1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

it's friendlies time

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Jul 12, 2012.

1. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Having read the responses to yesterday's game on LEP site, it quite surprising there was such a change of tone from angry & critical to appreciative with the reservation that NE need more strike power. Perhaps the AFC match on Tuesday will see further progress. Oh for an Alex Dawson!

2. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Just slightly before my time Barnet, Willie Irvine was my first main man. Change of tone because we should be beating the likes of Bamber Bridge, however the next 3 matches suspect those that will start against Huddersfield will get the majority of the game time

3. themaclad

A trip to the capital to take on AFC Wimbledon who in the last 10 years or so have risen up the leagues after the shameful decision of the Football League to franchise the original club to the soul less dump that is Milton Keynes.
    Suspect there will be a few in attendance from the North West I won't be one of them.

4. barnetpne

I shall be there expecting a 'solid performance'. These 'solid performances' can be dreary affairs but until GW sorts out the attacking what can one expect? At least, thanks to Ken & despite the blond hair twit of a mayor, it will not cost me a penny to get there.

5. themaclad

By the sound of it a fairly routine 4-1 win goals for Byrom 2 and Sodje 2 interestingly neither player has a contract with the club.
    -----

6. barnetpne

GIt was a decent enough work out. Sodje is a sound enough target man. He scored 2 scrappy goals. Monakana had the beating of AFC's defence - ran their left back ragged. Byrom's goals were well worked frm attacking play. Considering AFC's poor defence during the previous friendlies, perhaps we should not read too much into this game. When Sodje & Monakana were replaced, NE lacked penetration. That should be of concern: more sophisticated teams will suss this out. AFC, sorry to say, are not a good team. Hard working & keen, but with only one player that caused any backpeddling by NE, I think they will struggle next season. NE had him 'kettled' which AFC couldn't do to JM.
    A fellow NEnder said to me he expected NE to get promoted. In my opinion, not on this showing: hard to beat but needing more astuteness in attack. I couldn't help comparing Moyes' & Davies' teams with what I saw: some way to go yet.

7. themaclad

Thanks for that Barnet, work in progress is the phrase at the moment.

Next up dirty Leeds, will they be marching all together under Mr Warnock, tough last home friendly doesn't count for anything unless we win.

8. barnetpne

I wouldn't mind seeing this match. Neil Warnock prepares his teams well & this will be a decent test for NE. Have a lot of respect for NW, a down to earth bloke with good footballing knowledge & motivational skills. Pity NE never tempted him to manage the Lilywhites.

9. barnetpne

1 - 3 to Leeds United. NE hit bar a couple of times. Danny Pugh on for Leeds. I would have thought he was a bit lightweight for NW. Was it a good sort out for NE?

10. themaclad

Didn't go Barnet
    From reports a more than half decent performance, Leeds clinical around goal. Mousino scored a fine goal following a decent passing move. People seem to be happy with the team apart from goal scoring.
    Leeds brought about 3500

11. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

Preston played very good football, but fell asleep and looked disjointed in their own box. Leeds looked uninterested all game but still had the edge to win 1-3. Typical pre-season knockabout, as it goes.

Preston support absolutely dreadful (only a fiver for concessions to get in, what's up with you?!) Wouldn't surprise me if there were more Leeds there than PNE. Still, lovely ground and I hope we get to visit again in the near future. Best of luck.

12. themaclad

Some of us like watching cricket in non football season, also last week of Preston holidays, hell of a journey from Belo Horizonte, glad you enjoyed it.

13. Jerel Ifil

Yeah, I travel over for one game every season from Brazil and figured Preston was such a massive draw I was compelled to go there.

14. themaclad

Wise usage of air miles Jerel, enjoy the season<ok>

15. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

Hi there. What Barrio do you reside in? My good lady is from Buritis.

16. pompeymeowth

Staff Member

Ignore my last post! If you ever do go to BH visit the Mineirao, it's huge!

please log in to view this image

17. themaclad

Looks like Deepdale that Pompey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. pompeymeowth

Staff Member

I've been in it, you could fit FP in without touching the sides.

They have the very ball, used in the 1950 world cup, when England lost to the USA, in the football museum in the foyer.

19. Jerel Ifil

Very interesting pompeymeowth, although I'm glad you realized I was taking the Michael about flying over from Brazil. I'm actually in my bunker in West Yorkshire for the time being. I have a bit of a habit of putting bizarre places in my 'location' entry. I've been invited for a drink with an oil-rigger in Mexico and offered a punch-up by an angry West Londoner as a result of this.

I'll definitely give that beast of a stadium a visit if I'm ever round those parts anyway, you can rest assured!

20. themaclad

The last one before the real thing starts next Monday, bizarre one though a trip to Plymouth on a Tuesday night obviously Ridsdale organised this one. Suspect virtually the side which will start next Monday against Huddersfield will play tomorrow.
    -----