1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's a mad, mad world.

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Oct 18, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've actually listened to some of the tech talk on this ovr the last couple of days. Apparently the atmosphere on Mars is thinner than at St. James Park on a Saturday so the time it takes to slow down is much longer than on Earth. The thing would be travelling at around 6 times the speed of a bullet when it went into the entry phase so they were not sure if it would slow enough to land rather than belly flop at great speed on the surface. They had to get it from the above sped to a jogging pace in 7 minutes. No pressure then. I think it all sounds quite marvelous really for somebody who used to listen to "Journey into Space" as an 8 year old on the wireless.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Great achievement to get it down in one piece.

My point was disappointment is that the BBC is employing people who don't know an object can't travel faster then the speed of light. no matter how chirpy they are at 6 am and how much they know about Strictly Come Get Me Out Of Love Island Brother.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Love Island too tacky for the BBC.....so is Big Brother fortunately.

4. notDistantGreen

Nothing is too tacky for BBC Breakfast. Actually watch Sky News some mornings in protest.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Earliest our telly ever goes on would be mid-day for the BBC Daily Politics followed by the 1pm news

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I only put mine on when I've woken up and had breakfast. That would be Countdown then..............

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Does that mean you miss 3pm kick-offs then....and sneak in free at H/T.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No I go straight to the ground and miss breakfast. I do buy a pasty on the way though. And a bag of crisps, and chips, and a mars bar. Oh and a packet of Jelly Babies. Well you can't take a drink in can you and I can't afford one of their's.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sounds like a real teenagers feast.....do you waddle off to the pub afterwards.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

What do you think I am some sort of grunter Sir? Bleddy cheek. I get a lift of course.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The future generation.

I have a newspaper delivered each day....last Wednesday I had no paper......this morning (Saturday) I popped in the Newsagent/Post Office to pay the bill and said that I had been one paper missing....an apology was given with an explanation.

They had a new girl on the round....Monday and Tuesday they were taken around the round and showed how it's done. Wednesday no paper....the girl had cocked it up mega style.

She is given a computer read-out sheet and then she fills her bag up from the list...putting the house number on each paper...sounds simple enough....she arrives back at the shop with numerous papers still in it and says she couldn't find the houses....started her round at 7am....got back to the shop 10am....by then most other paper boys and girls would have been at school for over an hour.

This new girl was actually a 22yr old women.....who had done a University degree at a well known University and believe it or not had not as yet found a job to use her vast bank of University knowledge......she phoned in sick on Thursday and hasn't been seen since.

I assume doing a paper round is not explained until you go for your masters degree.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

In the last fortnight it has rained 11 days out of 14 in NW Kent.....yet we read of reservoirs that are nearly empty.

One such reservoir in the Peak District National Park is Ladybower Reservoir....this one dates back to 1935-1943 when it was built.....at the bottom of it is the remains of the village of Derwent.

At present the water level is so low the village has been exposed....and lots of people have been visiting.....the result has shocked Peak District Wardens at the evidence of vandalization and graffiti.....there's always a moron available to cause trouble.....lift any stone.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Who bleddy cares for christ sake the bloody village spends almost it's entire life under water and not seen by anyone. It's not even a village anymore as nobody lives there. I think the clue about the empty or rather half empty resevoir and rain is in the distance between NW Kent and the Peak District plym. It probably hasn't rained 350 miles away for 11 days out of the last 14 there.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Received our first two Christmas cards on Saturday 1st Dec.....what do you do with Christmas Cards so far in advance of the day ?....misplace them likely ... and can't find them when you want to display them.

15. notDistantGreen

Police drivers who knocked moped thieves off their bikes under a new and well received Met Police policy are nevertheless to be referred to disciplinary procedures.

I don't know which is worse, that or pursuing through the courts now elderly soldiers who obeyed orders and fired their weapons at IRA terrorists who have themselves been given blanket pardons.

16. notDistantGreen

It's been a mad day.

Aaron Banks, the fraudulent Leave campaign funder, Trump confederate and Putin fellow-traveller, has sought to defend a tax demand by HMRC BY REFERENCE TO THE EUROPEAN CONVENTION ON HUMAN RIGHTS.

The astonishing hypocrisy of it.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well...it is a mad, mad world.

18. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Talking about Trump, is he still coming to Plymouth on the Mayflower celebrations as Mr. Hallett would surely be a great advisor to the Trump administration as he lives there and promote our beloved city and Argyle to them. Never know as make friends with him he doesn't forget! :emoticon-0138-think

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  19. notDistantGreen

I don't think any arrangement has been made. It's fair to say he'll get a "mixed" response wherever he goes in the UK.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I wouldn't get out of bed to see him even if there was a free glass or two and meal as a reward. There is just a rumour he "might" be coming.