1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Is this too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Feb 29, 2016.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Yep films going well, had a cache/buffering challenge for a bit, but overcome. Using the Beast on the advice of a mate, but when I get the energy I might reset and custom build, as I think it takes up a lot of space.

Does that add on you suggested above do the job?

Even more chuffed to finally discover that I can beam my desktop and iPad direct to telly to via AirPlay and virtually forgotten Apple TV. As Kodi worked much better on the Mac than this clunky android box ultimately I may switch the box to another TV and use that method for the big telly.

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

I've ditched Kodi - I'm using a lightweight version called TVMC - similar layout, but doesn't have half the bloatware on it.

I've never tried Kodi on laptop, but imagine the extra processing power would definately sort any buffering issues out - I have a 4GB USB stick in slot on box, and have it set as the buffer store, which seems to work ok for me.

sb_73 likes this.
  3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

That looks nifty, I may well wipe the box of all the crap which I will never use and try that version. And stick a USB in the back. Worked fine with the match tonight though.

4. TWGWTDT

TWGWTDT Well-Known Member

I have zero problems with Kodi on three computers one being Ubuntu the other two Mac. These box things should deliver the same performance surely? Are your tubes being choked
    Internet speed is internet speed always thought its that simple IMO
    Why would a Tv box not be able to handle streams it's what they are designed to do? In the UK I have an Apple TV no problems in France I can watch three different films at once ... It has to be your speed?

5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Speed on everything else in the house is fine. I think I'm just a bit impatient with it. And I don't like android.

6. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I've got the movies working now. I can watch just about anything in perfect HD.
    The sports is sorted too, although I only need it if it's not on sky.

QPRski and Steelmonkey like this.
  7. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

I read a review that said the quality of the stream depended on the amount of people watching it at the time with these boxes. Mine arrived at the weekend and I haven't set it up yet.

8. sku

sku Well-Known Member

'One or more items failed to play'.

I suspect my ISP is identifying a local IP.

As such, does anyone have any suggestions for a reliable DNS service (rather than VPN) that doesn't require a subscription?

9. Steelmonkey

Who's your ISP? There are issues with BT - check the link below for a work-round

https://seo-michael.co.uk/fix-bt-home-hub-kodi-issues/

10. sku

sku Well-Known Member

Thanks Steelmonkey. I did something similar on setup. So effectively I've already leapt through that hoop.

I'm now considering using unblockr to get around geo blocking. What's not to like?

Steelmonkey likes this.

11. Congleton_QPR

Congleton_QPR Active Member

I've recently bought one of the amazon firesticks. Having downloaded kodi and then installed the add ons exodus, castaway and phoenix I now have all sports channels sky movies, music and kids stuff and more films and box sets than I ccould possibly watch. I'm well chuffed with it.
    Tip for any technophobes like myself is to follow one of several step by step guides on youytube. Done like that you can' t go wrong

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    kiwiqpr likes this.
  12. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

so now you all have been using for a while and i have finally got around to buying one
    how has it been
    any tips
    thanks for the thread reminder steel

Steelmonkey and UTRs like this.
  13. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

I have yet to get any sports stream working. However my son had installed an operating system and it wanted a plug in that it won't load for some reason. I'm going to reset the box to get rid of the operating system.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Haven't used it for a bit because our games aren't shown anywhere at the moment. Works great for films and box sets, can be frustrating with live sports with lots of people watching, buffering kicks in and you waste a lot of time fruitlessly changing channels to get a better stream. But I may be doing something wrong.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  15. Windom Earle

Windom Earle Well-Known Member

I have found that good housekeeping on kodi is a much

I often delete the apps and reinstall

I have a few macs running it but I use a Mac mini as primary just for Kodi now and in France it works beautifully

I have lashed out lately on new kit and have to say latest Apple products are simply superb

One thing I noticed is the data fiqures now sold with phones etc 2gb 2 years was ample ... I just got 30Gb on a new 7 and will get more on a iPad Pro as its all changing as Adobe cloud that I use is moving very quickly onto iPad ... 4g miles faster than wifi in the U.K.

It's all changing very quickly
    Expensive but no looking back

16. stick

stick Bumper King

I have two boxes. One here and one in Spain. They both work perfectly well and when I am in Spain I am able to watch IK tv live.
    I am a complete technophobe yet I have been able to set my boxes up and download the apps I want.
    As a racing fan I can now watch Racing UK and ATR for nothing!
    What I would advise is to get a better box. The one I have in the UK is MINIX X8-H plus and it is brilliant. It doesnt come preloaded with Kodi but I was able to do this very easily for free from google play.
    It is surely only a matter of time before the boxes become illegal.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Just got a (work provided) 7 yesterday. Very sleek and fast. And huge storage, backed up from the cloud and now have all my music and a good few films and have barely scratched the surface. Lobbying hard to get a work iPad Pro so I can use my laptop as a static storage thing and not cart it around everywhere.

Also pondering jail breaking ancient Apple TV and loading Kodi on to that, as it worked much better on Mac than on the android box. Would that be hard to do?

18. Windom Earle

19. Windom Earle

Current Apple upgrades today are significant enough for even tight arse me to spend

I think a jailbreak of a Apple TV is fine on a gen2

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/apple/how-jailbreak-apple-tv-2-3-4-tvos-2016-3594437/

sb_73 likes this.
  20. Steelmonkey

I have four boxes in my house - the oldest one is now having some problems, but as it only cost £25 three years ago, it's served it's time.

As above, the more you spend, the better the quality - I have no issues with any box-sets and films, and rarely suffer from any issues on the rare occasion that one of our games are shown on TV (the way we're playing at the moment, it's amazing anyone is watching them!). Managed to watch the entire Ryder Cup in full HD, with no buffering, but think football suffers a bit on quality with the streams sometimes, as there is so much information constantly changing, whereas golf is a fairly static game.

My Kodi is stripped right down and I only have five or six add-ons active. Sports Devil is the one I use for football, and can usually find the required stream with no issues - although some links do drop out, but it's no different than streaming from web-sites on your PC. Phoenix Sports also seems to be ok for Sky and BT games.

Windom is right, 4G is becoming a lot faster than wi-fi these days - I'm currently rolling out Vodafone and O2 4G networks rurally up here, and they are regularly getting speeds of 40-50Mbps, whilst I can get 80Mbps on my EE phone at home, whilst I only get 35Mbps through my wi-fi in the house!

QPRski and kiwiqpr like this.