1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's a mad, mad world.

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Oct 18, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've had a sporting day today given that the weather was rubbish so it wasn't really worth going outside anywhere. I watched the Scotland v England rugby game this afternoon and what a strange sporting thing it was. After 25 minutes I was going to switch it off and not bother with the rest. It was becoming a cricket score rather than a rugby score and it was frankly embarrassing. But, because there was little else on I decided watching the Scots get absolutely crapped on was a reasonable option. Wow!!! Who would have predicted a second half like the one they produced. England seemed to think they were somehow in with a chance of winning the World Cup. News flash..................not a hope in hell after that.

I then watched Man U get beat by Wolves. That was much better.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Political correctness moves on......

I have had trouble buying Greenhouse Fumigator....(insecticide smoke for Greenhouses)....one ex-supplier said that they had had complaints about selling it because it kills flying and crawling insects....yes that's why you buy it for goodness sake.....someone one day will report us for digging up dandelions before their puff balls can disperse thousands of seeds all over the garden.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Tough environmental laws mean you can't disturb nesting birds in any construction or similar activities.

That means you can't touch trees though the first three months (ish) of the six month (ish) peak construction period when the weather is benign. That can effectively delay a project by a year if the weather gods are in a bad mood and the project kicks off at the wrong time.

Now the environmentalists are complaining because developers are netting trees in the winter that need to be felled to stop birds nesting in them in the spring.

I despair.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Waitrose has been forced to apologise for offering separate birthday cakes for boys and girls after a mother objected that they were sexist.

The complaint was made after the supermarket labelled pink cupcakes as being "for girls" and football-shaped treats "for boys" on it's website.

Other treats for girls featured unicorns, fairies and stars, while boys were given a choice between fire-engines, ladybirds and footballs. Waitrose has now removed the pages.

Louise Dillon, a mother of two, said she needed to speak out because she was worried that such marketing would be DAMAGING TO HER SONS.

Daily Telegraph Friday 19/04/2019 (part of a longer article).

My thoughts.....Political correctness is the big brother that is turning society on its head.....there are campaigning groups searching out such situations because they say that it is " reinforcing damaging gender stereotypes".

HOW DID THE REST OF US GROW UP REASONABLY SANE BEFORE "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" CAME ALONG TO PUT US RIGHT.

I have seen a little boy walking along the pavement pushing his little dolly along in its pram....and I feel worried to what that young boy will turn out like as he grows up....I'm sorry but that is how I see things....of course I'm in the wrong in todays world.

I could go on about rugby players quoting the bible and being threatened with the sack etc....yet doesn't our Courts of law ask us to swear an oath on a bible....so how is it right in one situation and wrong in the other situation.

5. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

:emoticon-0127-lipss todays younger generation are a complete joke!

6. notDistantGreen

Whatever you think, it's utter stupidity for a major retailer to offer products like that in this day and age.

7. notDistantGreen

And by the way, we didn't grow up sane did we? We all inherited racist and sexist attitudes and in this wiser and better age, we need to take conscious actions to rein them in.

Although I'm sure the fund of human knowledge won't be diminished by it but I fully support today's #enough campaign against racism in the game by professional and other footballers who will not participate in social media today, win, lose or draw.

8. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Also you don't have to swear an oath on a bible in Courts either. I don't give a monkeys what kid plays with what toy and I don't give a flying fig whether somebody is gay, straight or even slightly bent in the middle. Nothing to do with me whatsoever as long as they don't expect me to join in. I couldn't care less if somebody is black, white, slightly tanned or even ginger. I don't care where they come from either. I would and do speak to anyone no matter what and have no difficulty as long as they speak to me in a similar polite manner. Why some people have difficulty in this I have no idea. I have met plenty of lazy, fat uncouth English people in my lifetime so I cannot see what we have to be snotty about with anyone else. It has nothing to do with what generation you are from either it has everything to do with your state of mind and thought processes. I might also add that too much is blamed on religious beliefs for people's inhumanity to mankind. The problem lies with them not the content of a book.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

i support it also. enough is enough