SAFC.

Disgraceful

15. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

This is the worry I expressed on the match day thread. If we're not 5 up by half time on Friday, these idiots could carry their negativity and attitude through the whole week, and contribute to destroying instead of assisting a great opportunity

Saf likes this.
  16. Saf

I know we'll never get a fair hearing from the Gazette or Chronicle. It's our support that has given them the ammunition to publish this. I'd said on here after the Oxford game, that within a couple of hours, I'd encountered two people slagging Jack Ross and demanding him to be sacked. I can't get my head around it.

jdsafc and gelders pie like this.
  17. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Certainly wasn't me , I was far too p issed to have any opinion on Saturday night :emoticon-0131-angel

Ross is doing fine, we'll be averaging 2 points a game come 46 games, that'll take us up.

18. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

The people who are putting this negativity out there for the Shields Gazette to pick up and publish could only be described as "our support" at a significant stretch.
    Newspapers should see this for what it is, and stay right away from this.

19. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

I don't get the negativity. We just need consistency for a few years.

Saf likes this.
  20. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

People forget how poor we were to watch in the early stages under Reid. Ross has steadied a ship that was deeper than the titanic and we still have idiots wanting him sacked.

We've gone from being a team which lose far more than we win, to a team that, despite not playing great, still pick up points (and we score goals in every game somehow)

We need a bit of a tweak but, considering we haven't found form yet, we still sit with the season outcome in our hands - only us and Luton can boast that