1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's Hurst

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, May 30, 2018.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

....And breathe!

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Came as a shock when I saw the news I must say.

4. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Obviously more going on in the background than was let on.
    Hope we can all now get behind the new man and the hype/pressure isn't too great to see immediate results.I'll be happy if he just gets us playing in a more organised fashion and will make an early prediction of a slightly improved League position of 10th.

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

6. Yorkiegit26

Yorkiegit26 Member

Welcome to the Town Paul
    Really pleased with this appointment and being concluded so close to the end of last season, which will give him the entire summer break to give existing playing staff the once over
    The general consensus of opinion on one of my previous threads regarding length of contract was 3 years so again this is quite pleasing
    All in all its nice to be excited about Ipswich and the forthcoming season
    Haven't felt that way in a long time

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Yorkiegit

I want to see a progressive approach to building the team, having a solid defence, being good off set pieces, possession football and picking out passes, getting some pace down the flanks, making Portman Road a fortress. Getting promoted in 2018-19 is way down the list of priorities. If Hurst puts those things in place the promotion will follow by the end of his contract. If we don't build a football team and just lump the ball forward like we have been we'll find ourselves no further forward.

Bigalreigned and Yorkiegit26 like this.
  8. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Welcome to TOWN Paul <ok>

9. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

10. Yorkiegit26

Yorkiegit26 Member

Will be interesting to see what effect this appointment has on season tickets

11. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

If you agree with the appointment or not.....must admit that Evans acted quick and decisive as soon as he was able.....and got the man he wanted....................once he knew he couldnt get Rowett..

<laugh>

Let’s all Paul in the same direction. #30yearsofHurst #Hurstsogood

12. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I've got a good feeling about the appointment, and he is one of the best up-and-coming British managers in football. I'm also glad that we acted swiftly to get the appointment confirmed, even though I'm not convinced we did everything by the book. Ah well, getting the right manager in is the main objective and this appointment has echoes of George Burley back in the 90s. I believe next season will be a transitional one, but Paul Hurst should hopefully have all our support.

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It will good to have fans, players and management alike all on the same frequency #30000Hz

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  14. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I think Hurst will have the fans support and if things don’t work out the fans will turn on Evans first imo.

15. ostlan

ostlan Active Member

What endears me is the fact that most people here aren't screaming for instant promotion and glory as some clubs fans would with the appointment of a new manager, but the realisation that with Paul Hurst's tenure it's going to be, and I hope it will be, a 'work in progress' scenario.

This just shows how realistic and supportive ITFC fans can be.

Welcome Mr Hurst :)

COYB!!!

16. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Very pleased with this - feel a very good appointment.

* We wanted lower league manager who had done the rounds, earned his stripes - CHECK.
    * MASSIVELY overperformed on pittance at Shrewsbury - lively to have to do the same again - CHECK.
    * Cup run much more likely to happen - CHECK.
    * Likely to give more kids a chance - CHECK.
    * Likely to play the game a more pleasing way than prior - CHECK.

So yeah, I'm pleased.

Now for the downside - clearly two.

1 - injuries. Cheerio McGoldrick and Hyam. So that DOES help. Dozzell I would say just unlucky, should be back - that helps.
    However, we still have Bishop / Adeyemi / Webster+ Huws. I really CANNOT comment on how good Adeyemi is - however we need people fit to compete. How many games are we going to get out of the other three? I guess in a roundabout way......... we can somewhat discount Bishop. If he plays, a massive bonus especially if he can get back to 14/15. Webster + Huws though - we need fit.

2 - budget. It's likely to be low. Hurst is going to need a bit of luck, hopefully a bit more backing than our previous and fill the right gaps.

I would say at the minute we're in DESPERATE need of -

* Goalkeeper. I'm convinced Bart is off. I'd love him to stay, however 3 player of the year awards in a row - Just made international debut, 30, deserves to be playing top flight.
    * CB - Webster made of glass / how good Chambers is I don't quite know at times. Tommy Smith has gone, CCV gone back on loan, at least 1 required if not 2.
    * Winger x 2 - depends what Rowe can do however going to discount him now.
    * Forward x 1

We're in chronic need of 5. CM is possible for more with certain players made of glass. Can see Knudsen going / not sure if Kenlock is strong enough.

More realistically, we require 7 / 8. Surely a few of the players Hurst is going to want to go, maybe Sears will in which case we'll need another striker.

Wildcard is the academy. IF the likes of Emmanuel / Kenlock / Woolfenden / Smith / Dozzell / Downes / Nydam / Folami / Bishop + OTHERS push on - jesus that just excited me typing that. Really helps!!!!

Final question - how are we going to do?

Well, Hurst has taken Shrewsbury to Wembley in two campaigns, why not dream!?

On the flip side, if we get injuries / don't get in who we want we're in trouble this season - make no bones about it.

I'll give a prediction based on pre season / spend / what others have done. Far too early for me to have any remote idea as to what this season has in store.

PAUL HURST'S BARMY ARMY!

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Westlake I set up another thread to discuss exactly this. IMO the type of injuries our players have been getting perpetually are caused by poor sports science and training. I don't agree that releasing Hyam and McGoldrick, who are both top Championship player when fit, was a smart move.

18. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

If we are not 20 point clear by the end of August get him sacked <whistle>

ostlan likes this.
  19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Welcome to Town, Paul.

Pretty happy with this appointment, for a change we actually targeted somebody doing well in his current job.

Here's hoping for some positive vibes around the place and on the pitch

Alhare likes this.
  20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

And for a change we have an England manager picking form over big names. Could be a great summer!

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.