1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's like we have never been away

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Jiffie, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

It looked as there was a shout - why else would Baker duck ?
    On reflection I can't think it was a defenders shout,so unless a cute attacker called 'keeper' to my mind it must be Bentley's fault.

2. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Agree entirely, for me a goalkeeper needs to stop goals, obviously if he can distribute well too that’s a bonus , I really don’t see the point in having a goalkeeper who’s distribution is good , but his decision making & shot stopping is poor , a decent keeper Saturday in my view would have possibly saved 2 of the goals, if the first goal hadn’t gone in when it did, who knows things could have been completely different. Also his indecision affects the whole team defensively . Sorry don’t rate him .

3. Redprintt

Never rated Fielding.
    To small and chicken.
    Always went down to an attacker's feet with his legs keeping his head as far away as possible.
    I remember especially Reading goals at AG from distance he should have easily saved.
    Was terrible at crosses and didn't have a clue where he was kicking the ball.
    Like you say we see things differently.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  4. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Goals. I am commenting on the first. If your centre backs drop off behind the penalty spot and are not marking what are they doing? Its their role to control that space. Aden Flint has been mentioned, I also agree that he would have dealt with the cross simply and easily.

5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Interesting that Frankie Fielding was a first team player in the promotion season that gave many people (not me) one of the ‘best seasons ever’ under Cotts.
    I always thought he was ok - not great, but when Maenpaa arrived my eyes opened.
    With Bentley, for me he seems to go through phases of being really good for a while (he almost single handedly kept the score down vs Leeds away) then really poor - like last Saturday (but to be fair there were a number of poor displays on Saturday, not just from Bentley). That inconsistency is probably a mental confidence thing, rather than ability (I bet he shines in training) - but we don’t have time for him to work through it.
    I rate Maenpaa higher. Bentley has his day, but Maenpaa is more consistent which is what we need.

6. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Really, you should have said.......

Maybe you have something against small people RP, Fielding and LJ are both small

7. Redprintt

I love Frankie Dettori.

8. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

In that case, I stand corrected.

Redprintt likes this.
  9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Only because he measures him on his horse.

Redprintt likes this.
  10. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I don't know what you have been looking at?, I froze the video at the time the Blackburn player struck the ball Kalas was in front of the penalty spot and Baker was practically stood on it, only Rowe who was about 6 inches behind the penalty spot both centre backs were marking men and perfectly placed, if I was being hyper critical then Rowe was not properly monitoring Gallagher who was behind him and it was his presence on the blind side that caused Bentley to take his eye off of the ball and flap at it, it was shocking goalkeeping.

But guess what? City's useless midfield was nowhere near closing the guy down, the closest was Eliasson 3 metres away, the next closest was Massengo at least 10 metres away the guy was 30 metres out, including Bentley there are 10 BCFC players in the frame all behind the ball, the closing down should have been done by a fully functioning and disciplined midfield, something we haven't had since Johnson arrived.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020

11. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Frankie Vaughan was quite tall <laugh>

12. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

ive had a look at it and two are behind the penalty spot and its got worse. they run away from the ball. on thousands of ££ and not heading it. I paid £2.50 a week to play on sundays and I would have cleared that. still could have done better than that now. Flint would have headed it all day long. maybe that is what LJ I son about hes got CBs in he cant trust to head the blood thingy.

13. Red Alert

Scared of it. you go back there fckn head it clear all day long.

14. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Frankie Bridge for me!

15. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Sorry to be pedantic but when the Blackburn player struck the ball, no CB's were behind the penalty spot, as the ball came in the CB's back peddled as you would expect also they were both marking players tightly, the striker who came into the far post should have been Rowe's man but Rowe was ball watching and never picked him up, he was allowed to come in behind and his presence caused the problem, either way CB's need a shout from their keeper and either never got one or the striker gave a shout, keepers mistake all day long.

As for your comment about LJ and the trust thingy, that is really funny. Every season that he has been with us and we are in the middle of our annual January to April meltdown that takes us out of the play off equation (3 seasons now) he comes out with his "I will have to select the players I can trust" bollox, i'm sorry but that is utter nonsense, so during our 8 games with a run slump, who has he been selecting? trustworthy players or untrustworthy players?, it's his team he signed them, him and his staff coached them, he selected the team, he formulated the tactics, if he cannot trust his own squad then he has done something wrong, he said this week "no excuses", I can't wait.

PS:- Don't forget for that first goal we had 10 players behind the ball, but no midfielder within 3 metres of the ball, what about closing down before the cross (because that's what it was) came in?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  16. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

it is a weird statement … has no real context

17. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Of course it's has context, Johnson when our annual January to April slump is ongoing (3 years and counting) is always banging on about picking players that he can trust and he then picks that team and we end up with the same pathetic performance, so who in his box of players after today who is left that he can trust?

I suspect if a poll was held I wouldn't be the one being tagged as weird.

18. Red Alert

today again??

19. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

No it’s not, he says it every season. And it is now becoming a boring statement and has no real meaning if it’s repeated. What I want to know is if he needs to pick players he can trust, why does he keep playing these players he don’t trust.

Angelicnumber16 and Jiffie like this.
  20. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

And how do we know which ones he does trust?, are they the ones from the previous 8 games? or are they the ones he chose today? and if they are the ones he chose today, does he still trust them now?

Of course the bigger question is, do the players that he may or may not trust, trust him, I suspect looking at the body language of the past 2 games, the answer is quite clear.

RedorDead likes this.